The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A view from the other side: Perspective of Boston Bruins Fans on tonight's game

Johnny's Logic

Well, now that we all know who the arbiter of "mature" is, I suppose we can move back to the topic at hand.

@Guesswhere: Apologies. Upon re-reading your earlier post, I see that I did indeed misinterpret. My original take was that your opinion was that there are only two types of posters in the thread. Now I see that you were merely pointing out that those two types are present, but not the only ones.

Lol, yeah it can be hard to keep track around here sometimes.

As it happens, I don't even mind when someone expresses a viewpoint that may seem extreme to others, as long as I see a reasonable underlying rationale.

Cheers!

I didn't see many here complaining when Hordichuk hit Turco. In fact it was applauded. The NHL blew it by not suspending Lucic or Hordichuk, If there was no suspension on the first one it leads players to believe they can do it again. I lay the blame for the Miller incident on the NHL for blowing it the first time around with Hordichuk and again for doing nothing on the Lucic hit.

http://forum.canucks...co/page__st__30

Don't remember seeing that one at the time, but if the clip in the link above is the one you're referring to, it's pretty much apples and oranges. Or at least granny smith and mcintosh. Lucic had no chance, and in fact did not even touch the puck after Miller cleared it. He did have time to line him up and knock him half way to the next season.

From the comments I skimmed, it looks like Turco had a reputation for going waaaay out, and in this case, he was the one who had no chance. Not even sure how that was a penalty since it looks like Turco is the one that arrives late. Won't argue that point anyway, but the resulting hit bears little resemblance to the Lucic hit on Miller, beyond the obvious fact there is an impact outside the crease between a goalie and an opponent on a breakaway rush.

On the other hand, if you're simply saying goalies should be protected more in general, because of their vulnerability to injury, I would cut you a little more slack. I still think Turco looks more like the aggressor in the clip I saw, but you are entitled to your opinion. If there was no suspension, that would put the referees right in the middle between your call for more sanction and other viewpoints like mine, that he's kind of responsible for putting himself in that position.

Certainly not an equivalent, and if that is how you judge it, remind me never to need you as a witness to a traffic accident.

I witnessed Orr score in O/T and loved the Bruins-Cash,the Chief,Cheesy,Orr,Espo,the Turk...

Original 6 team and as iconic as the other five.Watching Park and Neely,Oates and Bourque play over the years has been a treat.

Boychuck,Marchand,Peverly,Thomas-not much love for these players or the way they won the cup by default by being thugs on ice.

The two-hander on Bieksa,Boychuck can-opener,Edler's fingers broken,Hank's back beaten from cross checks,Thomas bowling over forwards out of his crease and no interference calls.Just looking at Marchand makes me wonder how hockey evolved into this nonsense.

The Canucks lost through injuries,in large part dished out without reprisals by the NHL refs in the Finals.

The NHL is losing me.Fans threatening players,beating them up,threatening their families,trashing cities. Thugs,cash and trash.I'd rather watch European hockey and see some skill on display.

http://forum.canucks...co/page__st__30

Don't remember seeing that one at the time, but if the clip in the link above is the one you're referring to, it's pretty much apples and oranges. Or at least granny smith and mcintosh. Lucic had no chance, and in fact did not even touch the puck after Miller cleared it. He did have time to line him up and knock him half way to the next season.

From the comments I skimmed, it looks like Turco had a reputation for going waaaay out, and in this case, he was the one who had no chance. Not even sure how that was a penalty since it looks like Turco is the one that arrives late. Won't argue that point anyway, but the resulting hit bears little resemblance to the Lucic hit on Miller, beyond the obvious fact there is an impact outside the crease between a goalie and an opponent on a breakaway rush.

On the other hand, if you're simply saying goalies should be protected more in general, because of their vulnerability to injury, I would cut you a little more slack. I still think Turco looks more like the aggressor in the clip I saw, but you are entitled to your opinion. If there was no suspension, that would put the referees right in the middle between your call for more sanction and other viewpoints like mine, that he's kind of responsible for putting himself in that position.

Certainly not an equivalent, and if that is how you judge it, remind me never to need you as a witness to a traffic accident.

Both hits on goalies both should be either suspension worthy, or make goalies fair game out of the crease. Either make goalies fair game or deem unnecessary hits on them up for suspension review.What I'm saying is the NHL dropped the ball by not suspending Hordichuk and dropped it even further when they stated there was no precident to suspend a player for that. Then set one maybe? Suspend Hordichuk and maybe Lucic thinks twice about running Miller. As for being comparable they are hits on a goalie outside of the crease, Turco was lucky and didn't get hurt on the play.

I witnessed Orr score in O/T and loved the Bruins-Cash,the Chief,Cheesy,Orr,Espo,the Turk...

Original 6 team and as iconic as the other five.Watching Park and Neely,Oates and Bourque play over the years has been a treat.

Boychuck,Marchand,Peverly,Thomas-not much love for these players or the way they won the cup by default by being thugs on ice.

The two-hander on Bieksa,Boychuck can-opener,Edler's fingers broken,Hank's back beaten from cross checks,Thomas bowling over forwards out of his crease and no interference calls.Just looking at Marchand makes me wonder how hockey evolved into this nonsense.

The Canucks lost through injuries,in large part dished out without reprisals by the NHL refs in the Finals.

The NHL is losing me.Fans threatening players,beating them up,threatening their families,trashing cities. Thugs,cash and trash.I'd rather watch European hockey and see some skill on display.

Don't always agree with you, Nit, but I do here.

+1

Both hits on goalies both should be either suspension worthy, or make goalies fair game out of the crease. Either make goalies fair game or deem unnecessary hits on them up for suspension review.What I'm saying is the NHL dropped the ball by not suspending Hordichuk and dropped it even further when they stated there was no precident to suspend a player for that. Then set one maybe? Suspend Hordichuk and maybe Lucic thinks twice about running Miller. As for being comparable they are hits on a goalie outside of the crease, Turco was lucky and didn't get hurt on the play.

I hear you, and would agree to the point that it should not just be anything goes, just because it's outside the crease. If I understand correctly, the current stance could allow for a suspension in either of the two situations we were discussing if in their opinion the opposing player had reasonable opportunity to avoid or minimize the contact and deliberately chose to barrel through instead. This is, of course, where opinions can differ, even on the exact same hit.

I would say the Lucic hit was more egregious for obvious reasons, as I already mentioned, but I can see how you might feel such hits might not happen as often if they were more consistently met with suspension. I do think Turco bears some responsibility for playing the man and not the puck in the other case, but the play happened pretty quickly and I can understand if you see it from a slightly different perspective. Turco bears a little more responsibility and I suspect was more prepared for the contact than Miller, hence no injury.

To your point, though, I agree that both opponents might have done well to respect the goalie a little more, whether inside or outside the crease. Unfortunately, neither goalies nor the other skill players get enough protection in this league. Nice to finally see that hits targeting the head are receiving more attention these days, but that will obviously leave issues like consistency needing further attention.

Archived