The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canes sign Malhotra 1year 2way deal

mbal23

AV has no tie to the Canucks now and is confirming the medical concerns they had over the time since the injury. Clearly the more they saw, the more they grew concerned until they couldn't allow him to continue. Hopefully that's changed for Manny and he will be safe on the ice, regardless of what percentage his is now of the player he once was.

Odds are he'll be able to play out the rest of his career and be fine. However he's putting himself at risk.

If he has no peripheral vision in one eye, he's opening himself up to either getting blindsided with a hit or a bad collision.

But if he wants to accept that risk and the NHL is okay with him playing, then he'll play.

Why people keep saying that I don't know. Manny himself said Gillis had his best interests and future health in mind when making the decision, so why would he lie?

It's not a lie if he believes Gillis was looking out for him, honestly i really hope Gillis didn't do it to save some money. Manny is a classy player and is hard not to root for.

Here's a follow up question then: if he believes Gillis really does have his best interests, then why isn't that enough to convince people that's at least more likely to be true than their cap/roster scenario? It's either that or they have to also believe Manny doesn't know best when trying to assess his own safety on the ice.

Here's a follow up question then: if he believes Gillis really does have his best interests, then why isn't that enough to convince people that's at least more likely to be true than their cap/roster scenario? It's either that or they have to also believe Manny doesn't know best when trying to assess his own safety on the ice.

I'm a Gillis supporter, but the guys extremely arrogant that doesn't admit when he's wrong. That's just the truth.

I think he was trying too hard to micro-manage the team, and it made him get involved in decisions he really had no place in making.

I'm a Gillis supporter, but the guys extremely arrogant that doesn't admit when he's wrong. That's just the truth.

I think he was trying too hard to micro-manage the team, and it made him get involved in decisions he really had no place in making.

1. Doctors inform coaching staff and Mike Gillis of the seriousness of Malhotra's eye injury.

2. Gillis, who runs the team, makes the decision to based on the advice from the team of doctors at his disposal that it is in Manny's and the teams best interest to put him on the shelf for the remainder of the year.

3. So that he does't lie to fans, the media, and the league, Gillis (again the decision maker of the franchise) informs the public as to why the decision to shelve Manny was made.

No micro-managing done. Plus, it's his job to make the final decision in the end, because he's the boss.

1. Doctors inform coaching staff and Mike Gillis of the seriousness of Malhotra's eye injury.

2. Gillis, who runs the team, makes the decision to based on the advice from the team of doctors at his disposal that it is in Manny's and the teams best interest to put him on the shelf for the remainder of the year.

3. So that he does't lie to fans, the media, and the league, Gillis (again the decision maker of the franchise) informs the public as to why the decision to shelve Manny was made.

Manny was cleared by Canucks doctors. That's why he played the first 10 games or whatever it was.

Gillis made the decision to put him on IR.

Now another team of doctors have cleared him to play for the Canes.

I'm sure the NHL has it's set of protocols when it comes to player vision. If NHL doctors said he could play, and he was willing to accept the risk, it's not up to Gillis. He should have just put him on waivers.

I'm a Gillis supporter, but the guys extremely arrogant that doesn't admit when he's wrong. That's just the truth. I think he was trying too hard to micro-manage the team, and it made him get involved in decisions he really had no place in making.

I'm not exactly sure what that had to do with my question.

Manny was cleared by Canucks doctors. That's why he played the first 10 games or whatever it was. Gillis made the decision to put him on IR. Now another team of doctors have cleared him to play for the Canes. I'm sure the NHL has it's set of protocols when it comes to player vision. If NHL doctors said he could play, and he was willing to accept the risk, it's not up to Gillis. He should have just put him on waivers.

It sure is as his employer if Gillis feels he's not safe despite the medical clearance.

Archived