The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Post Surgery - Hardware Removal

nux4lyfe

So I am about 3 month's in to post-surgery (I have 4 screws in my left ankle - 2 on each side) and I saw my doctor today and we starting discussing about removing the screws about 6 weeks down the road..He said that leaving them in would be no problem and I should prob leave them in.

My question is, Has anyone been in a similar situation?

He told me that it is totally up to me, I do work in a pretty cold environment so I was thinking if the cold would effect my ankle in any way with the hardware getting cold and what not..

Also, Is there any negatives about getting another surgery (besides the surgery of course) to get the screws taken out? Is it a long healing process?

I'm kinda set on getting them taken out but I've had some mixed opinions, Any past experiences or info would be appreciated, Thanks.

If it doesnt bother you, leave it or potentially have it be worse off if taken off and possibly weaker/ less stable. Google it forsure, doubt many of here have had such done.

I say go with your doctors recommendations, if it starts annoying you later then talk about removing them. Just my opinion, screw the extra surgery and recovery.

I have had the exact same thing in my ankle since I was 11, I'm 32 now.

Played hockey till I was 18, worked on the rigs, and did whatever else.

No problem at all whatsoever.

Edit - my doctor said to take them out if they ever bothered me

I got mine from falling off a roof putting up Christmas lights with my uncle, how bout you?

I have had the exact same thing in my ankle since I was 11, I'm 32 now.

Played hockey till I was 18, worked on the rigs, and did whatever else.

No problem at all whatsoever.

Edit - my doctor said to take them out if they ever bothered me

I got mine from falling off a roof putting up Christmas lights with my uncle, how bout you?

I would definitely leave them in. I have have screws and a titanium rod in my left leg and it's fine, no problems besides a tiny irritation if it gets hit head on in sports. However, my friend tried to have his removed and they could only get part of it out, it ended up screwing up his leg pretty good and it was very painful.

It is advantageous to get them removed. It is not harmful to leave them in but it is usually better to get them removed. The procedure you're talking about would not be invasive. It is not like getting a nail removed from your femur or tibia which is another common trauma procedure. Recovery would be minimal provided the bone is fully healed and you do not have a nonunion.

You're biggest risk factor (although still quite small) would be infection. This is a risk in any surgical procedure.

Oh and by the way I work in orthopedics so I'm not just giving you random information.

I separated my ankle pretty severely playing hockey when I was 18. There was so much pressure on the ankle that it broke my Fibula about 3 quarters of the way up my calf. Doctor didn't see the separation on the Xray that night, just the break. Sent me home in a half cast. A week later my ankle was the size of a softball and I was in excruciating pain.. Went back in to the hospital and doctor told me I needed surgery NOW.

Anyway, they installed 3 titanium rods right through the ankle. About a year and a half later I was having quite a bit of pain in the ankle again. Went back to the doctor at the hospital and he told me that the rods were broken. Im assuming this happened from either hockey again or snowboarding.

Had surgery again to take out the broken pieces but he couldn't take all of it out because part of them had fused to the bone. To this day I still have trouble with it, not nearly as much as before but if I'm in an awkward position (kneeling, cross legged) for a while then it is very stiff and sore when I have to move again.

I would suggest if the hardware is not giving you any trouble to leave it in. There is no harm in having some extra support in there. But if you do decide to take them out, the recovery after the surgery is pretty minimal. Good luck

:)

Thanks for all the input everyone, I am really gonna have to think about this, Also, To those of you that have been through the process, How long did it take you to make a full recovery post-surgery...I know everyones diff but It'd give me a rough idea, Thanks.

Archived