The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Team 1040 Interview

Cold Hard Truth

How long have the Islanders and Panthers been tanking?

For every Pittsburgh - and with all due respect to them, they drafted Whitney 5th overall, Fleury 1st overall, Malkin 2nd overall, Crosby 1st overall and Staal 2nd overall in 5 consecutive season -, 4 of them drafting consecutively in the top 2 - and yet for all the praise Shero gets, they haven't exactly contended perenially have they? Yeah, they peaked and got a Cup, and since then, propped up by a Crosby and a Malkin and they still endure years of playoff failures. For every Pittsburgh there is an Edmonton, a Florida, a NYI, etc.

And how many years is it now that the Redwings have made the playoffs - and are about to again - after having serious injuries to their core this year? Yet there they are, with one 19th overall and one 20th overall pick since 1991, having won the Calder Cup last year - yes, defeating the prospect pools of the tanker teams - and with a crop of rookies that have propelled them into a playoff spot again this year despite losing Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Helm, Weiss....

Nyquist a 4th rounder, Tatar a 2nd rounder, Sheahan a 21st overall, Dekeyser an undrafted UFA, Jurco a 2nd rounder....

I would prefer Gillis stick with the model that works to stay competitive - I think he has the right model in the Redwings to attempt to emulate. Easier said than done when that organization is as established as it is, with the system and personnel in place that it's had for decades, nevertheless, I think Gillis has made significant strides in that direction.

I personally prefer to leave the 'strategy' of dwelling in the NHL's basement for a half decade to those teams above.

Surely the Canucks have the resources, just as Chicago/Pittsburgh/LA had, to be an elite franchise compared to NYI and Florida.

That being said, with new ownership I fully expect Florida to flourish now.

If we somehow become Detroit i could live with that too. Likely though we'll be continuing to subsidize southern expansion while making sure the winning-capable elite talent flows south.

Awwwww poor Mikey didn't get to run the club his way .... it's all everyone's fault but his own. Stupid owners interfere and dumb players didn't play good. We were one injury away from the cup.

If we get some decent skill on this team shot blocking won't be a problem as we won't be constantly chasing the pucks and back on our heels. People get carried away about this shot blocking thing. That's what happens when you have little skill and teams take the piss to you on a regular basis. Your players get hurt because effort is the only tool they have to stay in the games. Get some skill and we won't have to block shots when our players have the puck on their sticks.

It's not just about skill. Positioning of your players the way Tortz does eliminates quick transition and puts Henrik in front of the net battling forwards for territory. Using your best offensive players as shot blockers and penalty killers when that is not their strength is bad asset management the same accountability you ask from a GM should be applied to a Coach.

Surely the Canucks have the resources, just as Chicago/Pittsburgh/LA had, to be an elite franchise compared to NYI and Florida.

That being said, with new ownership I fully expect Florida to flourish now.

If we somehow become Detroit i could live with that too. Likely though we'll be continuing to subsidize southern expansion while making sure the winning-capable elite talent flows south.

As horrible as the season has been with a team that doesn't appear to be on the same page, an insane rash of key injuries, a gruelling, compacted Olympic travel and play schedule, a whole whack of some of the truly bizarrest puck luck the team has seen, a compacted cap drop roster, (and of course the overarching NHL administrative and officiating conspiracies ::D ), the Canucks nevertheless managed to remain a top 10 puck possession team. So I'm not prepared to concede that the team 'can no longer play puck possession hockey', and the possibility of them improving with added youth, cap space to work with, and hopefully some stiffened tactical cohesiveness remains there imo. I am nowhere near convinced that they should abandon the attempt to imitate the Detroit approach.

As horrible as the season has been with a team that doesn't appear to be on the same page, an insane rash of key injuries, a gruelling, compacted Olympic travel and play schedule, a whole whack of some of the truly bizarrest puck luck the team has seen, a compacted cap drop roster, (and of course the overarching NHL administrative and officiating conspiracies ::D ), the Canucks nevertheless managed to remain a top 10 puck possession team. So I'm not prepared to concede that the team 'can no longer play puck possession hockey', and the possibility of them improving with added youth, cap space to work with, and hopefully some stiffened tactical cohesiveness remains there imo. I am nowhere near convinced that they should abandon the attempt to imitate the Detroit approach.

I agree.

No doubt some young legs and a couple free agents could propel us back in the mix.

Hard not to agree with the notion that we need a couple offensive bus drivers not named Sedin really soon though.

My biggest off season wish is for cohesion between the chain of command.

Dumping players for a tank is a rediculous notion

I agree.

No doubt some young legs and a couple free agents could propel us back in the mix.

Hard not to agree with the notion that we need a couple offensive bus drivers not named Sedin really soon though.

My biggest off season wish is for cohesion between the chain of command.

