The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

Here's an OHL scouting report from the '09 draft that forsees the troubles Kassian is having.

There is no doubt that Kassian has NHL size and strength, and that he has the potential to play a power game on more than a fourth line. He goes to the net, cycles the puck well and has some finish. However, I have serious concerns with not only his skating but his ability to create offence with the puck and on the fly. At the U18s, when the pace was quicker, the opponent more talented than the OHL, he seemed to have very little utility offensively other than as a big body down low. In the NHL, this would limit the number of systems where he could really have an impact.

http://www.matchstic...ft-zack-kassian

People should stop expecting a top power forward who can play top minutes and get 30 goals. It will never happen.

From what I see is a guy caving under pressure, does not want to make a mistake, and lacks the confidence to make judgment calls on the defensive side of the puck. Time and again you can see Kassian trying to stay in good positioning and cover passing lanes, but lets an opponent attack the net unchecked 5 feet away. Hard to say if his defensive game is stalled or not.

In the offensive zone I see the upside, he has explosive speed and can retreive pucks, good vision and passing. Still learning to use his body against men over boys it seems alot of the time. And he has a decent shot that he gets on net when he gets a chance.

All in all he looks like he lacks confidence right now. If he can see the light and use that explosive speed to check and avoid checks I think he can be a dangerous player. Not saying he will develop or not, but he does have the tools.

Too soon to call Kas a disappointment ? In the NHL world, yes it is too soon..

In CDC fantasy land - nope, guys are a bust if they don't score 30 goals by the time they are 20

It's not the lack of points it's how he looks on the ice, if he was playing well defensively, laying big hits and creating chances that would be another thing but he's not. He looks like a player that shouldn't be in the nhl and players that look that way don't get 10 years to prove they can make it, they don't even get 2 or three years... How many years has zack had?

From what I see is a guy caving under pressure, does not want to make a mistake, and lacks the confidence to make judgment calls on the defensive side of the puck. Time and again you can see Kassian trying to stay in good positioning and cover passing lanes, but lets an opponent attack the net unchecked 5 feet away. Hard to say if his defensive game is stalled or not.

In the offensive zone I see the upside, he has explosive speed and can retreive pucks, good vision and passing. Still learning to use his body against men over boys it seems alot of the time. And he has a decent shot that he gets on net when he gets a chance.

All in all he looks like he lacks confidence right now. If he can see the light and use that explosive speed to check and avoid checks I think he can be a dangerous player. Not saying he will develop or not, but he does have the tools.

All the tools other then the most important one, the one between his ears.

Edit: Could Dorothy find it for him?

You cannot even begin to start a thread like this without realizing that much like the first poster said, a power forward takes longer to develop than that of other positions and Zack is really young yet so there is no point to this at all. Come back in a few years and ask the same question and then it would be worthwhile to disuss.

Kassian will never score 30, no matter what age.

Kassian will never score 30, no matter what age.

Ahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Since when can you tell from a guy his age? Oh wait, fire everyone in management and hire you! our problems are all solved!

I like how you ignore the second half of my sentences. I said without the sedins and being on the powerplay kes would have totals in the mid to low 20s. I didn't talk about his current pace in which he has spent lots of time with the sedins on the top line and on the PP.

I also never said that Hodgson scored game winners and said that he scored many game tying goals.

Learn to read the full post and watch the games next time before just running off to stat sheets cause we all the know the stats.

Ever think that I ignored those points because they're both stupid and irrelevant?

Good players do better with other good players on their lines. Henrik Sedin's production might go down a bit if he plays with Sestito and Weise every night too. To imply that Kesler is somehow less of a player because he plays with other good players instead of crap ones is brainless.

As for Hodgson, GWG aren't clutch but GTG are? Backpedal more.

Ever think that I ignored those points because they're both stupid and irrelevant?

Good players do better with other good players on their lines. Henrik Sedin's production might go down a bit if he plays with Sestito and Weise every night too. To imply that Kesler is somehow less of a player because he plays with other good players instead of crap ones is brainless.

As for Hodgson, GWG aren't clutch but GTG are? Backpedal more.

No wonder your always picking fights with everyone you ignore what people are saying and make your own meaning out of everything. Once again these are uncalled for...

I have seen you fighting with other users today as well so not surprising your doing this to me.

Here's an OHL scouting report from the '09 draft that forsees the troubles Kassian is having.

http://www.matchstic...ft-zack-kassian

People should stop expecting a top power forward who can play top minutes and get 30 goals. It will never happen.

I don't understand why people want to say "never". I don't expect anything from Kassian, certainly not 30 goals, but I would stop well short of "never". What benefit does saying never have? Who is saying Kassian is the next coming of christ? I'm reading a lot more hate than love, and the one's defending Kassian are saying it's too early to tell if he is a bust....which it is. Sounds like you have a lot of misguided hate.

Bertuzzi had more points in his rookie year than Kassian has in 3 seasons.

Kassian- 27 pts in 105 games

Bert- 39 points in 76 games

1.5 years ago I said that Kassian would be a similar offensive talent as Steve Bernier, but just a bit more physical. It seems to ring true so far. He hasn't shown anything that makes him seem like a true offensive talent in this league. I understand the whole 25 years old thing, but even Bertuzzi had flashes of showing how good he could be before he broke out. Kassian hasn't shown anything.

then Bertuzzi disappeared for three years after his semi-impressive rookie season

Kassian has shown a NUMBER of times that he has some great moves and potential. No idea what you're talking about.

Bertuzzi, IN HIS PRIME, was one of the laziest Canucks on the team. Remember Naslund-Bert back check? dreadful 8 games out of 10.

Archived