The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Battle of the Swedish Centers

Both are very good, but Backstrom has had the benefit of playing with a top 5 PMD, and a top 3 goal scorer the majority of his career. Backstrom is good, but he also gets tons of help from having a supporting cast that can maximize his abilities.

On the other hand, Hank played 2 seasons with an elite PMD and put up 112 and 94 points in those two seasons. Every other season since the 04/05 lockout, Hank has been between 75 and 85 points playing without an elite puckmover and a PP that doesn't really scare the oppostion.

There are a couple of reasons why I will pick Henrik over Backstrom...

1) Henrik plays in the Western conference against much better teams every single year.

2) Henrik's leadership abilities.

3) Backstrom may get a couple of more points each year but there is no way I'd sacrifice the better player because of a couple of points.

4) Henrik doesn't play with a 60+ goal scorer.

5) Henrik makes players like Burrows and Hansen 30+ goal scorers (Hansen not yet, but he could get there if they played all season together, which they won't).

6) Home team bias (I admit it;)

7) Consistency

8) Iron man streak

and last but not least....

9) Henrik comes with a twin!!! :bigblush:

Safe to say Kunitz and Dupuis would be the top contenders for that title. Chris has played with the likes of Getzlaf and Perry (IIRC) in his Duck days, and now he's with Sid.

RE: OP, I'd go with #33. Hank's about as durable as they come, and while both have done well without their running mates, I'm not sure how well Backstrom would do out west. Especially in the most recent seasons, Hank's been willing to fight back, plus he takes quite a bit of crap from tight checking but still performs at a high level. Backstrom and Ovie have had years of being privileged in that they're able to thrive in a run-and-gun Southeast Division, but I just don't know how well Nick would adjust. I'd give it to him that Nick probably has a better shot, but it's probably because Hank doesn't (want to?) shoot the puck, not that he can't score.

(Here's something to consider though: which division would you guys say had the weaker defenses - the Northwest or the Southeast? I mean it's easy to say that the Caps would thrive in their run-and-gun system, but the D-men in the Northwest weren't exactly as tough to cut through as diamonds).

That's good point. As it stands today Henrik definitely has to play against the tougher competition, but it hasn't always been that way, The Northwest division was probably the weakest division for 5 consecutive seasons.

The more I think about these two players the more I think Sweden is going to be one tough team to beat this Olympics. Elite goaltending, Zetterberg, Backstrom, Sedin down the middle, and a strong core of D. That plus the fact that their all used to the big ice surface.

It's ironic how Backstroms stats dropped the last few years...... at the same time as Ovechkins.

Backstrom have been riding on the horse of Ovechkin his entire career. Luckiest hockey player ever.

I disagree. The luckiest player ever was Paul Coffey. He started with Gretzky and finished with Lemieux.......not bad!

Sedin because they are both the face of the franchise.

Who is better is still Sedin ?

Put backstrom with Brouwer and johansen and he is a .40point player tops

Sedins are doing bad yet somehow are on pace for 70ish points with their line mate out pretty much the whole year.

No way Bäckström is a 40 point player. No way.

Just throwing it out there; most Swedes consider Henrik Zetterberg to be Sweden's best centre. Z's more clutch, a better leader and one of the world's best two-way players. Europeans in general aren't as obsessed with stats as you North Americans.

I'll easily agree with that. I was just interested in backstrom and Sedin as they play very similar games. I did mention that in the original post. Zetterberg is an amazing player, one of my favourites to watch

I would have added another Swedish center that’s named Henrik as well into this debate but I felt two players will bring better responses. If you want to include him into the debate as well feel free.

Archived