The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ehlers has 'elite' level skill....you won't find that after the10th pick

We won't. 29 other nhl teams have a fighting chance. I think Ehlers will end up very much like Brule, I just don't think it's worth the risk if Bennett, Drasaitl, Dal Colle or Virtanen are available. I'd say at 10th yes go for it, because beyond 7 or 8 guys this year it's a crap shoot.

I think Jensen and Gaunce were picked around 25-30..hopefully they pan out....

I hope they do, I'm hoping that Gaunce gets a couple games to see if he can make the adjustment and I thought Jensen finally looked ready....although he might just be the best of a brutal situation.

Yes, could very well be true, but I'd like to think that most players picked in the top 25-30 should have enough tools in the toolbox to at least be developed into a 3rd/4th liner or a 6th defenseman.

We usually don't take a player in the first round to fill a role as 3rd/4th liner or 6th defenseman

We won't. 29 other nhl teams have a fighting chance. I think Ehlers will end up very much like Brule, I just don't think it's worth the risk if Bennett, Drasaitl, Dal Colle or Virtanen are available. I'd say at 10th yes go for it, because beyond 7 or 8 guys this year it's a crap shoot.

Agreed....We can go two ways....Import: Ehlers/Nylander.......Domestic: Ritchie/Virtanen

We usually don't take a player in the first round to fill a role as 3rd/4th liner or 6th defenseman

2004 Shnieder- success

2005 Bourdon- (won't comment on tradgedys)

2006 Grabner - ( one great season in nyi, played less than a season for us)

2007 White - complete bust

2008 Hodgson- great player, terribly mismanaged

2009 Schroeder- looking like a bust

2010 no first

2011 Jensen - looks like he may be okay(only 19 game sample size in 3 seasons though)

2012 Gaunce - smart but speed may prevent him from making the jump

2013 Boho, Shink...to early to tell

So no we don't even draft players that are likely to have a 5+ season nhl career about half the time. I'd be happy if we could even achieve an nhl player in the first round every year. That's the point I'm trying to make.

If it so happens that Drasaitl falls to us, would you guys take him? Personally I would still go with Ehlers.

I would probably go with Draisaitl.

Though I do think Ehlers has star upside, though, and eventually could be as good or better than some of the guys that are seen right now as to be the clear top 5.

Don't forget that the Canucks only had one top 10 pick in 14 years (due to our success)...You can't blame Gillis for that.....Although,the fact we couldn't find any decent players in the later rounds is pretty damming of our scouting staff.

I disagree here, I think we have found some actually.

Wonder how you guys think Ehlers or Nylander would look in the King vs Shark series.

Enough already with the fast shifty perimeter players. Just go and sign Raymond or Cammalleri.

At 6 it better be Ritchie or Virtanen or a top 5 dropper.

If you look at our youth we need some size that can win puck battles, drive the net and blast rockets.

Horvat Shinkaruk Kassian

Cassels Jensen Schroeder

Gaunce Fox Grenier

Wonder how you guys think Ehlers or Nylander would look in the King vs Shark series.

Enough already with the fast shifty perimeter players. Just go and sign Raymond or Cammalleri.

If you look at our youth we need some size that can win puck battles, drive the net and blast rockets.

Horvat Shinkaruk Kassian

Cassels Jensen Schroeder

Gaunce Fox Grenier

Exactly, +1

The only place Ehlers is ranked in the top 10 is at Canucks dot com. I think central scouting has him at 13th among NA skaters and iss has him at 13th or 12th overall(not including goalies). So if he's picked in the top 10, technically somebody went off the board.

The scouting reports go on after the end of march. He has continually risen up the draft because nobody knew anything about him. He is now ranked 6th by the Hockey Writers and several other mock drafts.

There is no way he is still there by #9 .

If we take Ritchie and Carolina take Nylander, then Toronto will take Ehlers at #8.

In fact, the Islander fans are debating taking Ehlers or Dal Colle if Drasaitl is gone.

Horvat Shinkaruk Kassian

Cassels Jensen Schroeder

Gaunce Fox Grenier

By age 25 they will dominate anything the Kings or Sharks put out. Just like MacKinnon has.

