The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Philadelphia's, Pittsburgh's cap situation what can the Canucks do?

Plum

I was looking at the cap payrolls and looked for teams over the cap that need to get under it. The teams that caught my eye were Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, they have no RFAs to sign but they are both over the cap by 1 million+. Their top 9 don't look really great either, although PIT has Geno and Sid.

Philadelphia's top 9:

Voracek - Giroux - Hartnell

Simmonds - Lecavalier - Read?

Schenn? - Couturier? - Talbot/Rinaldo/Laughton? Their top 9 looks weak with Schenn, Couturier, Talbot/Rinaldo/Laughton. It is safe to say their top 9 isn't very strong and being over the cap by 2 million doesn't help their chances to make it any stronger. That is where we can come in.

Pittsburgh's top 9:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis

Neal - Malkin - Jokinan?

Bennett - Sutter - _____ < Possibly, Vitale? D'Agostini? Again just like Philly they have holes in their lineup and are over the cap.

These 2 teams don't have any prospects who can really jump into that top 9 and fill that role. Maybe Cousins? Pittsburgh's D is nothing to concern about, but maybe they can trade one of their prospects for a player who can step into that spot, (Jensen?). Some of these players I feel uncomfortable to put into their top 6, (Read, Jokinan, Philly's and Pit's 3rd line RW). Even Pittsburgh's goaltending is something to concern about since Fluery has been shaky, even though Vokoun had a decent playoff run I don't know if their goaltending problem is solved.

This is where I want to hear some proposals of yours including these teams, I would like to see some proposals that will involve what I'm talking. I will be including some of my own proposals into this thread but I have just started thinking about this no less than half a hour ago. What are some of your proposals?

Edit: Talked to a Pittsburgh fan and he told me that the 9-13 forwards are where it looks bad. Thought of a trade maybe this?

To VAN: Harrington, 5th round pick.

To PIT: Jensen, Polasek.

Just because another team is having cap problems doesn't mean we should be asking "what can the Canucks do?".... If the right deal presents itself to us then we can potentially make a trade with them, but we are short on cap space ourselves and to be honest I like the look of our team right now.

Schenn and Couturier are wildcards. Big name prospects only 22 and 20 and both have only played 110 and 123 games due to the short season. Both will be entering their 3rd season and especially if you look at Flyers prospects this is often the year they breakout. For reference Carter, Richards, Giroux all had massive production spikes in year 3.

With that being said the Flyers line 3 will likely be Read - Couturier - Talbot. Couturier is already a great 3rd line center given his defensive side and Talbot is the perfect 3rd line player also very strong defensively and gritty but possess a strong offensive touch for a 3rd liner. Read himself is underrated but offers a nice offensive compliment it could be one of the most dangerous line 3's in the NHL if Couturier's offensive upside kicks in this year.

It should also be noted Gagne will likely attend the Flyers training camp and many believe they will sign him and he would be a perfect line 3 player given his defensive abilities that would be a very strong defensive group with Couturier and Talbot.

Personally I didn't see any concerns with ether team though. Nether team lost anything that they can't make up for and both teams are always among the best offensive teams. Pitts was runaway #1 last year and even Philly who had players struggle was still #9.

Schenn will likely play on the top line with Giroux and Hartnell.

Schenn and Couturier are wildcards. Big name prospects only 22 and 20 and both have only played 110 and 123 games due to the short season. Both will be entering their 3rd season and especially if you look at Flyers prospects this is often the year they breakout. For reference Carter, Richards, Giroux all had massive production spikes in year 3.

With that being said the Flyers line 3 will likely be Read - Couturier - Talbot. Couturier is already a great 3rd line center given his defensive side and Talbot is the perfect 3rd line player also very strong defensively and gritty but possess a strong offensive touch for a 3rd liner. Read himself is underrated but offers a nice offensive compliment it could be one of the most dangerous line 3's in the NHL if Couturier's offensive upside kicks in this year.

It should also be noted Gagne will likely attend the Flyers training camp and many believe they will sign him and he would be a perfect line 3 player given his defensive abilities that would be a very strong defensive group with Couturier and Talbot.

Personally I didn't see any concerns with ether team though. Nether team lost anything that they can't make up for and both teams are always among the best offensive teams. Pitts was runaway #1 last year and even Philly who had players struggle was still #9.

Schenn will likely play on the top line with Giroux and Hartnell.

Archived