The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gino Odjick talks about post-career concussion related struggles

believe in blue forever

There could be lots of issues here. Which ones legit and which not?

Alcohol and violence tend to show up next to each other, even when not mutually exclusive. Gino himself mentioned being addicted to the blows. And it does rear the responsibilities of the league and clubs, certainly in regards to violence.

For example (a parallel might be a better description) ; it used to be perfectly legal to mine and handle asbestos. And it carried on long after people knew it was dangerous because people were addicted to the money involved. But now its taboo.

Everybody knew letting Gino get punched in the head was dangerous. There probably is liability. Perhaps good for Gino, and perhaps opportunistic, this also coincides with publicity over court cases and possible payouts over concussions with hockey players.

And Gino himself has liability. Its highly plausible he would have lived a similar lifestyle (not to the same grandeur) with our without hockey. Perhaps all the more the reason its seen as a disease, regardless of which taboo we are discussing (Gino has more than one). And that Gino gets help which a human being should be entitled too!

Get well brotha!

i know its a serious problem and I hope he can recover .. I do think that without the concussions he would still probably not have been the hardest guy in the world to beat at cards .. just saying ..

. “People just looked like Martians. They looked like they were from another planet. I couldn’t remember how to get to the rink for half the season. I was totally forgetful. I couldn’t remember what time it was, what I was supposed to be doing." Gino

The game will slowly change because too many lives have been lost and ruined with players and their families suffering.

The unaffected majority have refused to accept what is now the very obvious.

Unfortunately,the NHL,clubs and some fans still have next to zero desire in acknowledging or understanding brain injuries and concussions,never mind have their thirst for violence quenched.

That's because people want violent, edgy and emotional sh!t.

Can you show any sensitivity?

If someone's reaching out for help does it matter? Maybe alcohol is a coping mechanism for some? Wisecracks have no place in this story as far as I'm concerned.

Couldn't agree more. Gino is one of my all time favorites. He brought excitement to the ice and he paid a price for it. He made millions of dollars in the process (which I hope he's invested wisely) but now that he's opening up and showing the price he paid for it, I think we should support him.

You act like these players are forced to play the game and are unable to get out. They are not forced they know the rules they know risks and don't say oh well concussions and brain injuries weren't known back then because that's horse crap. It does not take a rocket scientists to know that getting punching in the head is unhealthy and dangerous and most people wouldn't do it but if you pay them millions of dollars, or hundreds of thousands of dollars, suddenly they don't care about the risks anymore.

Obviously there needs to be precautions taken to prevent these injuries as much as possible but end of the day they are paid to play hockey not to skate around like little fairies sprinkling dust on each other. You don't like it don't watch it.

The voice of reason is usually not appreciated when one can dwell in raw emotionalism.

It goes to show that people will do almost anything to be accepted. I remember the Bure years. He was pretty much like the team guard dog. It makes so much sense now, because he played his 5-10 minutes a game and get a pat on the back for being a good boy and getting in a fight. I wonder how many other 4th liners feel this way. He can't be the only one!

Interesting read, it brings up the memory of my concussion from my bike mountainbiking accident when I was a kid, I hate concussions and hate having see people have to deal with them. I couldn't believe what I was reading when Odjick said he was addicted to getting and recieving blows in a fight though!

Archived