Dumping players for a tank is a rediculous notion

Yup, and finally with a rising cap, youth on ELC's ready to contribute and some clearing of "dead weight" Gillis will have the ability to actually make some moves. I'm actually quite excited about the next couple years.

Some people see kool aid, others see a guy not holding his cards so close to his chest after a down season. Is your glass half full or half empty?

Good question...optimist, pessimist or realist. I just know that for the past 6 years, Gillis has had a plan. This last year was a disaster of epic proportions but the issues leading to it were identified by all (including Gillis) 3 years ago. Last year the plan was for a re-set...that didn't work so well. This year it is a return to what worked 6 years ago, in other words, the style of play that Gillis decided to change after the loss to Boston.

Aside from reacting to what others do and promising change when this team continues to underperform, I simply do not have confidence Gillis really know what to do to right this ship. i.e. if he wanted to get faster and be the team he now describes, why did he sign the slow and methodical Sedins to new deals? Why tie up the current D-core with NTCs when none of them are fast or good puck movers?

If you want balance in your approach, why sign a coach who is known for relying heavily on a small group of players while half your team is pinned to the bench most nights?

Maybe I'm a pessimist but watching Gillis bumble along, whether he's being honest or evasive, has led me to this.

Good question...optimist, pessimist or realist. I just know that for the past 6 years, Gillis has had a plan. This last year was a disaster of epic proportions but the issues leading to it were identified by all (including Gillis) 3 years ago. Last year the plan was for a re-set...that didn't work so well. This year it is a return to what worked 6 years ago, in other words, the style of play that Gillis decided to change after the loss to Boston.

Aside from reacting to what others do and promising change when this team continues to underperform, I simply do not have confidence Gillis really know what to do to right this ship. i.e. if he wanted to get faster and be the team he now describes, why did he sign the slow and methodical Sedins to new deals? Why tie up the current D-core with NTCs when none of them are fast or good puck movers?

If you want balance in your approach, why sign a coach who is known for relying heavily on a small group of players while half your team is pinned to the bench most nights?

Maybe I'm a pessimist but watching Gillis bumble along, whether he's being honest or evasive, has led me to this.

You said it yourself, they planned for this being a transition/crap shoot of a season. It was always going to go one of two ways and we all know which way it went. People are viewing this season as an "epic disaster" when really it was the worst case scenario of what was always going to occur. It was always going to be a mediocre transition year. It could have gone ok, with less injuries and some playoff games or it could go the way it did. Either way it was always going to be a tough transition year of moving towards youth on top of a shrinking cap/new cba. People expecting a return to a dominate, PC winning team in that scenario, THIS year were being shortsighted or unrealistic.

The retool/reset has only begun and continues this summer. Deeming it a failure already is highly premature.

As Oldnews (I believe) already covered, the expected style of play (by Gillis anyway) has never changed. He merely recognized that we needed to also add to that skill some size, grit and youth. He was and continues to be right and nothing as far as I can tell has changed on that front. Boston or otherwise.

It's looking like the coach either wasn't fully Gillis' decision and/or that Torts has simply not been able to as yet adjust to the GM's vision for the team...we wait and see what the outcome of that is...

Detroit would never let their veteran stars walk though, so if they let Kesler walk (nevermind Luongo, Ehrhoff, Malhotra, etc.), then you might as well shut the door on Detroit emulation.

However, we've yet to see "Gillis' team" hit the ice. We won't either until the Sedins leave, and by then we'll likely be needing new franchise players.

Hey, there's a pretty good draft coming up.

It's not just about skill. Positioning of your players the way Tortz does eliminates quick transition and puts Henrik in front of the net battling forwards for territory. Using your best offensive players as shot blockers and penalty killers when that is not their strength is bad asset management the same accountability you ask from a GM should be applied to a Coach.

So you don't want hockey players blocking shots? It's not like there is a postion shot-blocker and Torts keeps playing the Sedins there instead of Higgins.

You're an NHL player and your too much of a feline to block shots? Well that tells me a lot about this group if that's the case. When the hell did we become so weak? We'd be the only team where certain players are granted non shot-blocking status. This is pro hockey, not tiddily winks.

It sounds so funny. I don't think I've ever seen a NHL team where their downfall is blocking shots. If that's the case we might as well give up now.

You said it yourself, they planned for this being a transition/crap shoot of a season. It was always going to go one of two ways and we all know which way it went. People are viewing this season as an "epic disaster" when really it was the worst case scenario of what was always going to occur. It was always going to be a mediocre transition year. It could have gone ok, with less injuries and some playoff games or it could go the way it did. Either way it was always going to be a tough transition year of moving towards youth on top of a shrinking cap/new cba. People expecting a return to a dominate, PC winning team in that scenario, THIS year were being shortsighted or unrealistic.

