The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks Lose 2-1

Brad Bellick^

what people don't seem to realize is that this is the NHL-- 82 games and all you want is the 2 points as often as possible, not going all out every night. A BIG part of Luongo's low GAA is that the Canucks do not score. How is that? Well if the Canucks score 1 goal then 2 is enough to win and that is most good teams go for: just enough to get the 2 points and move on to the next game. After the Blackhawks got their second goal last night, they didn't try to score anymore, they just killed the rest of the game. If the Canucks had a 2 goal lead, then Chicago would have gone for 3. But there was no need for that. So let's not go crazy with how good Luongo is, he is just bad enough for the team to have 13 losses in 25 games. If the canucks scored more, his GAA would be higher, no doubt about that. The Canucks have 65 goals for and 65 against. If they had scored 75, they would have given up 75.

Dont ever be critical of Luongo. If you do then your'e a teenager and not a fan of the Canucks...

i'm tired of this self righteous mindset:

- i don't like certain players

- go cheer for another team

- our gm sucks

- you're not a real fan

- Luongo choked in the playoffs

- no he was brilliant, you're pathetic

so everyone has to be on the same page with everything? if not then we don't deserve to canuck fans? what a load of crp

i hate these jerseys with all my heart, it makes me sick to see them wearing these pukes. i hate bieksa, luongo, i think kesler is overrated, i hate gillis, never liked AV, but guess what, that doesn't mean i wanna root for another team, i'm proud to be a canuck fan and always will be. enough with this childish reactions

I think they have been playing pretty well lately despite all the losses. An honest effort is all I can ask of them, and I think they're delivering that.

So you believe in participation awards? This isn't grade 8 field day. It's pro hockey played by guys making millions of dollars. Yes the guys are trying and making an effort so that's not the issue. Still the organization is failing. AQ should have allowed for a Lu buy-out last year but got cheap and that will haunt this team for years to come. MG hasn't brought in any impact players to address the lack of top 6 caliber forwards. etc.

i'm tired of this self righteous mindset:

- i don't like certain players

- go cheer for another team

- our gm sucks

- you're not a real fan

- Luongo choked in the playoffs

- no he was brilliant, you're pathetic

so everyone has to be on the same page with everything? if not then we don't deserve to canuck fans? what a load of crp

i hate these jerseys with all my heart, it makes me sick to see them wearing these pukes. i hate bieksa, luongo, i think kesler is overrated, i hate gillis, never liked AV, but guess what, that doesn't mean i wanna root for another team, i'm proud to be a canuck fan and always will be. enough with this childish reactions

Pretty sure Riviera was being sarcastic here.

Lu has been playing well, but he needs to play better when we have been losing by one goal in the past few games.

As for the offense...well I don't even know what to say.

The offense needs to be better if we are losing by one goal because we can only score one. It's not like this has only happened the last couple games. This has happened for multiple games. It's becoming a trend, not some one-off thing.

Honestly I was expecting us to get blown out playing the Hawks in a back to back but the Canucks went stride for stride with them. Unlucky not to get a better result

good point on the back to back.. almost forgot we played the night before! it was a good game given away by a bad pinch made by our standout rookie Stanton. mistakes happen and at least it was during the regular season so he won't make that mistake if/when we are in the playoffs

Kassian's been playing so good and did not see what he did wrong vs. Chi. Do not agree with limited minutes for Kass, heck I'd put him with the Sedins, and put Kes and Bur back together. Put Booth on the third or fourth because he's still better than Sestito or Weise. Torts is trying to do bold things, and he's hurting the team because of it. I liked his ability to adapt to change unlike AV, but some of decisions are getting really questionable.

Are you really that clueless or do you just eat up all the drivel you are being spoon fed by the media? You would take on Ehrhoff and his albatross of a contract? Yes he has a very attractive cap hit of only 4 mill per.....until 2021. 1g 5s through 23 games...Ehrhoff was offered the same amount as our highest paid dman and turned it down to find pay dirt on the open market. That will be turn out to be one of the worst contracts ever given. Good riddance.

The core may have been here but before Gills and his influence on the make up of the team, they had done absolutely nothing. Having a sold core is the easy part of the equation, its surrounding that core with the right players that makes it into a contender. Samulesson, Ehrhoff, Lapierre, Hamhuis, Torres, Higgins, Malhotra...these were all players he brought in and all were integral to the Cup run year, and surprisingly not one of them came from Florida. The whole argument that players signed here because of the hometown geography is ridiculous. How many players had previously signed with Vancouver to be 'close to home'? They came because the team had created a winning atmosphere and the organization has a reputation for treating its players well (outside of popular belief).

Sure there was the Ballard trade (which at the time looked just like the right move) we needed defencemen and he was the best available. How do you blame a GM for a player under achieving. I never liked the Booth pick up. But it shed not 1, but 2 contracts of aging under achieving players.

You think Santorelli signed here because of location. The guy was a castoff and was expected to spend most of the season in Utica. He would have signed with anyone who would have given him an opportunity.

