The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cody Hodgson wants to make one thing clear: His dad didn’t get involved

The Kassian vs Cody situation,... altho comparing apples to oranges,... has one factor that the Canucks may have, ironically, failed to weigh.

Attempting to mold a young pugilistic-player into a snarly power-forward... comes with risks. This player may already be suffering from the consequences of playing signifigant minutes in such a role. Hodgson is more cerebral & has embraced Pro hockey life, while deftly avoiding a lot of skirmishes out there. Kassian seems far more daunted by the heightened exposure & scrutiny. Kassian may not even have his heart in being a career pugilist...like Semenko was for Gretzky. He may already have some focus issues, sleep deprivations, or other restless behaviors commonly associated with persons who have suffered head trauma, concussions or brain injury.

Altho' Kassian is evidently not as mature as Hodgson, at present,...is it a lack of maturity...or perhaps that he is simply not a completely sound template to build upon? Only he & his doctors know, & this they may not even know for sure.

The Canucks, more than most, should have realized all of the inherent risks that fighters in pro-hockey face in their roles.... some of those risks greater than any player should have to endure in the name of entertainment. That's why I'd be very disappointed...if the risks associated with Kassian weren't all "properly assessed" before he was acquired.

First of all, it's a Gallagher article. I didn't even have to look at the website to know it was him. He's so negative about everything.

My guess as to what happened would be to do with the concussion and the injury he suffered. Remember when he refused the trainers the Canucks were offering him and he went his own way? I bet that has something to do with it all. This doesn't mean Gillis messed things up. We don't know enough to accuse him of that. This also doesn't mean Cody messed up either. To me, it sounds more like there were differing opinions on how Cody should go about getting healthy.

You can blame whoever you want about this, however, the trade did help Cody out overall. It's unlikely he'd be getting the role in Vancouver he's getting now in Buffalo. Some of us may want him back. My question to this would be how selfish would it be to want him back in order to risk placing him in a smaller role than he is playing now.

If you didn't want Kassian in return who would you want, and what guarantee would there be that that person would actually help us out? Sure. Bring out your stats, what that player did in the past, what that player could do, but I know that no one can really guarantee that player's going to play as well on this team as he would on his former team. Just look at Brad Richards as an example.

Move on everyone. What's done is done. You have no proof that going any other direction would benefit us better than where we're at now, so don't try.

You can blame whoever you want about this, however, the trade did help Cody out overall. It's unlikely he'd be getting the role in Vancouver he's getting now in Buffalo. Some of us may want him back. My question to this would be how selfish would it be to want him back in order to risk placing him in a smaller role than he is playing now.

Move on everyone. What's done is done. You have no proof that going any other direction would benefit us better than where we're at now, so don't try.

I find it comical that the talking heads are convinced that trading CoHo was inevitable simply because Sedin and Kesler were anchored at 1C and 2C. This as we watch Santorelli play every position except goalie. Talented teams adjust their lineups to create the best option for winning.

I find it comical that the talking heads are convinced that trading CoHo was inevitable simply because Sedin and Kesler were anchored at 1C and 2C. This as we watch Santorelli play every position except goalie. Talented teams adjust their lineups to create the best option for winning.

I was under the impression that his dad was involved with his agent, not the team. I mean, how would he get in contact with the Canucks staff anyways? Getting in contact with his agent and making a fuss through him is far more believable. That being said, I have a hard time siding against Cody. He always seemed like a good kid. Will be interesting to hear the whole story.

Like many others, I always wanted to see him with Kesler.

And this is where you lose me - just where do you get this stuff? What teammate knew of the trade before Hodgson, and apparently according to you, knew long enough ahead of the trade to be teasing the guy during practice? Where do you come up with the notion that Hodgson showed up for practice after having been traded?

I mean, it sounds good for historical re-creation purposes (pretending it was Hodgson with an expressed desire to be the team's captain rather than Gillis who had billed him as such one day), then twist up the fun teasing of the "C" and insert it for flare, but all you've done is leave common sense and facts at the door in favour of pushing an entirely unsubstantiated theory that the kid had some sort of problems with his teammates.

http://www2.canada.c...19-2f696462b09d

"During a fun-filled practice in which drills were shelved for a four-on-four shinny game Monday, Cody Hodgson had a 'C' playfully placed on his jersey with masking tape. It was funny at the time but not so much a few hours later because the symbolism of easily removing that letter was not lost on the centre. Hodgson was also removed from the Vancouver Canucks."

http://sports.nation...-for-more-grit/

"Hodgson also expressed surprise at the trade and found out about it when was out for a walk early Monday afternoon with Canucks defenceman Chris Tanev."

Whether or not Hodgson was a "good fit" on the Canucks, it's pretty clear he's found a good home in Buffalo, Sabres are pleased with what they got in his character and skills, and Canucks/Kassian appear to be equally pleased with their part of the exchange. So, if you truly wanna move it along, don't try so hard to manufacture a drama out of nuttin'.

Archived