The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Borowiecki hit on Boll

Caboose

That was a good hit that caught Boll low is all.

North South. Player making impact tucks arms in.

Boll is leaning forward at time of impact.

Just a big ol hit.

If this hit ends up with a suspension or fine than the Mitchell hit on Toews a few years back would have been a suspendable hit.

If Boll is not leaning forward reaching for the puck and looking at the puck he takes that square in the chest.

My opinion

I agree.

• Was it late? No, Boll had just reached out to play the puck, changing the position of his head just prior to the hit.
  • Was it an elbow? No, his arm was tucked into his body and doesn't extend out until after contact.
  • Was it squarely though the body? Yes, and it would have likely been a full body check if Boll hadn't leaned forward just prior.

The only question I have would be around charging. I don't know that he comes from a distance in any way, but his back skate does leave the ice coming into the hit, and his front comes off what appears to be after contact. Perhaps the league sees issue with it that way, otherwise I don't think they would.

That was a good hit that caught Boll low is all.

North South. Player making impact tucks arms in.

Boll is leaning forward at time of impact.

Just a big ol hit.

If this hit ends up with a suspension or fine than the Mitchell hit on Toews a few years back would have been a suspendable hit.

If Boll is not leaning forward reaching for the puck and looking at the puck he takes that square in the chest.

My opinion

The definition of suspendable has refined since big Willie played here. Nowadays your responsible to avoid making the head the principal or first point of contact. 1 minute 1 seconds in, that angle clearly shows the head snapping just before the shoulder crunch.

IMHO Boll had his head down and its much, or more, his fault. But he did not make any sudden move where when the hit was coming in. Head contact was avoidable.

Not offering an opinion as to whether its right or not, but they have been suspending these hits. I estimate 2 games, as I would also believe a clean hit, not a malicious one, was the goal. The incoming hitter has to hold up if he's going to come in on the head.

So Boll leaning in to poke at the puck and then trying to quickly pull back didn't change the level of his head at all? And the hits they've been suspending have been for hits not squarely through the body and this one is straight through the body where the head is also contacted.

Archived