People seem to think that a trade is just out there waiting to happen whenever a team has a necessity that needs to be filled. Clueless.

I wouldn't take that contract for the term but the cap sure. I was talking about the fact Ehrhoff would have signed if he got the same deal as Edler. But he wasn't offered despite proving he is a top offensive d-man.

I'm sure he would have taken the 5 mil if it were offered to him to play on a contender over the long term vs stuck on a terrible team in Buffalo.

Garrison and Hamhuis especially turned down more money from Pittsburgh to sign with the Canucks a big reason was because it was close to home.

Hamhuis even said that along with the organization treating it's players well. For Garrison it was because it was close to home and his good buddy Raymond was on the team.

Yeah Santorelli I will give you that but I'm sure a team like a Nashville or Carolina could have signed him but he went with the Canucks offer because it was close to home too.

That winning culture crap is b.s. Name me one free agent the Canucks have got that wanted to specifically come here because of the culture?

Other teams seem to do fine making trades. Why do you think Burke pulls of great deals the majority of times in trades?

It is because of the old boy's club mentality that exists within the GM club. Gills has pissed off a couple of really good trade partners especially being an ex agent and coming in and offer sheeting guys.

There have been many guy's that the Canucks have been in Gillis said they were trying to land that they didn't. Clowe comes to mind just last year.

They settled with Roy just to show that they were trying to the fans.

Also about Malhotra, Torres, etc and all the guys you talked about being key parts of the cup run are gone with the exception of Higgins who was from Florida.

So how smart is Gillis really for letting Torres walk because he didn't want to give him a 2 year deal as well as losign all those other "key" guys?

The only thing Gillis has is gigantic crush on the Red Wings and he said he would copy the Detroit model. Now he is copying L.A. to try to get bigger and tougher.. who is next?

The Canucks don't seem to know what their identity is thanks to Gillis. Maybe you can elighten us all because you seem to have all the clues right genius?

^might seem to be flaming Torts, but I'm not. I think he's a great coach but the whole game I was screaming where's Kass? and he's a player whose shot could have made a difference in a 1 goal game. If he was in Weise's spot on his chance, you never know...

Kass committed an absolutely brutal turnover in his own end. He looked like he was impersonating Edler out there. I'm a fan of Kass but he earned the demotion there. Sounds like he took it like a pro and should bounce back.

even if he is, there are still lots of fans who actually think like that

Yeah, it's pretty sad. I'm pretty much in agreement with most of what you wrote (although I like Kesler and Bieksa). The problem is most people here can't handle their favourite players being criticized and it gets personal quickly.

to the whole Luongo's fault argument i will say this

he let in 2 soft goals not saying he lost the game but he let in 2 soft goals he played great but he let in 2 soft goals

sorry for the repetition but honestly if he can't be faulted for those goals without someone getting their panties in a bunch thinking were blaming him for the entire game then something is wrong

bottom line he didn't lost us the game he gave us a chance to win but he let in 2 soft goals

I agree.

Its sad how many fans go over the top and turn into crybabies when the obvious gets pointed out that players like Luongo aren't doing enough during losing streaks even when its mentioned there are other reasons for the losses as well.

Watching Luongo closely theres no doubt a lot of Luongos game is off right now and he could be doing more to help the team and too bad for any fans that can't handle the criticism its true.

Fact of the matter is players were making mistakes everywhere. One too many odd man rushes that Lu saved over and over again. So Lu makes one mistake. 100% of the time he would and should have had that. Mistakes happen. He's human, not a machine. Players make mistakes all the time, goalies included. As they say, I'm sure he would have liked to have taken that one back. The saying applies to him as with any other goalie. He's not perfect. No one is. But just as he covers the players butts/mistakes on numerous occasions...as a team they need to cover his. It's a two way streak. It's called teamwork.

Fact of the matter is players were making mistakes everywhere. One too many odd man rushes that Lu saved over and over again. So Lu makes one mistake. 100% of the time he would and should have had that. Mistakes happen. He's human, not a machine. Players make mistakes all the time, goalies included. As they say, I'm sure he would have liked to have taken that one back. The saying applies to him as with any other goalie. He's not perfect. No one is. But just as he covers the players butts/mistakes on numerous occasions...as a team they need to cover his. It's a two way streak. It's called teamwork.

Its funny how whenever Luongo lets in goals the Luongo lovers always say it was somebodys elses mistake.

I got a newsflash for you and others every team no matter how good they are allows shots and makes mistakes every game and i watch a lot of other games besides the Canucks as well.

As a matter of fact seems like most teams i watch allow more shots and make more mistakes then the Canucks and their goalies are making more saves and looking more solid all around.

I don't know wth some people think that all these teams we play with all these skilled players are supposed to be shutdown most of the time because we shouldn't be making Luongo make saves like he's getting paid a tonne of money to do??

I've pretty much watched every game and the Canucks team as a whole does a great job defending and not allowing too many shots or scoring chances and its Luongo who on most nights is not getting the job done not the team defence.

Overall Luongo has been pretty weak most of this season yet again and for the last several years and continues to be a huge worry for me.

Archived