The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

lol. 5:05 tonight against the Preds..

Even when he's had the time he hasn't done a whole lot with it but Kassian WILL definitely be a bust getting 5 minutes a night. Loving how we gave a first line center away for..

Yeah I know it will go down as one of the worst trades in franchise history if Kassian doesn't pan out to at least a 2nd line winger.

I felt he has played enough games with us that we can finally start to criticize him and his development since joining this team.

I think there is something really off about his hockey sense. When he plays he just doesn't seem to "get it" when it comes to reading or making the right plays. He just extremely inconsistent too in both his effort and ability.

For someone that is suppose to be a good power foward he seems to have lost an edge in terms of his puck protection and board battles. I don't know if it's a result of him getting really lean but the same thing happened to Bernier. I don't understand the Canucks trainers wanting him to lose his weight because he's obviously not as strong on the puck as when he was first traded here.

Did the Canucks make the mistake in trading for Kassian? i understand that Hodgson didn't want to play here but maybe we could have targetted someone else. Ive just been extremely unimpressed by his play as a Canuck. Seems like AV wasn't really the problem either because the new coaching staff are basically treating him the same way. He just hasnt earned an opportunity and its disapointing. It has nothing to do with his character either, hes a good person.

Thoughts?

Hodgson has 2 points in his last 8 games. For a 1st line center that's a bit concerning. Our 2nd line center got 2 points tonight.

I know Kassian only played 5 min. but he did everything pretty well in those 5 min. meaning no mistakes & in proper position. I think as the season goes on & come playoff time Kassian will be a big factor for us.

Pretty much what I saw too. He was solid tonight in all 3 zones. He definitely should have gotten more than 5 minutes of ice.

Pretty much what I saw too. He was solid tonight in all 3 zones. He definitely should have gotten more than 5 minutes of ice.

I thought Zack played his best game since he scored against the Capitals . Its been a while. I guarantee that after they look at the tape he will bump him up to a few third line shifts next game.

Its what it always is about for Zack. Keeping his nose in the game and staying focused. :)

Ahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Since when can you tell from a guy his age? Oh wait, fire everyone in management and hire you! our problems are all solved!

How can I tell Kassian will never score 30 goals? Easy. I watch him play. He's brutal.

No speed, no shot, no offensive creativity. This is not the recipe for a 30 goal scorer. You think he'll ever hit 30? I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you.

Kassian has had a huge opportunity in Vancouver. He was the golden boy, with Gillis invested in seeing him succeed. This gave him far more time and patience from the coaches than any ordinary rookie.

If he really had the smarts he would have been working his tail off to improve the skills he has... first one to the rink in the morning, last one to leave. Practising his shot, practising his skating, working, working, working.

But that wasn't the case. 1st full year he plays he comes to camp overweight. 2nd year he does work a little harder in the summer to lose weight, but no significant improvement in his skills. No difference in his shot, no difference in his skating.

His game understanding has improved, his overall ability to position himself offensively has improved, and he does take the puck to the net a little better. But offensive is his only improvement, his defensive skills are still rock bottom, he is continually giving the puck away or passing to a team mate and putting them in a worse position than himself, thus guaranteeing a turnover.

This kid really needs to understand that his future as a big time NHL player is now on the line. If he wants to spend the rest of his 3-4 year career on the 4th line, then keep up what he's doing. If he wants to score 25 goals a year and be physical presence, (that's the most we can hope for) then he needs to buckle down.

Kassian has had a huge opportunity in Vancouver. He was the golden boy, with Gillis invested in seeing him succeed. This gave him far more time and patience from the coaches than any ordinary rookie.

If he really had the smarts he would have been working his tail off to improve the skills he has... first one to the rink in the morning, last one to leave. Practising his shot, practising his skating, working, working, working.

But that wasn't the case. 1st full year he plays he comes to camp overweight. 2nd year he does work a little harder in the summer to lose weight, but no significant improvement in his skills. No difference in his shot, no difference in his skating.

His game understanding has improved, his overall ability to position himself offensively has improved, and he does take the puck to the net a little better. But offensive is his only improvement, his defensive skills are still rock bottom, he is continually giving the puck away or passing to a team mate and putting them in a worse position than himself, thus guaranteeing a turnover.

This kid really needs to understand that his future as a big time NHL player is now on the line. If he wants to spend the rest of his 3-4 year career on the 4th line, then keep up what he's doing. If he wants to score 25 goals a year and be physical presence, (that's the most we can hope for) then he needs to buckle down.

Good post.

The 25 goals is only realistic if he works his ass off and hits his max potential.

The, Kassian can be a 1st line, power-forward, power play, 'Bertuzzi like' player believers are fooling themselves.

No wonder your always picking fights with everyone you ignore what people are saying and make your own meaning out of everything. Once again these are uncalled for...

I have seen you fighting with other users today as well so not surprising your doing this to me.

Then please outline the meaning you were intending. I'm sure I'm not the only one it's lost on.

The ice time arguments are crap, even Welsh managed to turn some heads getting 2 shifts a game. Weise, Tostitos, Richardson ect, have all exceeded expectation thus far while starting with bottom line duties and linemates. Kass is supposed to be noticeably better than all of them.

Not scoring is one thing, but fortheluvafgawd hit someone, create a chance, force a turnover, a shot, something plz.

Really? In what league?

Remember what Sgt O'neill said about opinions.

We get it, you don't like him and hope he fails. I'll judge the finished product. I won't say he's awesome yet, but I can see what he can become. He's cheep right now too, so there is little to complain about.

Remember what Sgt O'neill said about opinions.

We get it, you don't like him and hope he fails. I'll judge the finished product. I won't say he's awesome yet, but I can see what he can become. He's cheep right now too, so there is little to complain about.

I put guys like that on ignore. They dont add anything productive.

Could someone explain to me the PWF argument?

I get that they take a long time to develop offensively but it really looks like he isn't keen on improving his game. You can tell that guys like Santorelli and Higgins are WORKING THEIR BUTTS off to prove something because they have reputations as snake-bitten players. Why is the same expectation not placed on Zack? At first I called him a floater because he only tried when he had the puck, but now he's even getting knocked off the puck when he actually has control. I don't know what to think anymore. Does he have no drive, no goal to become better?

Archived