The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sounds to me like Isle want Dal Colle

I was just listening to NHL radio, Mike Morreale (an NHL.com writer) was on talking about the prospects since he’s at the combine right now.

Summary was:

Ekblad is likely to go first overall but could slip (similar to seth jones) as defense aren’t as exciting picks (since they take longer to develop) and don’t usually drop due to higher risk.

Reinhart and Bennett are both skilled and they gave Reinhart the slight egde.

Draisaitl could slide into the top 2 or 3 spot as he’s is highly touted and very similar to Jagr, Might be the perfect pick for the oilers if Ekblad is taken.

Demko will be the highest drafted American goalie since Campbell.

Nylander has enough skill to be in consideration for number 1 spot, size and character could see him fall

Dal Colle is everything the islanders are looking for in a player. and he should fall to them. He does have the upside to be the steal even at number 5. A big, skilled winger to play alongside Tavares.

Hunter Smith had the biggest increase this year as he was originally scouted to go 138 and now is 34.

They did talk about the possibility of Florida trading down for a young NHL ready winger and a pick, so they could pick a goalie prospect that can come in and develop in their system and under Luongo. Owners do want to make a playoff push now that they are dishing out the dollars for Luongo so they can’t afford not to, Winning sells seats and there star goalie is only getting older. It will all come down to if they see something to turn them off the idea of Ekland and Reinhart, and what kind of offers they could get. Trading that pick rarely happens.

Ehlers, Virtanen weren’t mentioned at all and even Ritchie was only briefly mentioned. Not to say they don’t think highly of them, just didn’t say much.

Me too. Thanks for this +1 :)

Sounds to me like Isle want Dal Colle

I was just listening to NHL radio, Mike Morreale (an NHL.com writer) was on talking about the prospects since he’s at the combine right now.

Summary was:

Ekblad is likely to go first overall but could slip (similar to seth jones) as defense aren’t as exciting picks (since they take longer to develop) and don’t usually drop due to higher risk.

Reinhart and Bennett are both skilled and they gave Reinhart the slight egde.

Draisaitl could slide into the top 2 or 3 spot as he’s is highly touted and very similar to Jagr, Might be the perfect pick for the oilers if Ekblad is taken.

Demko will be the highest drafted American goalie since Campbell.

Nylander has enough skill to be in consideration for number 1 spot, size and character could see him fall

Dal Colle is everything the islanders are looking for in a player. and he should fall to them. He does have the upside to be the steal even at number 5. A big, skilled winger to play alongside Tavares.

Hunter Smith had the biggest increase this year as he was originally scouted to go 138 and now is 34.

They did talk about the possibility of Florida trading down for a young NHL ready winger and a pick, so they could pick a goalie prospect that can come in and develop in their system and under Luongo. Owners do want to make a playoff push now that they are dishing out the dollars for Luongo so they can’t afford not to, Winning sells seats and there star goalie is only getting older. It will all come down to if they see something to turn them off the idea of Ekland and Reinhart, and what kind of offers they could get. Trading that pick rarely happens.

Ehlers, Virtanen weren’t mentioned at all and even Ritchie was only briefly mentioned. Not to say they don’t think highly of them, just didn’t say much.

Thank god Ritchie looks like he'll stay at #6

Edmonton would never take him over Leon

NYI need a player that's gonna play this season so they don't royally fudge their franchise and draft Mcdavid to Buffalo, and that's Dal Colle

And Burke wouldn't pick Ritchie over Bennett if Draisaitl was taken.

I know people will laugh but I had Ritchie at 14th at the start of the year, and thought to my self man if we just miss the playoffs we'd get such a power forward.

Well I am glad Ritchie won't go 14th, and I am even more glad the Canucks don't draft 14th

NYI need a player that's gonna play this season so they don't royally fudge their franchise and draft Mcdavid to Buffalo, and that's Dal Colle

I know people will laugh but I had Ritchie at 14th at the start of the year, and thought to my self man if we just miss the playoffs we'd get such a power forward.

Well I am glad Ritchie won't go 14th, and I am even more glad the Canucks don't draft 14th

Didnt read that part. Where does it say that?

I really feel like Ekblad and Tanev on the right side in 2-3 years will be one of the best 1-2 punches on defence. I think Edler, Hansen, and the 6th gets it done, maybe a little extra added from our side.

Hmm I know I am totally over valuing Tanev but if he gets moved I'd like to think Benning tries to hold onto #6 as well.

Tanev is still young so not like they are taking on an aging Dman, while he won't be as good as Ekblad, he is also NHL ready now so that could play into making a deal.

In a pipe dream the offer that might get it done would be Tanev + Edler + Hansen + 2nd. If Edler doesn't waive then perhaps someone else on the roster might interest Florida, While they don't get a top pick in this draft they do potentially get 2 NHL ready Dmen + Hansen who might flourish more in the East & they add a high 2nd, so potentially still quite a bit of gems still kicking at 36.

