The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What happened to Alex Edler?

VIC_CITY

really he coughs up the puck eh???

check the stats not just your own bias towards the player before you comment on stuff like that the only thing bad about his stats right now is his plus/minus

his points are the same as most of our d-men except garrison plus he has played less games

Do you watch canucks games?

Do you watch canucks games?

Yes we do. Have you seen the stats that point out very clearly how Hamhuis and Bieksa both have more turnovers per game and how Edler's giveaway/takeaway ratio is better than both of them, not to mention recent Norris trophy winning defencemen in Karlsson and Subban?

Let's make this a little clearer:

• If you make a post (positive or negative) be prepared to provide some back up if asked.
  • If you can't do that, be careful to not post something so positive or negative that it's going to get a response.

Id rather have Ehrhoff then Edler because we might very well be in dire need of a guy with his skillset.

Much like Ehroff's departure left a sizable gap weve never been able to fill, the addition of someone with that kind of skillset could solve some serious problems.

Right now the closest we have to a puck moving defenseman is Bieksa. Consider that for a moment.

Aside from a physical presence, Edler is just more of the same. He provides what we already have in abundance.

Both Tanev and Hammer have good a good 1st pass.

Mini mod out in full force today.

Now he's telling other people the rules of posting on a fourm besides me.

I've gotta agree with Stefan, I don't think he watches the games because if he does he must be blind.

I don't think that has anything to do with board rules, just common sense for people who aren't expecting anyone to challenge them on their ill-advised posts.

There's a difference between watching games, and watching games objectively.

Yes we do. Have you seen the stats that point out very clearly how Hamhuis and Bieksa both have more turnovers per game and how Edler's giveaway/takeaway ratio is better than both of them, not to mention recent Norris trophy winning defencemen in Karlsson and Subban?

Let's make this a little clearer:

• If you make a post (positive or negative) be prepared to provide some back up if asked.
  • If you can't do that, be careful to not post something so positive or negative that it's going to get a response.

I see your point about more turnovers but what gets left in that stat is the quality of turnover. Losing the puck along the boards is not as bad as throwing the puck up the middle of the ice in your own zone.

The reason some fans think Hammer and to some extent Bieksa are not as bad as Edler is because his turnovers stick out like a sore thumb. For example the LA series where Edler played like garbage. What if the stats showed Hammer & Bieksa had more turnovers then Edler doesn't mean they had a worse series. Edler might have had only 5 turnovers but all of them could have directly lead to a goal.

With Edler its also not just turnovers its how easily he gets walked around by other forwards as well.

I see your point about more turnovers but what gets left in that stat is the quality of turnover. Losing the puck along the boards is not as bad as throwing the puck up the middle of the ice in your own zone.

The reason some fans think Hammer and to some extent Bieksa are not as bad as Edler is because his turnovers stick out like a sore thumb. For example the LA series where Edler played like garbage. What if the stats showed Hammer & Bieksa had more turnovers then Edler doesn't mean they had a worse series. Edler might have had only 5 turnovers but all of them could have directly lead to a goal.

With Edler its also not just turnovers its how easily he gets walked around by other forwards as well.

So, like the Bieksa turnover a little while back where he lost the puck at the side of our net that got thrown out front resulting in a goal near the end of the game? Or Garrison's around the same time where he tried to put it over a guy's head at the blue line instead of off the boards that also ending up in a late score? Or Hamhuis pinching and bobbling the puck in the loss against LA causing a 3 on 1 and the only goal against?

I'd be happy if someone wants to do some research and show how a higher percentage of Edler's turnovers are in key situations but I'm not seeing it. Prove me wrong since I've already supplied the detail that shows Edler has less turnovers per game.

Mini mod out in full force today.

Now he's telling other people the rules of posting on a fourm besides me.

I've gotta agree with Stefan, I don't think he watches the games because if he does he must be blind.

I don't think that has anything to do with board rules, just common sense for people who aren't expecting anyone to challenge them on their ill-advised posts.

There's a difference between watching games, and watching games objectively.

Go meet for a beer or something and hash this out will ya.

No reason to meet up. Sheriff Apollo is here to settle this.

Verdict: Edler is our best dman. Hamhuis should never be on the powerplay. All our dman need to give away the puck less. Especially juice and hammer followed by edler.

You're welcome. Stop hating on edler Just because he's the only none canadian in our top 4

I don't know if I can say Edler has been our best d-man, but he's certainly underrated by a number of posters (some overrate him too). Our top players simply haven't been good enough this year, including the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa, Hamhuis and Edler.

