The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks are in a huge mess...which they created themselves b/c of ownership!

TheRussianRocket.

,,,This doesn't all fall down on MG as ownership has first say and it's because of the owners we are in this mess too. When we could've traded Lu and kept Schneider, they didn't want to take back a % of Lu's salary which led to teams not wanting him and Schneider being dealt. Now, after the Heritage game, they probably said we don't want to go through this again and gave the green light for Lu to be traded where they were willing to take back cap...why couldn't they do this last year and kept Schneider?

Even if the Canucks were willing to take back a % of Lu's salary, this deal wouldn't have been done last year with Florida. According to Bob Mackenzie of TSN, the Panthers were in complete disarray with their finances at the trade deadline last year, and it wasn't until the brand new Florida owner Viola took over last fall (with deep pockets) that they were in a position where they could take on Lu's contract. There were not any other dance partners last year.

Even if the Canucks were willing to take back a % of Lu's salary, this deal wouldn't have been done last year with Florida. According to Bob Mackenzie of TSN, the Panthers were in complete disarray with their finances at the trade deadline last year, and it wasn't until the brand new Florida owner Viola took over last fall (with deep pockets) that they were in a position where they could take on Lu's contract. There were not any other dance partners last year.

Careful, you are in danger of making way too much sense.

The biggest mistake Gillis has on his resume is not being able to foresee the ramifications of the new CBA when he signed Lu to the lifetime deal in 2009/2010. Christ, nobody could.

Really? Nobody foresaw that a 12 year contract was a bad idea? Because I seem to remember quite a number of people being critical of it even before the new CBA came in. You didn't have to be a rocket scientist to forsee that one.

Add that to the number of times he has overpaid for players, and the fact he has given out NTC's like Hallowe'en candy. He has ruined this team.

Really? Nobody foresaw that a 12 year contract was a bad idea? Because I seem to remember quite a number of people being critical of it even before the new CBA came in. You didn't have to be a rocket scientist to forsee that one.

Add that to the number of times he has overpaid for players, and the fact he has given out NTC's like Hallowe'en candy. He has ruined this team.

I don't buy that first part for a second. The ONLY bad thing about the Lu contract isn't the duration, it's the cap recapture. Without that he could just retire whenever and that would be that. I will admit that the age of 42 is too long to sign a goalie to if everyone else agrees that at the time retaining one of the best goalies in the game for 5 mil during a cap era when he would have demanded 7+ otherwise was a fair trade.

NTC's bring down the cap, and make trades difficult, but not impossible. I hope that tomorrow the 2 of us can be celebrating a generous return for a few of our talented assets that will prove my point, but it is too early to tell.

I don't buy that first part for a second. The ONLY bad thing about the Lu contract isn't the duration, it's the cap recapture. Without that he could just retire whenever and that would be that. I will admit that the age of 42 is too long to sign a goalie to if everyone else agrees that at the time retaining one of the best goalies in the game for 5 mil during a cap era when he would have demanded 7+ otherwise was a fair trade.

NTC's bring down the cap, and make trades difficult, but not impossible. I hope that tomorrow the 2 of us can be celebrating a generous return for a few of our talented assets that will prove my point, but it is too early to tell.

Don't be too excited lol..expect nothing until there's actually something.

Is it just me, or does Schneider and Luongo for Horvat, Markstrom, and Matthias not even seem that bad at all?

But have you seen the team perform lately? What, is Schneider going to get us to score?

Here's a question: How exactly could it get worse? When losing for us right now is actually winning, the only way it 'gets worse' is if we hang on to all of our guys and still pretend we're contenders. And it appears we're not doing that.

The Luongo trade is just step one anyway. Maybe save your reviews until the rest of the moves are completed.

A lot of folks on here are butt hurt about Schneider, or Luongo , or just hate Gillis in general. So they take every opportunity to rip apart whatever it is.

Horvat for Schneider is a good deal. New Jersey wins for 4 years, then we win for the rest of the time. Unfortunately for them, their team sucks and therefore there is really no point to having Schneider at 28 playing there. If he was 20 then he could wait it out.

Fortunately for us, we have Eddie lack who has stepped right into Schneiders shoes and is an incredible 4th in GAA and 6th in sv% . Not bad for a guy who had never played an NHL before.

After the CBA changed, the idea of Florida giving us Markstrom straight up for Luongo would have been visciously rebuked by the Panthers. Many of them didnt want Luongo and his massive contract for free.

Now we get Markstrom and Matthias ??? How is that a bad trade? Its excellent value for a 35 year old average goalie with 8 more years of an anchor contract.

This deal has (sort of) rebuilt my faith in Gillis. If he pulls off a good or great Kesler trade, all will be forgiven for his many gaffes from 2011 to 2013

Per reports by SNET, TEAM1040, and other numerous reliable sources.

@TEAM1040:

RT @RobRossi_Trib: #pens felt good about Kesler Tuesday. Started Wednesday not confident that #Canucks ownership would let the trade happen.

@RobRossi_Trib:

Told pens felt had substantial offer to Canucks. Feel ownership nixed plans for trade that would have sent Kesler to Pit

@TEAM1040:

RT @DarrenDreger: Told it was a feeding frenzy for Kesler. A few great offers made. At one point last week as many as 6 teams legit in play.

...what a hot mess. Teams picked up the price big time and MG had offers but greedy owners denied it to happen. Glad to know Aquilini is more concerned about money and revenue than creating a better teams. Lu situation 2.0...wow

For those of you blaming and pointing the finger at MG, you have the wrong person(s). The owners are calling the shots and dictating what can be done and what can't. MG is simply a puppet and can't do what's best for the team due to greedy owners!

Per reports by SNET, TEAM1040, and other numerous reliable sources.

...what a hot mess. Teams picked up the price big time and MG had offers but greedy owners denied it to happen. Glad to know Aquilini is more concerned about money and revenue than creating a better teams. Lu situation 2.0...wow

For those of you blaming and pointing the finger at MG, you have the wrong person(s). The owners are calling the shots and dictating what can be done and what can't. MG is simply a puppet and can't do what's best for the team due to greedy owners!

So the PENS say it was substantial but other sources say it was 2/3 of player pick prospect. Yeah that's substantial let's trade arguably our best player for a shi--y offer from the Pens.

This ownership is worst in history of this organization and surpasses (Mccaw) which is saying alot.

Not the first time they've interferred as they pressured Nonis in a deal for Brad Richards, which he refused to do and was one of the things that led to his firing.

There are probably other instances of ownership interferring that aren't public or we know about.

Kesler could turn into Luongo 2.0

Ownership only cares about making the playoffs for extra revenue. Plain and simple. Old Man Acquillini loves counting money.

All owners in any business like to make profits, but here's what doesn't quite compute with that in this case though:

If the owners were truly as 'greedy for playoff revenue' as what had been put out there, they'd have forced Gillis to be a BUYER this deadline to help their desperate playoff drive.

I think the simple bottom line here is that the offer for Kesler was god-awful. And if that was done, the CDC necromongers would be crapping all over that instead.

Archived