The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] NHL requesting Seattle team for 2014-15 season and onwards

I think they should just expand to Portland and Seattle.

16 and 16 in each conference.

Then in a few years, relocate either Florida or Pheonix to Quebec. (Most likely Pheonix)

Then after a few more years, they could relocate the other one if it is still a reasonable idea. If the league is stable, a second relocation would be unlikely.

What it would eventually look like...

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Anaheim

Calgary

Chicago

Colorado

Columbus

Dallas

Edmonton

Los Angeles

Minnesota

Nashville

Portland

San Jose

Seattle

St.Louis

Vancouver

Winnipeg

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Boston

Buffalo

Carolina

Detroit

Florida (Possibly Relocated)

Montreal

New Jersey

NY Islanders (Brooklyn Islanders)

NY Rangers

Ottawa

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Quebec

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Washington

It was a bit unrealistic to move Winnipeg to the west, but if Pheonix was relocated to an Eastern Location, someone from the east would have to move to the west to balance out the conferences. Moving Detroit back to the west would be unrealistic considering they were recently moved to the eastern Conference.

Otherwise we could move Florida to Quebec instead of Pheonix. That way Pheonix could relocate to a Western Location, not sure where, but thats another way it could go down.

+1 for quoting Lewis Carroll...

I think Seattle and Portland would be ideal. Balances out the conferences and pretty much creates a true "Pacific" division. I feel bad for Quebec City, but like others here, I think that their best bet is relocation. (Most likely by on of the Florida teams)

I know a lot of people would prefer to see contraction, rather than expansion, but let's be honest here: That's never going to happen. I honestly don't see a big issue with adding two more teams to the mix. Yes, it waters down an already "ultra-lite" product, but I think the reality of the Cap era means that we'll just end up seeing more young players on ELCs make the jump to the NHL, rather than yet another season for the Patrick Eaves' of the NHL.

Although I know he's never shown any interest in owning a professional franchise, I've always thought it would be cool to see Gates involved in a Seattle team. He and and Allen could compete for the "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" Cup every season....

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm maybe Kelly is correct, neither city should have a team. I guess I did not properly research the size of Las Vegas to see that it, like Seattle, would be inadequate for holding an NHL team. Looks like the original suggestions of Houston and Atlanta are still the two best ideas.

I admit my error, and apologize...

I think Saskatoon would have no problem creating a large fan rabid base, the difficult part would be the fans actually going to the games. Riders fans travel from all over Saskatchewan, but that's in sunny weather for games that are once a weekend. Good luck getting thousands of people to travel on Tuesday night in -25 weather.

Archived