The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

F1 2014 Season Underway !

Mr.DirtyDangles

I remember Rouse vaguely, Will Hoy was another I used to like. Watching it does bring back all the memories :)

Hoy is the reason why I own an E30 lol He tossed that thing around like a rag doll and I cant believe I forgot Matt Neal ? HE was the privateer that was always in the hunt for top spot.

tc7.jpg

Ok the yellow 49 car is insane ! You can clearly see how much more power he has compared to the other cars .

Not necessarily power, tire compound, stagger (the right rear is a LOT bigger than the left on those things) tread pattern (they burn or cut new grooves in the tires, basically customizing the tire) weight distribution, wing angle and placement (the driver can move that wing forward and backward changing the handling of the car), and the track changes a lot over the course of the race, 49 hit the magic combo and the track came to him in the later stages (remember, no pit stops so you have to try to guess what the track will be like at the end and set it up so you are fast at the end instead of starting fast and fading as your tires wear out or the track changes.

Sprint_Car_Stagger_Plymouth_Dirt_Track_W

Dangles these are some great pics you're bringing out. I feel like I'm 8 years old again! Love that video too, so much more informative than Nico Rosberg on the radio...

I think I have a few thousand race car photos I constantly search for the cars and racers i was into around that age ; D It is weird the older I get the more car crazy I become ?

tumblr_l1ipwgAZcH1qaqnz9o1_1280.jpg?AWSA

Not necessarily power, tire compound, stagger (the right rear is a LOT bigger than the left on those things) tread pattern (they burn or cut new grooves in the tires, basically customizing the tire) weight distribution, wing angle and placement (the driver can move that wing forward and backward changing the handling of the car), and the track changes a lot over the course of the race, 49 hit the magic combo and the track came to him in the later stages (remember, no pit stops so you have to try to guess what the track will be like at the end and set it up so you are fast at the end instead of starting fast and fading as your tires wear out or the track changes.

Sprint_Car_Stagger_Plymouth_Dirt_Track_W

For sure Wolf ! It has always been about dialing it in for the specific track you are at. I had no idea the inside tire was that much bigger ? Makes complete sense though. Track conditions must almost get faster by the last heat ? Or is it the other way around ? Seems like some nice clean grooves would be laid out for the later heats.

For sure Wolf ! It has always been about dialing it in for the specific track you are at. I had no idea the inside tire was that much bigger ? Makes complete sense though. Track conditions must almost get faster by the last heat ? Or is it the other way around ? Seems like some nice clean grooves would be laid out for the later heats.

Track tends to get slicker later in the show as it dries (wet clay is a lot stickier than dry), but they often grade, pack and water the track before the A main, with dirt tracks the cars tend to throw dirt towards the outside and build a berm or "cushion" that they can plant the rear tire against allowing higher speed on the outside groove.

wymynkO.jpg

This is my hometown track from when I was a kid (close in 1994). The driver Joel Cryderman is my cousin, and Tom Nesbitt is the only Canadian in the Dirt Late Model hall of Fame in Kentucky

http://members.shaw.ca/UncleKevin/Riverview.htm

I suggest checking your local or regional dirt track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA7yyxtB3xQ

I love dirt track racing. The speed that sprint cars produce on tiny dirt tracks is insane. The scream of the V8's with straight headers isn't half bad either :)

Edit: I used to live 10 minutes from Williams Grove Raceway, a place that the World of Outlaws visits twice per season. Half of the time, the Pennsylvania racers (know as the Pennsylvania Gang) beat the World of Outlaws regulars.

Track tends to get slicker later in the show as it dries (wet clay is a lot stickier than dry), but they often grade, pack and water the track before the A main, with dirt tracks the cars tend to throw dirt towards the outside and build a berm or "cushion" that they can plant the rear tire against allowing higher speed on the outside groove.

wymynkO.jpg

This is my hometown track from when I was a kid (close in 1994). The driver Joel Cryderman is my cousin, and Tom Nesbitt is the only Canadian in the Dirt Late Model hall of Fame in Kentucky

http://members.shaw.ca/UncleKevin/Riverview.htm

Gasoline in your veins lol. So the A main is a track that is kind of a crap shoot. It was ravaged all night up to that point, it has a quick rub down and on to the main event. I had no idea the berm was that big ? After seeing the rear right in the other pic It is all coming together.

This is some serious "Balls Out" racing. The drop down passes from the outside edge to the inside corner is seriously mind blowing.

Looks like the powers-that-be read my post about the last race/ Quite how we can go from dull as dishwater in Malaysia to one of the most exciting races I've ever seen, is beyond me.

Kudos to so many drivers, it was absolutely insane. The commentators here in the UK must have gotten a shock, proper old school racing and so many overtaking manoeuvres! Murray Walker would have been in his element.

Archived