Ehlers isnt a 'perimeter player' and your attempt to water the guy down to invalidate him resolves nothing. I dont know too much about Nylander so I cant comment on his ability to drive to the net.

2004 Shnieder- success

2005 Bourdon- (won't comment on tradgedys)

2006 Grabner - ( one great season in nyi, played less than a season for us)

2007 White - complete bust

2008 Hodgson- great player, terribly mismanaged

2009 Schroeder- looking like a bust

2010 no first

2011 Jensen - looks like he may be okay(only 19 game sample size in 3 seasons though)

2012 Gaunce - smart but speed may prevent him from making the jump

2013 Boho, Shink...to early to tell

So no we don't even draft players that are likely to have a 5+ season nhl career about half the time. I'd be happy if we could even achieve an nhl player in the first round every year. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Wrong. He is a huge disappointment. Every redo draft of 2008 has him anywhere from 19th to 28th overall. Ted Nolan came out and stated to the media Hodgson is not capable of handling the defensive side of being a center so he converted him to wing to complement Girgensons.

Only Hodgsons mom and dad still think he is great. I doubt Cody himself believes the unfair hype that was given to him anymore.

The scouting reports go on after the end of march. He has continually risen up the draft because nobody knew anything about him. He is now ranked 6th by the Hockey Writers and several other mock drafts.

There is no way he is still there by #9 .

If we take Ritchie and Carolina take Nylander, then Toronto will take Ehlers at #8.

In fact, the Islander fans are debating taking Ehlers or Dal Colle if Drasaitl is gone.

I think he's gone by #7......even an outside chance of being in the top 5

Calgary wont pick ritchie over draisaitl. Ritchie is amazing but draisaitil is in another echelon

Huge chance it will happen. Drasaitl apparently is not a very strong back checker.

Recently his thread is getting popular, the comparisons is that his skill set is like Anze Kopitar, his dangling and offensive skills, and somewhat of his size. Which is fine, but as we all know, Kopitar is a Selke calibre centerman. Fans whois seen him play and said good things about Drasaitl HOWEVER, despite having elite offensive abilities, his back checking abilities is nothing like Kopitars, and his physical play you can say is only so so at best in comparison to Kopitar, so on to other words, the only thing that is compariable is only offensive skills, puck handling abitlies, etc etc, but back checking and defensive skills is nothing like Kopitars.

By age 25 they will dominate anything the Kings or Sharks put out. Just like MacKinnon has.

Please kindly stop comparing Ehlers to Mackinnon. Just stop right there. think about what your saying right now, you a long with the other fans with Ehlers erections.

Stop for a second, when you guys compare Ehlers to Bure, Naslund or Mackinnon.

You guys know how funny you guys sound? I'm shaking my head here, here we are.... one of the "weaker" drafts Mackkinnon is probably the best prospect since Jonathan Tavares, yet you guys think Ehlers is at his level and he's not even ranked number 1in his so called Weak draft? Let alone comparing him to Superstars like Pavel Bure, (probably the deadliest goals scorer ever to play the game) and Markus Naslund one of the great Canucks of all time? Get real guys, if Ehlers was anything even like Naslund he be competing for the number 1 spot, and now there are fans who are not even willing to use the 6h pick on him, get real guys. Ehlers erections at full force. Unbelievable.

Huge chance it will happen. Drasaitl apparently is not a very strong back checker.

Recently his thread is getting popular, the comparisons is that his skill set is like Anze Kopitar, his dangling and offensive skills, and somewhat of his size. Which is fine, but as we all know, Kopitar is a Selke calibre centerman. Fans whois seen him play and said good things about Drasaitl HOWEVER, despite having elite offensive abilities, his back checking abilities is nothing like Kopitars, and his physical play you can say is only so so at best in comparison to Kopitar, so on to other words, the only thing that is compariable is only offensive skills, puck handling abitlies, etc etc, but back checking and defensive skills is nothing like Kopitars.

Please kindly stop comparing Ehlers to Mackinnon. Just stop right there. think about what your saying right now, you a long with the other fans with Ehlers erections.

Stop for a second, when you guys compare Ehlers to Bure, Naslund or Mackinnon.

