The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Czechoslovakia?

-AJ-

This just came to mind yesterday. The Czech Republic and Slovakian teams aren't the powerhouses they used to be. What if, hypothetically, the country never split up? How good would they be? Would they challenge for a medal?

I was going to do an entire roster, but settled for just getting the goaltenders.

Pavelec, Halak, and Budaj

Pavelec or Halak would surely start, but it's hard to pick one over the other.

As for Defensemen, I'll list of some of the more prominent names

Defense

Z. Michalek

M. Rozsival

L. Smid

M. Zidlicky

Z. Chara

A. Meszaros

A. Sekera

Forwards

P. Elias

M. Erat

M. Frolik

M. Hanzal

A. Hemsky

J. Jagr

D. Krejci

M. Michalek

T. Plekanec

J. Voracek

M. Handzus

Marian Hossa

T. Jurco

T. Kopecky

R. Panik

T. Tatar

So what do you think? Would they be able to match with the powerhouses of our era?

I'm Slovakian, and this would never happen. Even if they tried to make it happen, politics would just get in the way...and although there wasn't any kind of hostility when Slovakia and Czech Republic broke apart, we still really don't like each other. another thing too, we're big-time hockey rivals, it would be like Canada and the US joining together to form a single team...where's the fun in that?

I'm Slovakian, and this would never happen. Even if they tried to make it happen, politics would just get in the way...and although there wasn't any kind of hostility when Slovakia and Czech Republic broke apart, we still really don't like each other. another thing too, we're big-time hockey rivals, it would be like Canada and the US joining together to form a single team...where's the fun in that?

That's why I said hypthetically. I know it will never happen, but it's just a hypothetical situation.

This.

The combo team on paper is still no better than Canada, Sweden, Russia or even Finland. They are basically the current Czech team with Chara and Hossa.

Yes sadly Slovakia isn't a powerhouse in hockey anymore...and with the way the economy has gone hockey is becoming played less and less. It's a shame too, if only we had more funding from the government then maybe we could be a hockey powerhouse. I mean you look at countries like Finland and Sweden which have around the same size of population it is a little inexcusable.....but oh well! I'm hoping Slovakia surprises people at this tournament like we did in Vancouver, but I at least hope for a bronze :)

A better analogy would be if Quebec separated from Canada. Quebec is winning most of the medals in Sochi.

As far as the hockey team this year we only have 4 from la belle province, St. Louis, Bergeron, Vlasic and Luongo. But over the years it could take Canada's team down a peg.

But imagine the Gold medal game this year if it was Price (from BC) against Luongo (from Quebec).

This just came to mind yesterday. The Czech Republic and Slovakian teams aren't the powerhouses they used to be. What if, hypothetically, the country never split up? How good would they be? Would they challenge for a medal?

I was going to do an entire roster, but settled for just getting the goaltenders.

Pavelec, Halak, and Budaj

Pavelec or Halak would surely start, but it's hard to pick one over the other.

As for Defensemen, I'll list of some of the more prominent names

Defense

Z. Michalek

M. Rozsival

L. Smid

M. Zidlicky

Z. Chara

A. Meszaros

A. Sekera

Forwards

P. Elias

M. Erat

M. Frolik

M. Hanzal

A. Hemsky

J. Jagr

D. Krejci

M. Michalek

T. Plekanec

J. Voracek

M. Handzus

Marian Hossa

T. Jurco

T. Kopecky

R. Panik

T. Tatar

So what do you think? Would they be able to match with the powerhouses of our era?

Yep that is a powerhouse alright and if they still had that team they would be a legit contender this year for gold

This.

The combo team on paper is still no better than Canada, Sweden, Russia or even Finland. They are basically the current Czech team with Chara and Hossa.

Yes but Chara is an amazing player and Hossa is pretty good as well and oh don't forget Gaborick

The US isn't Canada's hockey rival, always been Russia. Russia knocks Canada out of tournaments, you can't be a rival with someone you always beat.

To the OP, they still wouldn't be as strong as Canada/Russia/Sweden but would be a lot stronger. The problem is the Czech's haven't ever really been that great of a hockey nation as previously mentioned, they just had a couple really, REALLY good players.

Archived