Outside of the bad, Garrison is putting up points albeit a bit streaky, both Tanev and Stanton have been steady on the back end while producing, Higgins, Richardson and even Kassian of late have been adding to the team and Sestito and Weise are having career years. Santorelli falls in the middle as unexpected and great value but falling off for stretches, and with others not producing it's hard to blame him.

I don't know if I can say Edler has been our best d-man, but he's certainly underrated by a number of posters (some overrate him too). Our top players simply haven't been good enough this year, including the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa, Hamhuis and Edler.

Outside of the bad, Garrison is putting up points albeit a bit streaky, both Tanev and Stanton have been steady on the back end while producing, Higgins, Richardson and even Kassian of late have been adding to the team and Sestito and Weise are having career years. Santorelli falls in the middle as unexpected and great value but falling off for stretches, and with others not producing it's hard to blame him.

Well said... I can't say he's our best but it's so frustrating when people says he's our worst and number one give away machine.

Eddy is good. He's surely played better than hammer and juice and garrison

For what tanev and Stanton make... they've been fantastic. I thought Stanton was really sharp first game back last night.

Edler shouldn't be our trade bait.

lol, I'm definitely up for that. B)

So, like the Bieksa turnover a little while back where he lost the puck at the side of our net that got thrown out front resulting in a goal near the end of the game? Or Garrison's around the same time where he tried to put it over a guy's head at the blue line instead of off the boards that also ending up in a late score? Or Hamhuis pinching and bobbling the puck in the loss against LA causing a 3 on 1 and the only goal against?

I'd be happy if someone wants to do some research and show how a higher percentage of Edler's turnovers are in key situations but I'm not seeing it. Prove me wrong since I've already supplied the detail that shows Edler has less turnovers per game.

Unfortunately no one keeps stats like that although I think it would be a terrific and meaningful stat. I will attempt to monitor this in the next couple games. Also, having said that Edler has been better this year than the last 2 or 3. I think that's Torts though. Too bad AV refused to teach his players anything. Defending is one skill that can easily be taught.

Look, you may be right, maybe he doesn't make more or worse mistakes than everyone else. Maybe I have something against him although I can't imagine what, he's a likable guy. All I know is that in my mind I seem to have him making enough bad plays that it sticks out in my memory. Similarly I think Hansen is faster than Sestito, do I have proof, no but it seems reasonable based on what I see. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything it's just an honest observation.

No reason to meet up. Sheriff Apollo is here to settle this.

Verdict: Edler is our best dman. Hamhuis should never be on the powerplay. All our dman need to give away the puck less. Especially juice and hammer followed by edler.

You're welcome. Stop hating on edler Just because he's the only none canadian in our top 4

Edler on the PP is way more frustrating than Hamhuis. Everytime he winds up to crank one, there's a damn good chance it's going to go right into the shinpads of the guy checking him. Everyone on this thread is talking up his shot - great that it's hard, but if he can't hit get it to the general vicinity of the net, what's the point?

Edler on the PP is way more frustrating than Hamhuis. Everytime he winds up to crank one, there's a damn good chance it's going to go right into the shinpads of the guy checking him. Everyone on this thread is talking up his shot - great that it's hard, but if he can't hit get it to the general vicinity of the net, what's the point?

I agree with Edlers shot selection not being great this year.

But solely from my observations it's still a better threat than hammers.

Hammer can't keep the puck in and control it any where near as well as eddy and his shot is just lame. Hammer isn't a threat. He can't even pinch well like bieksa and eddy

Then you must really be frustrated by Garrison on the PP.

I think Edler just needs to have one really good playoff performance.

From the bad plays in the WCF Sharks series and all the broken sticks that could've become make-believe goals, I reckon that's where it started, lingered, and just got picked up by people who don't have any clue what's going on.

And now it's lost and out of control. Much like everything we pretend we know.

Still say Edler as a PWF...

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler= worked very well start of the season but causes lack of depth on the lineup but like Detroit with Datsyk and Zetterburg sometimes its needed

Edler-?-Kassian= somebody does need to be brought in like a Turris or Schenn...Schroeder can take that spot and do well in a perfect world

Burrows-Santo-Hansen

Sestito-Richardson-Weise

Hamhuis-Tanev

Garrison-Bieksa

Stanton-Weber

That's a pretty good lineup Booth can easily be used as depth then we have Lain who also good depth at forward but d is a little weak may be worth seeing about a cheap rental for d to keep min down

Archived