The retool/reset has only begun and continues this summer. Deeming it a failure already is highly premature.

As Oldnews (I believe) already covered, the expected style of play (by Gillis anyway) has never changed. He merely recognized that we needed to also add to that skill some size, grit and youth. He was and continues to be right and nothing as far as I can tell has changed on that front. Boston or otherwise.

It's looking like the coach either wasn't fully Gillis' decision and/or that Torts has simply not been able to as yet adjust to the GM's vision for the team...we wait and see what the outcome of that is...

I didn't expect a competing team this year largely because the reasons for the downward trend from the previous 2 years hadn't been addressed. I was excited by the idea of the young guys coming in and changing the dynamics of the team but other than a few short spans, Torts pretty much played the same core that has been in decline and who obviously couldn't handle the load. Even with all the injuries to key players, Torts basically dealt with it by over-playing the core players even more. Very disappointing year and not because of their missing the playoffs.

re-tooling is fine but after 3 consecutive years of declining play and the contracts Gillis has signed limiting his ability to move key and supporting-cast players, wanting to re-tool and knowing you need to are a lot different than being able to.

With the state of this team and its contracts, it is more likely to be in a state of mediocrity and re-build over the next 4 years while the core plays their way into retirement.

So you don't want hockey players blocking shots? It's not like there is a postion shot-blocker and Torts keeps playing the Sedins there instead of Higgins.

You're an NHL player and your too much of a feline to block shots? Well that tells me a lot about this group if that's the case. When the hell did we become so weak? We'd be the only team where certain players are granted non shot-blocking status. This is pro hockey, not tiddily winks.

I think you missed his point. He's not saying the twins shouldn't block shots but that players more suited to playing defense should primarily play a strong two way game and be the players put out for those situations. One's who are more suited to playing offense, should play more offense. Notice that does not preclude them from playing defense as well (or blocking shots) when the game play dictates it?

I didn't expect a competing team this year largely because the reasons for the downward trend from the previous 2 years hadn't been addressed. I was excited by the idea of the young guys coming in and changing the dynamics of the team but other than a few short spans, Torts pretty much played the same core that has been in decline and who obviously couldn't handle the load. Even with all the injuries to key players, Torts basically dealt with it by over-playing the core players even more. Very disappointing year and not because of their missing the playoffs.

re-tooling is fine but after 3 consecutive years of declining play and the contracts Gillis has signed limiting his ability to move key and supporting-cast players, wanting to re-tool and knowing you need to are a lot different than being able to.

With the state of this team and its contracts, it is more likely to be in a state of mediocrity and re-build over the next 4 years while the core plays their way into retirement.

Is it 2 or 3 years?

More youth didn't play because they weren't ready. If you want to blame anyone for that, blame the previous regime who left us with next to nothing in prospects who could have been contributing by now.

-We went to game 7 of the final in 2011. Drastically altering that lineup would have been foolish.

-2012 won our second consecutive PC. If it hadn't been for Keith's elbow and Kesler being gimped we would have arguably gone quite deep again. Again, changing a PC winnning lineup...not such a spectacular idea.

-2013 Lockout/CBA, uncertainty, shortened season, minimal trades league wide and we still had a very good team but with more question marks largely due to health. By the end of the year it's clear more drastic changes need to be made.

-2014 retool begins with Schneider trade but any major additions will have to wait until following season due to cap decrease.

Where in there do you see opportunity for vast, sweeping changes and high dollar top 6 forward acquisitions? The only two years where major change would have been deemed welcome or required were the last two seasons which were basically clamped down because of the new CBA. And even then 2013 was debatable.

MG made as much change as he could by dumping salary given that context. Now that he has a rising cap, has cleared a ton of space and has youth he drafted ready to contribute on ELC's he able to actually make moves. I realize in this day and age everyone wants immediate satisfaction but drastically changing the makeup of a multi million dollar hockey team does not occur over night even without lockouts and shrinking caps.

Is it 2 or 3 years?

More youth didn't play because they weren't ready. If you want to blame anyone for that, blame the previous regime who left us with next to nothing in prospects who could have been contributing by now.

-We went to game 7 of the final in 2011. Drastically altering that lineup would have been foolish.

-2012 won our second consecutive PC. If it hadn't been for Keith's elbow and Kesler being gimped we would have arguably gone quite deep again. Again, changing a PC winnning lineup...not such a spectacular idea.

-2013 Lockout/CBA, uncertainty, shortened season, minimal trades league wide and we still had a very good team but with more question marks largely due to health. By the end of the year it's clear more drastic changes need to be made.

-2014 retool begins with Schneider trade but any major additions will have to wait until following season due to cap decrease.