I know its not likely to happen but one can dream as the infusion of prospects would be pretty amazing.

you act like Ritchie is going to be the best player in the NHL when in reality his highest ceiling is 50-60 points a year. calm down.

you act like Ritchie is going to be the best player in the NHL when in reality his highest ceiling is 50-60 points a year. calm down.

Lucic only scorers 60 points a year but does anyone think he is not the best power forward in the league? His element is that he gets other players off their game and creates space for his teammates which in itself is probably worth the 20+ points a season you give up for drafting a more skilled player. I'm not saying Ritchie will be as good as Lucic but you have to understand that scoring points is not their best asset to contribute to the team.

Lucic only scorers 60 points a year but does anyone think he is not the best power forward in the league? His element is that he gets other players off their game and creates space for his teammates which in itself is probably worth the 20+ points a season you give up for drafting a more skilled player. I'm not saying Ritchie will be as good as Lucic but you have to understand that scoring points is not their best asset to contribute to the team.

lucic didn't do much in the playoffs at all where they needed him most. And for a player to be a "Cornerstone* of the franchise they have to be able to put up the points to lead this team. or he has to use his body like lucic does but Ritchie doesn't do that. sure he can do power moves against junior players but he doesn't play with the same grit factor that lucic has so Ritchie will not be a cornerstone forthis team making picking him a huge mistake. lets hope they don't just go after him because he has a big body. we have plenty.

I know we are all excited about having the 6th pick. It has been a while since we have picked that high. Even though guys like Ritchie, Ehlers, Virtanen, etc are good prospects they are unlikely to be a big component to turn around the franchise. Our prospect pool even including this years 6th pick will be in the bottom third of the league. We need to move up in the draft. The difference in quality between a top 3 pick and the 6th pick is massive. That is how you start to rebuild.

Ritchie got 74 points in 61 games. I dont know if he ever gets 60 in the NHL. Maybe he does. Who knows, perhaps he can get more.

Ehlers scored 104 points..........but its true he played 2 extra games.

I like the idea of having Ritchie's power game being in our line up. Its true we already have Kass and Matthias but another one couldnt hurt.

I like the idea of having a 30 goal 80 point guy who has game breaking skill and speed in the lineup better. :)

Not sure why people have such hard ons for Ritchie. It seems we already have a powerforward in Kassian, no?

I am also liking Shawn Mattias. Given more icetime, he could become a 15 goal 30 point guy who also crashes and bangs. 6ft 4 and 232 pounds I do believe. Actually he shaved down to 225.

Say what you will about Gillis, his last trade he made as a Canuck was a good one.

I am also liking Shawn Mattias. Given more icetime, he could become a 15 goal 30 point guy who also crashes and bangs. 6ft 4 and 232 pounds I do believe. Actually he shaved down to 225.

Say what you will about Gillis, his last trade he made as a Canuck was a good one.

I actually think he could be better than that. He did put up 14 goals and 21 points in the 48 game lock out year. Giving the right ice time and right line mates. We will see what happens this off season but the Booth Matthias Kassian line at the end of last year was our best line a lot of nights.

I do agree tho, this team doesn't need a big PWF, We could really use some high end skill. Someone to compliment our current young roster

I have heard the top players in the 15 draft are very good. Any word on the depth of the draft? As good as 13?

It will be a pretty good one. Barzal and Merkley are going to be top line players and that's just the top end of the Dub. I've also heard there are 8-10 really good players in teh OHL.

It's a way better year then this one for sure.

I have heard the top players in the 15 draft are very good. Any word on the depth of the draft? As good as 13?

I've heard the top 12 is filled with 1st line potential players, top 6 is elite players. McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin and Kylington supposedly have franchise potential. Not sure about overall depth though... checking out the rankings and some of the players (CHL) in the 2nd round have the same amount of points in their rookie season as players in this years draft ranked out of the top 5 and below... could be as good as 2013 in terms of depth...

This player is ranked 48th, Blake Speers, had same or higher amount of points in rookie season as Perlini, Virtanen, and Bennett

Here's Rankings. http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2015/

It will be a pretty good one. Barzal and Merkley are going to be top line players and that's just the top end of the Dub. I've also heard there are 8-10 really good players in teh OHL.

It's a way better year then this one for sure.

Would you say next years draft is top line player heavy but the depth is not as good or is it crazy good throughout the 1st 2 rounds?

What I mean is it a draft where the top 10 players are close to being cant miss types (based on their JR play ofcourse they could still burnout in the NHL) but then its a significant drop off or would a later 1st rounder still be a worthy add (thinking IF Kes gets dealt a 2015 1st would be a nice add)

Archived