The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hybrid icing approved by NHLPA

hockeyville88

Dan Rosen@drosennhl

Bill Daly says on NHL Live that hybrid icing has been approved by the NHLPA. It will be implemented this season, starting tomorrow night.

Matt Sitkoff@msitkoffNHL

Bill Baly on NHL Live says NHLPA approves Hybrid Icing for regular season @NHLNetworkMatt

Steve Mears@MearsyNHL

Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, on @NHL Live now, informing us that hybrid icing has been approved for the upcoming season. @NHLNetwork

Must have been overwhelming approval. It's the only reason they'd implement it so quickly.

Thoughts on this? IMO, it'll slow down the game a bit, but it is so much safer for the players now. Thank goodness.

I wasn't sure it'd go through after some initial player reactions came out. But I'm good with it in place.

I don't think it'd slow down the game, but rather speed it up (if only slightly). If they blow the whistle earlier on plays that aren't that close, then the following faceoff should be that much faster.

It doesn't remove the race for the puck, where the most danger is likely to happen, but avoids accidents in mean nothing chases at least. I just hope the linesmen are able to factor in the angles for a team that will get to the puck first, like in the example of the Sedin play off the end boards from their own half.

I love it, There are so many situations where I just completely cringe when I watch guys racing for a puck, as a fan - you KNOW how high the risk of somebody falling in a race for the puck like that is, they give it 110% in those races, I'm glad to see this in, it's going to stop ALOT of injuries.

Henrik and Daniel had a stretch play where Henrik would shoot it hard from his side of center into the corner where it would bounce out perfectly to a streaking Daniel for a scoring chance, it worked at least once I recall.

Would this rule eliminate that play?

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/02/25/breakdowning-daniel-sedins-second-goal-versus-the-detroit-red-wings/

Archived