The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hybrid icing approved by NHLPA

hockeyville88

Hybrid icing is a mixture of touch and no-touch icing. It gives a linesman the discretion to blow his whistle and stop the play if he believes a defending player will reach the puck first. If the linesman believes the attacking player has a chance to reach the puck first, he keeps his whistle in his pocket and lets the race to the puck play out. The linesman always will side with the defending player and blow his whistle if he feels the race is a tie by the time the players reach the faceoff dots.

If the Sedins try that dump in play from their own side of center, they have to make sure that the puck retrieving Sedin is clearly going to be first to the puck. If there is any doubt as to who will get there first, the officials will likely whistle it down. But if the retriever is clearly winning the race and is going to get there before his opponent, I think that play will still be able to be utilized.

I beleive this new rule is going to cause some major controversy

especially when it comes down to crucial games

if the linesman dont know how to call it properly, straight recipe for disaster

and how linesman and refs are never on our side( i mean NEVER ever ever ..etc)

this could cause major problems for us

They've been doing it in NCAA for a while now and it works well. you preserve a decent part of the race (to the dot) and you prevent injuries. it's somewhat inconsistent, but not that much more inconsistent as determining who touches the puck first, which is wrong half the time when the play is close anyway.

The NHL has been talking about hybrid icing for years, and now that it's in - honestly, who can say it was a bad decision?

Now that it's in, I'm actually a little bit scared so here's the question:

How many times in the playoffs will the 'hybrid' icing be waved off, and how many times will it be waved off in a Canucks game?

Potentially - 56 games to be played

Archived