The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

Kassian is what he is: a work in progress that could go either way. Yes, maybe we could have got more for Coho at the time, so I tend to agree with those who are critical of the trade for that reason. But right now, Hodgson is 8 goals, 9 assists 17 points and minus 8 at a $4,25 million cap hit. To put that in perspective, Santorelli is 6 goals 11 assists 17 points and plus 7 at a $.55 million cap hit. Turns out that Hodgson was replaceable at a bargain rate. I think we can afford to be patient with Kassian even if he does turn out to be the next Bernier or Pyatt because Hodgson isn't such a big deal at this point. I think we all remember Hodgson's January 2012 goal against Boston as if that was the whole story about him. It's not.

Kassian is what he is: a work in progress that could go either way. Yes, maybe we could have got more for Coho at the time, so I tend to agree with those who are critical of the trade for that reason. But right now, Hodgson is 8 goals, 9 assists 17 points and minus 8 at a $4,25 million cap hit. To put that in perspective, Santorelli is 6 goals 11 assists 17 points and plus 7 at a $.55 million cap hit. Turns out that Hodgson was replaceable at a bargain rate. I think we can afford to be patient with Kassian even if he does turn out to be the next Bernier or Pyatt because Hodgson isn't such a big deal at this point. I think we all remember Hodgson's January 2012 goal against Boston as if that was the whole story about him. It's not.

I kind of agree with you. Hodgson is the poor version of Kessel, 1/2 the offence at 1/2 the cost. Not sure why so many here act like he is the next Yzerman. Boho>Coho

Kassian reminds me of Dustin Penner...man mountain more suited to the playoffs that the regular season.

Didn't really mention anything about his goals, but no way he scores in the low 20's, it took him playing through some serious injuries to drop to that level. I bet he cracks 30 this year, and everyone mutually benefits from the PP, he makes it better and the goals all count the same. Point is his output is a high projection among any of our prospects and management should focus on helping him rather than letting him and the rest of the core slowly decline.

I am talking about him getting goals 5 on 5 without the sedins. If that were the case he would have goals in the mid to low 20s.

Have some ???? patience with Kassian imo. We have no choice, but we continue to put pressure on him by calling him the next bertuzzi, saying he's got first line potential, and the media always scrutinizing the Hodgson trade... and not to mention the fans always going on about Hodgson. You guys really don't think he hears/sees all this?

I really do think a stint in Utica is needed, or just scratch him another few/making him sit in the video room etc. He really does need to revisit the basics. He has the size, the skating, the feistyness, the offensive potential. Last year Kreider looked like he'd max out as a 3rd/4th liner. Now look at him.

patience is key. This fanbase CDC has the highest amount of impatient crybabies. I always read the smaller market team boards on HF and you see some realistic understanding/expectations of the team and its players.

Two totally different things. :bigblush:

Hodgson= Santorelli? :lol:

Hodgson scored at key moments in games and scored many game tying goals on the third line imagine him right now at second line centre. Thats why everyone liked him; cause Vancouver hasn't had a player like that in a long time. Santo is a great feel good story for this year but in terms of replacing point totals he is replacing burrows not hodgson. Santo is fourth in points a spot usually held by burrows.

I think were way beyond the 'trade' talk from Feb 2012, Kass is into his 3rd pro season with 2 full off seasons to develop his game plan and role and he still looks lost out there, This year is all on him and Gillis, and Torts has to sort this mess out.

Most players put on the Sedin line over the years didn;t earn it. It was a coach chucking someone on the line and hoping chemestry would happen. Those that stuck (earned it) by playing well on the line. Kinda like Carter.

This is a sports team, not the post office. Glass ceilings kill teams far more then keeping a player down because it might make a vet cry.

Carter = earned it. Played hard in preseason and earned his spot on top line.

Klatt = earned it. Worked hard from fourth line to first, every shift, every game, never took a night off.

Burrows = earned it. No explanation needed.

Pyatt, Bernier & Kassian earned demotions. That's what is given to lazy half assed players who work once every five games.

Really starting to hate this group of Kassian bunnies who think that he should be thrown on this first line because he scored some goals once. Guess what bunnies, so did the Brabarian, that doesn't make him a first liner.

Klatt = earned it. Worked hard from fourth line to first, every shift, every game, never took a night off.

Pyatt, Bernier & Kassian earned demotions. That's what is given to lazy half assed players who work once every five games.

Really starting to hate this group of Kassian bunnies who think that he should be thrown on this first line because he scored some goals once. Guess what bunnies, so did the Brabarian, that doesn't make him a first liner.

???

Kes is not a 40 goal scorer he is 20 goal scorer at max without the sedins on the power play. November proved that.

Hodgson scored at key moments in games and scored many game tying goals on the third line imagine him right now at second line centre. Thats why everyone liked him; cause Vancouver hasn't had a player like that in a long time. Santo is a great feel good story for this year but in terms of replacing point totals he is replacing burrows not hodgson. Santo is fourth in points a spot usually held by burrows.

Just stop.

Kes is on pace for 33 while the team has been slumping.

Hodgson had 2 GWG with the Canucks and was useless in the playoffs.

People are going to criticize players no matter how many games they've played. I remember when Kesler was criticized as a mediocre 3rd liner, so whether the criticism Kassian gets is just or not..... that's another question.

Criticize all you want. Kassian's not going to listen to you. He'll work on getting better like every other player and we'll get to see if he improves or not. ;)

I am not claiming that Kassian should be on line 1. I am saying that if he works out there and we win then that is reason enough to do it. If he doesn't do well than then you do something else. This bs about earning is just that. It's a reason to slam him and not much else.

Love how you call people bunnies since that is a double edged crappy argument. If people that support Kassian are bunnies then you are a flat out hater

I'm disappointed by the spelling in the thread title, but not Kassian.

CDC, you wanted youth, here it is. Flashes of what's to come interspersed with boneheaded defense, out of position antics, and Inconsistency with a capital I.

Everyone sees things differently but what I see is a guaranteed NHL regular, it's just the question of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd liner calibre. In the meantime, a bit of a disappointment can be a good thing when it comes time to negotiate a new contract this summer. Let's see how the rest of the season goes.

Hodgson= Santorelli? :lol:

Let's just say that Hodgson who is getting first line minutes in Buffalo has the same number of points as Santorelli who is getting second and third line minutes in Vancouver. Santorelli is playing in the position Hodgson would be occupying in some people's minds if he hadn't been traded, so that's why I make the comparison. He also wins draws and plays defense, unlike Coho. Don't get me wrong, I liked Hodgson and was upset about the trade for some time, but as of now, he hasn't become a difference-making player. Neither, of course, has Kassian.

I'm disappointed by the spelling in the thread title, but not Kassian.

CDC, you wanted youth, here it is. Flashes of what's to come interspersed with boneheaded defense, out of position antics, and Inconsistency with a capital I.

Everyone sees things differently but what I see is a guaranteed NHL regular, it's just the question of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd liner calibre. In the meantime, a bit of a disappointment can be a good thing when it comes time to negotiate a new contract this summer. Let's see how the rest of the season goes.

Exactly right.

Archived