The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

I honestly really want him to succeed, I really do. I cheer every time he gets a point, and hold my hopes high when I see him get more ice time or play well...but in the back of my mind I really don't see him succeeding. His work habits are something to be questioned. It seems like he has a Grabner esq. attitude towards the game; gifted and has the tools, but is lazy and just doesn't execute.

And regarding the arguments, a player only develops when they play a lot and learn... not when they're scratched or warming up the benches. Kassian doesn't seem to have that motivation or drive to get better and develop, so he leaves a lot to be questioned.

I know there is still plenty of time to develop (look at Mikhail Grigorenko; he's basically mirroring Kassian), but given the circumstances, its hard to be positive. Maybe he'll earn some ice-time and develop one of these days, but it doesn't look bright.

I'm convinced now that Kass needs to be sent down to Utica to play 25 minutes per game and get help honing his game.

Cap Geek shows that basically this is Kass's final year of being exempt from recall waivers.

Why don't the Canucks take advantage of this to send him down for an intensive playing stint for the rest of the AHL season, then recall him if we make the playoffs? This has to be a better option than him barely playing or sitting in the press box.

I mean, we'll just be back here next year same time same place hoping beyond hope that over the summer he magically transitioned into Milan Lucic lite, but without the option to send him down exempt from waivers. I just hope Gillis isn't keeping him around and sacrificing valuable development time simply to not make himself look worse for the trade.

I'm convinced now that Kass needs to be sent down to Utica to play 25 minutes per game and get help honing his game.

Cap Geek shows that basically this is Kass's final year of being exempt from recall waivers.

Why don't the Canucks take advantage of this to send him down for an intensive playing stint for the rest of the AHL season, then recall him if we make the playoffs? This has to be a better option than him barely playing or sitting in the press box.

I mean, we'll just be back here next year same time same place hoping beyond hope that over the summer he magically transitioned into Milan Lucic lite, but without the option to send him down exempt from waivers. I just hope Gillis isn't keeping him around and sacrificing valuable development time simply to not make himself look worse for the trade.

100% agree it's the best for his development he's clearly not ready for the NHL try him next year after another year in the AHL.

Yeah I know it will go down as one of the worst trades in franchise history if Kassian doesn't pan out to at least a 2nd line winger.

Worst trade in franchise history??? If Kassian is a gigantic bust that never pans out it's still not the worst trade in franchise history. I am not satisfied with Kassian, I believe he should be in Utica, but Hodgson is no Joe Sakic. You are being dramatic. Have you been following Hodgson? He is a mediocre skater with a decent shot and good vision, I would agree he is ahead of Kassian in development but I would not compare the two past that. Totally different players with totally different skill sets.

Send him down to Utica. It's clear he's not ready and his head is not in the game to be in the NHL right now. Bring up a guy like Archibald or Grenier who deserve it.

I agree that a season or two in Utica would help him develop but there is no way that he would clear waivers. If his game hasn't improved by seasons end then he should be in the AHL next year.

It's interesting that we call him a disappointment and question Kassian's value, but fear he would never clear waivers.

only because he doesnt make much money so any basement team would easily give him a shot... adn those teams would have little to no expectations of a waiver pickup who doesnt make much money... and wouldnt care if he put in 5 minutes a night on the 4th .... they didnt trade a good player for him in expectations he would be a top 6 guy. id grab him off waivers in a heart beat too to be on my 4th line.

There's no way he'd clear waivers.

I'm still a supporter but based on what I saw coming out of junior and even before I thought he'd be alot grittier.

5 game susp. At beginning of year..kids confused as to what he is allowed to do in the big leagues..still gritty! He's -4 on the 4th line playig 5 minutes a night. Last night with 3 uncredited hits on one shift..

Worst trade in franchise history??? If Kassian is a gigantic bust that never pans out it's still not the worst trade in franchise history. I am not satisfied with Kassian, I believe he should be in Utica, but Hodgson is no Joe Sakic. You are being dramatic. Have you been following Hodgson? He is a mediocre skater with a decent shot and good vision, I would agree he is ahead of Kassian in development but I would not compare the two past that. Totally different players with totally different skill sets.

Hodgson will be a 2nd line center at the very least.... The kid is really really good. Neely was the worst trade in franchise history and probably will be forever. But will the Kassian-Hodgson trade be one of the worst if Kassian busts? Yes it will because Hodgson is already a 1st/2nd liner right now and will only get better. You never know though. Kassian could be a late bloomer like Bertuzzi and turn into a beast but I doubt it.

Archived