The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Wild

MattJVD

I think Jensen's "demotion" has a lot to do with being a rookie in a game where Torts rode the veteran guys as the game wore on. The Canucks weren't dominating as the score would suggest.

Booth also started the game on the 4th and he scored 2 goals....one player from the top 9 had to be demoted in order to reward Booth and it was Jensen.

The Wild looked awful tonight.

It's possible they were looking past the Canucks as they're on the road starting tomorrow and playing the Blues, Coyotes, Kings and Black Hawks.

But the Nucks did what they had to do.

If they were looking forward to the Blues they wouldnt of ruined both their goalies confidences

Well said.

The only thing I could pick out on Jensen was when he was bringing the puck out of our zone early in the 3rd and he just let himself be taken off the puck. He had no play but instead of getting rid of it he just skated in to the Wild player then didn't battle for the puck very hard. That might have been enough in a then 3-1 must win game to keep him off the ice for a bit.

The only thing I could pick out on Jensen was when he was bringing the puck out of our zone early in the 3rd and he just let himself be taken off the puck. He had no play but instead of getting rid of it he just skated in to the Wild player then didn't battle for the puck very hard. That might have been enough in a then 3-1 must win game to keep him off the ice for a bit.

yup i remember that. jensen is a high risk, high reward type of player and at that point in the game the canucks didnt need any of that.

Booth really found his shot tonight, great seeing him get 2.

Daniel Sedin looked so relieved lol!, the rest of the game was just gravy. Total breath of fresh air, the big names answered, the defense was there, Lack was great. Loved Edler's goal-line save...

Anyone else going to sleep better tonight?

I thought Burrows sold it. You could see the delayed reaction grab the head like it hurt.

As someone who has spent the year trying to cut Burrows as much slack as possible for what can only be desribed as a catastrophic year (where he banked something like $8 MILLION which of course makes it look even worse) I have to grudgingly agree with you. Based solely on my memory from the Sportsnet broadcast the replay that they showed right after the hit from Burrows' side of the rink, in slo mo, looked like after he does the barrel roll he ends up on his backside and, for just a moment, looks like he's pleading for a call and then... he rolls over and suddenly plays dead. If anybody "taped" the SN broadcast I would appreciate another look at this since every available source out there doesn't go long enough to show his reaction to the hit.

As someone who has spent the year trying to cut Burrows as much slack as possible for what can only be desribed as a catastrophic year (where he banked something like $8 MILLION which of course makes it look even worse) I have to grudgingly agree with you. Based solely on my memory from the Sportsnet broadcast the replay that they showed right after the hit from Burrows' side of the rink, in slo mo, looked like after he does the barrel roll he ends up on his backside and, for just a moment, looks like he's pleading for a call and then... he rolls over and suddenly plays dead. If anybody "taped" the SN broadcast I would appreciate another look at this since every available source out there doesn't go long enough to show his reaction to the hit.

That's exactly what I saw. It definitely was a hit that could be seen as predatory, the contact looked like chest/shoulder/head all simultaneously. But it was when Burrows looked up to see if the penalty was being called, then sort of awkwardly grabbed his head and played dead that I think stopped it from being a 5 minute major. He was fine. A real hit to the head with Burrows in that position, he's probably lights out, or drunk on his feet, and you could see by the fact that he skated off ok, and then returned, that the hit wasn't as bad as it looked. Nino might still get a game or two for the attempt, because it could have been worse.

That's exactly what I saw. It definitely was a hit that could be seen as predatory, the contact looked like chest/shoulder/head all simultaneously. But it was when Burrows looked up to see if the penalty was being called, then sort of awkwardly grabbed his head and played dead that I think stopped it from being a 5 minute major. He was fine. A real hit to the head with Burrows in that position, he's probably lights out, or drunk on his feet, and you could see by the fact that he skated off ok, and then returned, that the hit wasn't as bad as it looked. Nino might still get a game or two for the attempt, because it could have been worse.

The REAL problem here is that every ref in the league (all of whom hate him already) will see his reaction to the hit and say to themselves "what a diver". This can't help him get calls in the future. The funny thing is that I agree with Deb that he has toned down this sort of stuff considerably since the Cup run; it's almost as if he has forgotten how to embellish properly. You get hit then you play dead and THEN you appeal for a call, not the other way around. I'm betting that the powers that be saw this and then decided that there would be no extra discipline...

Archived