You guys know how funny you guys sound? I'm shaking my head here, here we are.... one of the "weaker" drafts Mackkinnon is probably the best prospect since Jonathan Tavares, yet you guys think Ehlers is at his level and he's not even ranked number 1in his so called Weak draft? Let alone comparing him to Superstars like Pavel Bure, (probably the deadliest goals scorer ever to play the game) and Markus Naslund one of the great Canucks of all time? Get real guys, if Ehlers was anything even like Naslund he be competing for the number 1 spot, and now there are fans who are not even willing to use the 6h pick on him, get real guys. Ehlers erections at full force. Unbelievable.

Burke did not sound all that impressed with Drasaitl in a recent interview.....However,he s a cagey guy ,and nobody likes skilled players more than Burke (he drafted the Sedins and Kadri)....seems like a bit of a smokescreen to me..

Please get off your high horse about the Ehlers comparisons...Nobody is saying he's Pavel Bure or Tavares ...Ehlers isn't even in the top 5..Marcus Naslund was picked 16th overall,so what does that tell you...?....Its a crapshoot.....Ehlers will be picked before #7 IMO...

Burke did not sound all that impressed with Drasaitl in a recent interview.....However,he s a cagey guy ,and nobody likes skilled players more than Burke (he drafted the Sedins and Kadri)....seems like a bit of a smokescreen to me..

Please get off your high horse about the Ehlers comparisons...Nobody is saying he's Pavel Bure or Tavares ...Ehlers isn't even in the top 5..Marcus Naslund was picked 16th overall,so what does that tell you...?....Its a crapshoot.....Ehlers will be picked before #7 IMO...

Nobody is saying he's Pavel Bure or Tavares ...Ehlers isn't even in the top 5..Marcus Naslund was picked 16th overall,so what does that tell you...?....Its a crapshoot.....Ehlers will be picked before #7 IMO...

WRONG! countless crazy Canucks fans have compared him to Pavel Bure! Please kindly drop by the Ehlers thread before making that comment! No one compared him to Tavares but he's been compared to Mackkinon on numerous occasions, just scroll up!

Marcus Naslund was picked 16th

sooooooo what are you trying to say? Yea it's a crap shoot, so now take out the variables, and draft the best player.

Ritchie and Ehlers both have skill, ok check, no one wins, that one, both have speed, ok that cancels out too,

Ritchie fights, point for richie

Ritchie hits point for ritchie again

Ritchie is 6'3 230, Ehlers is is maybe 5'11 and maybe probably 160lb (there is no way in hell he's anywhere near 170. he's playing too much hockey at this point to even gaining any weight.

so yes as you said, crap shoot, that said I will take the safer player.

WRONG! countless crazy Canucks fans have compared him to Pavel Bure! Please kindly drop by the Ehlers thread before making that comment! No one compared him to Tavares but he's been compared to Mackkinon on numerous occasions, just scroll up!

sooooooo what are you trying to say? Yea it's a crap shoot, so now take out the variables, and draft the best player.

Ritchie and Ehlers both have skill, ok check, no one wins, that one, both have speed, ok that cancels out too,

Ritchie is 6'3 230, Ehlers is is maybe 5'11 and maybe probably 160lb (there is no way in hell he's anywhere near 170. he's playing too much hockey at this point to even gaining any weight.

Come on, you have to admit that Ehlers has more skill and definitely more speed than Ritchie, that's not even debatable.

I also think this team could use more speed and skill on it right now than size IMO.

Because Ritchie fights and Ritchie hits and has 100 extra pounds....You're starting to sound a bit like Ban TSN...

Because Ritchie fights and Ritchie hits and has 100 extra pounds....You're starting to sound a bit like Ban TSN...

Didn't you guys learn anything from the Sedins? I mean it was great the 4 years when their skilled shined through and they dominated. But on 1-dimension players when that dimension runs out, what good are they?. Instead of taking a player with 1 tool in the toolbox and hopeing you can develop the others, why not get the guy with lots of tools and hope that he can improve the quality of them.

It'd be like having a carpenter coming to repair your house with a butter knife. Sure he might use that butter knife better than anyone around....but what happens when he's gotta pound some nails in? He'd be pretty useless I bet.

Archived