The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] NHL looking at more goalie equipment reductions for 2013-14

NHL looking at more goalie equipment reductions for 2013-14:

Last week, a report surfaced claiming the NHLPA had approved the NHL’s recommendation to decrease goalie pad height for the upcoming season.

Now, it appears more reductions could be on the way.

Speaking with In Goal Magazine, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said additional equipment reductions — specifically, measurement regulations and kneepad contouring — will be brought before the NHLPA and possibly implemented for the start of the season.

“We have the Players’ Association commitment to going back to the goaltender group on kneepads and some of the other additions that [NHL goalie equipment czar] Kay Whitmore has in mind to do,” Daly explained. “It is an ongoing process.

“We are going to get some movement this year with respect to goaltending equipment, but it’s going to continue to be a work in progress.”

As mentioned above, the NHLPA already OKed downsizing the height of goalie pads, which would essentially create larger five holes for shooters (for a lengthy, detailed explanation, click here.)

The issue with more changes to goalie pads is timing.

Equipment manufacturers need time to make these pads and, with specifics and regulations still not set in stone, producing legal gear in time for the start of the season could prove difficult.

That said, Daly and Whitmore see it differently.

“On Kneepads, what [Whitmore] wants to do, as I understand it, is not a manufacturing issue,” Daly said. “So if we get goaltender buy-in, it is something we can actually implement for next season.”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/25/nhl-looking-at-more-goalie-equipment-reductions-for-2013-14/

Not that I disagree about the NHL changes but...the equipment is too big, goaltenders are bigger now and so is their equipment(bigger than necessary for protection). Something needs to be done to increase scoring in the NHL or we will have 1-0 soccer scores or 1-0 baseball games, which I tbelieve is a problem for the viewers. Its like anything, people find loopholes in the system to work to their advantage. I wore 29" leg pads in earlier years and finished with 34", which was all I could move around in,. all part of the evolution of the game. Goalie catching gloves cover easily twice as much net as they did in the 60;s 70;s. It all diminishes scoring. just my thoughts on it.

Did luongo say he was going to retire if they did something like this?

I dont have a problem with it. People need to understand that it is a business and north american viewers love big scores. Remember the PIT-PHI series that had a billion goals? That was considered one of the most exciting series in recent memory and it was all because of the goals. People were on the edge of their seats the whole game.

I say cut down the height of the shoulder pads. Keep the chest protectors the same. Cut the blocker down to fit the forearm and hand and that is all. Catching mitt no bigger than a baseball catching mitt. No cheater.

The leg pads can go to the top of the knee. put padding under the pants for above the knee and thigh. This way it cant also hang down over the 5 hole.

My .02

Did luongo say he was going to retire if they did something like this?

I dont have a problem with it. People need to understand that it is a business and north american viewers love big scores. Remember the PIT-PHI series that had a billion goals? That was considered one of the most exciting series in recent memory and it was all because of the goals. People were on the edge of their seats the whole game.

Not exactly sure why you quoted my post, but okay...

The NHL and NHLPA have already agreed to a 10% reduction in goalie pads (in June I believe) and before that change even went into effect the NHL is already demanding even more. That was my point.

But, while we're on the topic, I've never actually seen evidence that goalie equipment size is a major factor in lowered scoring. (Has the NHL ever even bothered to actually study the issue rather than simply going with the observation, "Scoring is lower. Goalie pads are bigger." and assuming the latter caused the former.)

Of course goalies have bigger and better equipment now than they did 50 years ago. Technology is better. And they're facing shooters with high tech composite sticks that allow them to shoot pucks much harder and faster than ever before. If shooters get the best of new equipment to help them do their jobs better, why would goalies have the same equipment their forefathers of the sport did?

As a great article aptly titled Why Goalie Equipment Was Not Responsible for the Scoring Drop said:

I happen to agree with that. While I agree there does need to be a limit (and the 10% reduction is probably about as much as is necessary) simply reducing goalie equipment will not address the issue of lowered scoring. If it has any effect, teams will simply focus more on blocking shots and more shutdown defense to make up for the difference.

Frankly, I think the lowered scoring is simply a natural evolution of the sport. Any changes made to artificially increase scoring will be temporary at best as it will always be in the teams' best interest to figure out a way to overcome those changes.

Sometimes Poetica, you just plain miss the boat! Yes players have composite sticks which are more accurate than and shoot harder which should lead to more goals than less and every player has a shot now, not like the old days when teams had 3-5 good shooters.I did state, if you read it. The equipment is bigger than necessary for protection. Improved technology does not necessarily mean bigger, just better. If the net is 4x6 and goalies are bigger, with bigger equipment and cover more of that 24 sq feet, how can scoring opportunities not go down .Now, ask yourself, why would the NHL want gear to be smaller. Maybe they did a study, and Kay Whitmore, who spearheads goalie equipment, goes back to the 60's in goal and knows the evolution of the game, especially in goal. I doubt you were even alive then! Yet you prefer to believe one single article that contradicts popular belief. I believe if someone said grass was green, you'd look for an article to contradict it. I just wish, for once, you'd agree with people who know more than you. Of course,I never played NHL, which is your yardstick for credibility, so I'll exclude myself to make it easier for you to accept.

one thing to note...the KHL plays on a larger ice surface...more room to skate and make plays, more room behind the net, different shooting angles. The NhL ice surface has become too small for 10 skaters(all bigger now) and 4 officials.

• 1 month later...

There has been a lot of complaints by some extra-padded goaltenders as of late. Crawford. Lundqvist. etc. And with good reason. More padding to cover the 5-hole has helped lead teams to cups. imho.

Recent cup winning goaltenders.

Look at where the knees are and where the pad tops end up:

crawford-940.jpg

Yeesh. Knees still wide apart.

Jonathan+Quick+2012+NHL+Stanley+Cup+Final+BgKiyvw8Umvl.jpg

Overlapping?

http://s4.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20110616&t=2&i=439917698&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=2011-06-16T025513Z_01_BTRE75F084700_RTROPTP_0_NHL-STANLEY

Double-stack protection when knees closed? And the stick? Needed?

chicago_u_niemia_300.jpg

Good God.

Pavel+Datsyuk+Marc+Andre+Fleury+Stanley+Cup+SN46C_zPs16l.jpg

Locked tight.

osgoodx.jpg

Well, we've seen worse so far.

Giguere? 'Nuff said.

And now... For those conspiracy theorists out there... The recent cup losing goaltenders:

Rask.jpg

6498425.jpg?size=620x400

Roberto+Luongo+Boston+Bruins+v+Vancouver+Canucks+IfDtgN4yV1pl.jpg

Sergei+Bobrovsky+9iCmdTJZ_ugm.jpg

Honestly, the Red Wings/Pens back-to-backs look fair.

Giguere vs. Emery though? Hmm...

Not saying that goalie pads are the sole reason for cup wins, but imho average to sub-average goalies become outstanding when they put these huge pads on. A factor? You bet.

The Niemi and Crawford ones in particular look pretty bad. Just sayin'

Archived