The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gripe on Google Hangouts

Mainly Mattias

So I decided to retire my phone and get a new phone. The problem is that Google Hangouts is pre-installed on the bloody thing and I hate it. It doesn't show you the away online status of your contacts, you can't alter who shows up on your shortlisting, there's no option to unhide a contact and it has highjacked my SMS (texting) capability!

Looking through Google and various forums, it doesn't look like Google is planning on changing Hangout issues either.

People I know have uninstalled Hangouts. I haven't quite gone to that extreme but I would like to go back to Google Talk. All that I've read is that Talk won't install on kit kat.

Has anyone found a way to:

1. get the regular android texting capability back from Hangouts? and
  2. install Google Talk onto kit kat?

My phone auto installed Hangouts about 2 months ago after I had held off for so very long.

I hate it, and I do mean hate it. It bogs down and you can write messages that don't actually arrive to the person you're sending them to.

Honestly, google has really messed the bed with this program and I miss Talk.

My phone auto installed Hangouts about 2 months ago after I had held off for so very long.

I hate it, and I do mean hate it. It bogs down and you can write messages that don't actually arrive to the person you're sending them to.

Honestly, google has really messed the bed with this program and I miss Talk.

i upgraded to hangouts thinking it would be good i uninstalled the update the next day and got back to the stock Talk app installed on the phone.

As for the OP i would say disable hangouts and see if you can find an original Talk app on a torrent site or google googletalk.apk

but install at your own risk since they will not be downloaded directly from the app store.

Just see if you can find a good version and hope it works then never update the app.

I am not an expert and never had to do this with talk as my phone came with it so i can not guarantee it would even work on your phone or even install with hangouts already there

Guest Gumballthechewy

Step One: Put your phone into your toilet bowl.

Step Two: Close the lid.

Step Three: Flush the toilet.

Step Four: Cut all ties to friends and family.

Step Five: Move up a mountain.

Problem solved.

i was pretty sure talk turned into hangouts and there is no more talk

Yep.

It's Google trying to centralize their products more and control the profits of it, which is why they're also canning XMPP in a few months rendering pretty much all current 3rd party apps like Voice or Talkatone or GrooveIP useless.

Archived