The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I see more perimeter game in Virtanen, actually. He seems to try and do it all himself and skates around and shoots from the boards a lot. Ehlers cuts to the middle and makes plays all over.

I'm a Ritchie guy but I think I may be more into Ehlers than Virtanen if I don't get my man.

Agreed.

People seem to associate him with being a soft perimeter player just because he's European and think he's small. To me, it looks like he plays in all areas of the o-zone. He cuts to the middle and goes to the net, he doesn't always play on the boards, and he doesn't always try to do it all on his own. None of those things scream perimeter player to me.

Where do we go to find out news about the combine? All I am finding is on here or HFboards.

Yah...TSN used to air a special show on the combine, in previous years. Lost the rights maybe..or could be scheduled for this Friday? There's a site publishing the annual NHL Combine Testing Results,... but it hasn't been updated, yet. New-testing methods were introduced this year, but the results & stuff just aren't beng floated-around as much, this time. I don't get that. Maybe they're holding back things, to air on the eve of the 2014 Draft & dont want to steal their own thunder now. I dunno? :sadno:

Dalton Thrower could possibly go back into this draft if he isn't signed by June 1st by Montreal. I would love to pick him up in the 2nd round if he drops that far. Ville Pokka almost re-entered to this draft but got signed by NYI yesterday.

Daniel Zaar is another guy I would take a chance on, he has a great shot, very good offensive player and is 6'0 176 pounds.

^^ No, I'd say the other way around. If it's true that a team like Carolina really wants him and we actually do too, then maybe we do too, but I'd think we try and draft as much high end forward talent as we can this year. There just isn't enough defensive talent after Ekblad to take one at 6th, and we might even be better off taking a defenceman in the middle of the first round next year.

We will and did. The interviews last over several days. Ehlers and Nylander were interviewed on the second day as multiple posters have already noted.

Fraternal twins instead of identical? Even then it's a bit of disparity, but still possible.

That is good to know. Did they interview Ritchie yet? I would figure Ehlers Nylander and Ritchie would be three guys they would have to interview .

I think the Virtanen and Fleury interviews might suggest we are trading down or trading Kesler. Given a choice at #10 i definitely take Virtanen.

Yah...TSN used to air a special show on the combine, in previous years. Lost the rights maybe..or could be scheduled for this Friday? There's a site publishing the annual NHL Combine Testing Results,... but it hasn't been updated, yet. New-testing methods were introduced this year, but the results & stuff just aren't beng floated-around as much, this time. I don't get that. Maybe they're holding back things, to air on the eve of the 2014 Draft & dont want to steal their own thunder now. I dunno? :sadno:

I think its a good idea. Gives us fans something to do when our teams arent in the conference finals. Gives us more to speculate on. :)

@IanEsplen

Virtanen and Fleury had good interviews with #Canucks

Fans, be ready, these guys are two options at 6. They won't be trading down for them.

I dont believe that is what the Canucks said. I think he is trying to promote gossip. :lol:

There is no way I believe they wont consider Ritchie, Ehlers , even if they are turned off Nylander.

It is Hockeybuzz, but take it for what it's worth.

Virtanen and Fleury did have long interviews with the Canucks.

No i wrote it wrong. The guy is trying to promote it. Not you. I edited it.

The canucks also interviewed Ehlers and Nylander. No word on Ritchie yet.

I try to be open minded but if they are telling me the ONLY two guys they want at #6 are Virtanen and Fleury then I would be very surprised.

They should have also interviewed Dal Colle and Draisaitl in case one of them falls. What are they going to do ? NOT draft Dal Colle?

@IanEsplen

Virtanen and Fleury had good interviews with #Canucks

Fans, be ready, these guys are two options at 6. They won't be trading down for them.

I don't believe this garbage, how would he know. If were getting these guys especially Fleury were trading down or getting another pick with the 6th.

Very interesting. I am not too sure about the accuracy of his size. Eliteprospects says he is 6'4" 205 and it says his twin brother is 5'10" 174 that seems kind of funny if true.

The 6'4" 205lbs for Sanheim is correct, as far as I am concerned.

Sanheim participated at the U18s and under iihf, they have to take measurements prior to the tournament. That measurement matches what the iihf released.

I wouldn't consider Fabbri at 6th, but if we acquire that 10th overall from Anaheim i would definitely consider him. Not saying i'd pick him, but he definitely deserves some consideration at that spot. I'd say he's the dark horse of this draft. Wouldn't be surprised if he went top10, just because of that strong playoff performance. He's not THAT small, 5'10 and still growing. His skating is not a weakness. Yes Guelph had a great team, but he was still their 3rd best scorer, and their 2nd best goalscorer in the regular season. He scored the 2nd most goals of all players in the playoffs, even though he played 4 games less than most Guelph players. Barclay Goodrow had 1 goal more than Fabbri, and he played 22 games compared to Fabbri's 16 games. On top of that, he was named the OHL's playoff MVP. He went on and had a great Memorial Cup run with Guelph, 6 points in 4 games. Rychel was the only player on Guelph that had more points than him.

He comes to play in big games. If we get the 10th overall somehow id take him if Ehlers, Virtanen and Fleury are gone at that point.

Archived