The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion]re-signing the Sedins

940-sedins-burrows.jpg

Just as a disclaimer I'm the last guy who wants to see any of the current core roster traded or not re-signed. That being said, I wonder how long the Canucks can keep going with the Sedins. So.....

If you MG what do you do? Re-sign long term so they can finish their careers here? Is that a smart move for the team, long term? Short term contract instead? Would the Sedins accept that? Are they going to expect bigger pay days in their next contract? If all else fails does MG make a trade?

If was the GM I would try and talk them into a 3 year extension but still tell them the team is committed to keeping them until they retire so after the 3 years we will re-sign them for 1-2 year contracts. Kind of like Linden was doing to end his career.

This would be a good move for the team just in case (not that I think it will happen though) they start declining. A lot of risk in a long term deal with players going into their mid-30's.

Just imagine we signed them to a 7 year deal (with cap hit of perhaps $5-6M as an example) and after the first 3 years they are longer 80pts players, but become 2 liners, they would be hated by the fans and people will be calling for Gillis' head (even more so than they are now).

I believe they are still able to be invited to compete for a spot (as long as they are still playing on a pro team).

Looking at the 2014 invitees' of Sweden, they have a number of players who are either playing in the SEL (and/or a competitively similar league/team) or are property of an NHL team. Canada and the USA have the luxury of having a core roster of NHL players but other nations don't, and use their own home-grown talent from other pro leagues to complete their roster.

Archived