The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is the media trying to bash Russia?

Del Rio

Just watching the coverage on CBC and it is ridiculous. The media and people outside of Russia are almost hoping these Olympics fail and keep bashing and putting them down. Just before the opening ceremonies CBC played a piece criticizing Putin and Russia and saying if something happens it's all his fault.

Even Ovechkin called out reporters for this. I have no connection to Russia but it really pisses me off when the media and even viewers are such homers, putting down Russia any way they can. Yeah things haven't gone smooth there with things being unfinished and issues, but they are obviously trying to get everything right.

The olympic village and area with all the venues are such a nice area and they have spent billions to get ready for these games, but it is impossible for everything to run smooth as silk. Things happen.

Leave it to CBC to create controversy or act unprofessional. Apparently to them, every winter Olympic sport is hockey related. Through the remarks of the commentators, I couldn't tell if I was watching what is supposed to be a celebration and acknowledgement of ALL winter sports or Hockey night in Sochi. The CTV/TSN guys covering Vancouver 2010 were much better.

I agree CBC in particular likes to bash Russia more than the other Canadian media outlets. Almost every headline I have seen leading up to the open ceremonies have Putin in the title to create controversy. They are not Putins games but instead Russia's games and in general Global games...

Yeah it kind of goes against the whole Olympic spirit to nitpick and not celebrate the event. Although I didn't see all of them, I liked the opening ceremonies and thought they did a great job. It's a sheeple thing...they (CBC) get on a negative aspect of things and run with it. Kind of like they did with the Canucks...same deal.

Yeah it kind of goes against the whole Olympic spirit to nitpick and not celebrate the event. Although I didn't see all of them, I liked the opening ceremonies and thought they did a great job. It's a sheeple thing...they (CBC) get on a negative aspect of things and run with it. Kind of like they did with the Canucks...same deal.

Ceremonies are supposed to be a celebration and happy time and the athletes were all excited and full of joy. Yet just before starting CBC shows their piece almost threatening Russia that if things go bad how they will look and criticizing them.

It's just unfair to Russia. They want things to go well and the world to see their country more than anybody else.

i'd like to say it is all because people are becoming more educated and seeing how the Olympics are just a giant sham spurred by money, corruption, and political dishonesty to press a phony sense of nationalism spurred by corporatism

but the truth is that this is just how it always is. lots of nations were bad-mouthing vancouver (especially England), EVERY nation was badmouthing Beijing. everyone is badmouthing Brazil over the World Cup--it's just how it is.

Russia, unfortunately, starts with one foot in the grave already because of the whole east-versus-west history, not to mention the insanely backwards politics that these "happy celebrations" are highlighting

Ceremonies are supposed to be a celebration and happy time and the athletes were all excited and full of joy. Yet just before starting CBC shows their piece almost threatening Russia that if things go bad how they will look and criticizing them.

It's just unfair to Russia. They want things to go well and the world to see their country more than anybody else.

You obviously know nothing about Russia. They havent spent millions, they've spent billions. And displaced their own citizens and stopped projects that actually benefit the people of Russia like fixing roads just so they can pretend they aren't an ass backwards government and throw an expensive party on the backs of the russian people.

And it's a good thing the Russian government are taking a 'dont ask, dont tell' approach to their anti-gay stance for the Olympics. Or else a number of athletes wouldn't be welcome. I think Putin and his regime deserve all the criticism they get.

You obviously know nothing about Russia. They havent spent millions, they've spent billions. And displaced their own citizens and stopped projects that actually benefit the people of Russia like fixing roads just so they can pretend they aren't an ass backwards government and throw an expensive party on the backs of the russian people.

And it's a good thing the Russian government are taking a 'dont ask, dont tell' approach to their anti-gay stance for the Olympics. Or else a number of athletes wouldn't be welcome. I think Putin and his regime deserve all the criticism they get.

That is another thing that I don't get. I don't agree with their anti-gay stance one bit, I don't understand why this is a political issue anywhere. But end of the day that is their country and way of life. It's the same how Canadian's don't want others to change their way of life, yet expect other countries to live according our way of life and our way is the only right way. Half of the U.S doesn't even agree with gay marriage yet no one really calls them out on it or criticizes them.

You may not like their way of life and they may not like ours but you gotta respect each other's ways.

That is another thing that I don't get. I don't agree with their anti-gay stance one bit, I don't understand why this is a political issue anywhere. But end of the day that is their country and way of life. It's the same how Canadian's don't want others to change their way of life, yet expect other countries to live according our way of life and our way is the only right way. Half of the U.S doesn't even agree with gay marriage yet no one really calls them out on it or criticizes them.

You may not like their way of life and they may not like ours but you gotta respect each other's ways.

come on

this isn't about gay marriage. in russia, during this 'event,' being openly gay is a crime worthy of prison. it's not about marriage rights, it's about human rights

and no, you don't need to respect someone's ways just because

It's not just the media in Canada. When i compare the discussion to the 2008 summer games for example, it's just ridiculous. China violates human rights: nobody cares, because China is such an important partner. Russia violates human rights: that's very bad, we have to complain about it all the time and we critisize politicians for going there

It's not just the media in Canada. When i compare the discussion to the 2008 summer games for example, it's just ridiculous. China violates human rights: nobody cares, because China is such an important partner. Russia violates human rights: that's very bad, we have to complain about it all the time and we critisize politicians for going there

you have a selective memory or you just weren't paying attention at the time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concerns_and_controversies_at_the_2008_Summer_Olympics

maybe the chinese government strapped a muzzle on some news agencies or reporters, but to say nobody cared just isn't true. pretty much everyone with any sense of decency and without a hand in the financial pot cared.

come on

this isn't about gay marriage. in russia, during this 'event,' being openly gay is a crime worthy of prison. it's not about marriage rights, it's about human rights

and no, you don't need to respect someone's ways just because

Well when you're in their country you have to. Canadian's wouldn't like it if someone else thought like this coming here without question. You can't have it both ways telling people to live your ways here but you don't have to live their ways. That's the way the world is. As I said I don't agree at all with Russia's law and views on gay right,s but that's their country and ways and I wouldn't go there.

Just watching the coverage on CBC and it is ridiculous. The media and people outside of Russia are almost hoping these Olympics fail and keep bashing and putting them down. Just before the opening ceremonies CBC played a piece criticizing Putin and Russia and saying if something happens it's all his fault.

Even Ovechkin called out reporters for this. I have no connection to Russia but it really pisses me off when the media and even viewers are such homers, putting down Russia any way they can. Yeah things haven't gone smooth there with things being unfinished and issues, but they are obviously trying to get everything right.

The olympic village and area with all the venues are such a nice area and they have spent billions to get ready for these games, but it is impossible for everything to run smooth as silk. Things happen.

Pretty ironic considering when the 2010 olympics were held in Vancouver some of these CBC news reporters were writing about how unfair the treatment of Vancouver Olympics by outside media was. Now that the tables have turned, they are then ones bashing other Olympic hosts. I just don't like that arrogant and pretentious attitude of the Canadian media towards Russian Olympics considering how they were defending our Olympics from outside criticism.

Archived