The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Filling The Gaps

Watermelon

Schroeder can't play in Utica without clearing waivers. So Schroeder has to play in the NHL.

Sedins - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Schroeder

Booth/Higgins - Gaunce - Hansen

Higgins/Booth - Richardson - Weise

Sestito/Santortelli

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Garrison - Corrado

Alberts/Weber

Lu

Lack

This looks great!

Gotta admit, As soon as we add 1 D (Hainsey) and 1 forward (Boyes) capable of playing top minutes our depth looks sooo good. I also always pegged Boyes with the Twins, but suddenly with this line up Kesler has two guys with him who can both pass and score.

What's your thoughts on Kuba should we not get Hainsey? Wade Redden?

Just because Schroeder has to clear waivers does not mean he has to make the Canucks. If he's not good enough - which he likely isn't - he's not good enough. Then he will either clear waivers or not - neither result will hurt the Canucks. This is a 'top six guy' who has proven nothing offensively even in the AHL, and he is way too small and defensively challenged to be anything but top six. It is very risky drafting smurfs unless they display awesome offensive or defensive talent - and Schroeder really hasn't done that as a pro.

If Corrado does well in camp and pre-season I see him sticking. He showed well last year in his limited games played. Torts said that he is going to give the "kids" a lot of room to play. Obviously paraphrasing here, but it sounds like there are a few that will get legitimate chances to either play (Corrado, Gaunce, Horvat) or contribute more (Kassian). If Alberts isn't comfortable with the break-out, or misses a check I would not be surprised if Corrado gets a shot over him. I can't speak for Weber because I don't really know him.

If we sign one more contract without trades it should be a depth centre for the very likely situation that the 'kids' are not ready to make the jump. David Steckel made 1.1 mil last year and is a good face-off guy. He could fill in a 4th line centre roll nicely for the right price.

Archived