Where in there do you see opportunity for vast, sweeping changes and high dollar top 6 forward acquisitions? The only two years where major change would have been deemed welcome or required were the last two seasons which were basically clamped down because of the new CBA. And even then 2013 was debatable.

MG made as much change as he could by dumping salary given that context. Now that he has a rising cap, has cleared a ton of space and has youth he drafted ready to contribute on ELC's he able to actually make moves. I realize in this day and age everyone wants immediate satisfaction but drastically changing the makeup of a multi million dollar hockey team does not occur over night even without lockouts and shrinking caps.

What the hell are you talking about..?!?!...The Canucks have $11m of cap space with 18 players signed. RFA's alone are going to eat up anywhere from $6-$8m depending on who they decide to re-sign. Even with a Booth buyout Gillis will have somewhere around $7-$10m to sign 3-4 players...hardly what anyone should consider "a ton of cap space"

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/2014/04/03/canucks-gm-mike-gillis-on-team1040

Gillis talking points in interview

-fans right to be pissed

-none of it sits well with Gillis

-his responsibility to get the team back on top

-Called out Toronto media for always carving up the Canucks

-Wants fans to support Lack.

-Has faith in Markstrom, working hard with Rollie,

-Not sure he will be back next year.

-Wants to play hi tempo hockey,high transition, force other teams into mistakes, puck possession etc...

-Ultimatum to Torts - change it up

-Pretty much called out ownership for trying to meddle

-Says hes sick of chasing a moving target

-Gillis spoke candidly about the disappointing season and about moving away from core principles on how he wants the team to perform.

-He also was unsure whether he or John Tortorella would be returning next season.

-Gillis feels confident Zack Kassian and Chris Tanev will re-sign with the team, both are FA's this summer while he will have a conversation with Ryan Kesler about his future- Gillis said if people don't want to get on the same page as him with the style of play he wants team to have, they won't be here

more from Elvis 15....(good job buddy)

Notes:

-Canucks for Kids telethon well received, close to $3M in net proceeds, thanks to fans and honoured to be in the position to help like that

-Enjoys working for the Canucks, hard on himself and knows we have passionate fans. Easy to kick people when they're down, but his responsibility to get back on top.

-Torts is a proven winner and the season has been difficult with all that's happened they didn't anticipate. Torts (like Gillis) will have a thorough evaluation, but running team is Gillis' responsibility and they chased moving goalposts and got away from core principles for how he wants team to play and the tempo they want to play with.

-Organization has deviated from things that can make them successful and he wants to get back to that.

-Will Torts be back? Gillis isn't sure if he'll be back, he recognizes everyone is open to evaluation.

-Has a clear vision though they have to execute on to compete in West, but fair to say all will be under scrutiny which is deserved.

-Entire team's performance has dropped off, unlikely it's attributable to one thing. Combination of things need to be addressed to build the style of play and team they want.-Torts is accomplished, people thought AV couldn't change years ago, any coach can coach the team they have if the players are committed. Problems are far reaching and if people don't want to get onside then they won't be here.

-Ongoing process for when he'll sit with ownership, thorough review at the end of the season for where they're at as an organization, team and financially.

-Now has cap space where didn't before and will go through a plan for the owner's to choose direction.

Gillis never said anything I heard about calling out ownership and meddling.

I think you missed his point. He's not saying the twins shouldn't block shots but that players more suited to playing defense should primarily play a strong two way game and be the players put out for those situations. One's who are more suited to playing offense, should play more offense. Notice that does not preclude them from playing defense as well (or blocking shots) when the game play dictates it?

Yeah I realized I kind of missed the point. I do agree that perhaps players aren't being put into postions of strength. However, after everything that's transgressed, how we get here today and blame Torts doesn't make sense. It's not like he changed his style or anything. Didn't he say from day 1 that everyone is a shot blocker? It seemed to me that when Torts got here he didn't know the team at all being on the other side of the country, he said so himself. I think he expected us to be a really good team and was shocked to find out how lacking we were.

I expect that if any player on the ice is inbetween the shooter and net in a dangerous postion they should block the shot. I really believe with better players we'll see all these excuses dissapear.

What the hell are you talking about..?!?!...The Canucks have $11m of cap space with 18 players signed. RFA's alone are going to eat up anywhere from $6-$8m depending on who they decide to re-sign. Even with a Booth buyout Gillis will have somewhere around $7-$10m to sign 3-4 players...hardly what anyone should consider "a ton of cap space"

Kassian and Tanev will cost us probably at least $4m maybe $5m. I guess MG may be able to squeeze one UFA forward (I hope) for $5m and another MG grinder (because he needs to sign at least one). Also Markstrom is up I think he needs a new contract or we need to sign a back up either way.

It sounds so funny. I don't think I've ever seen a NHL team where their downfall is blocking shots. If that's the case we might as well give up now.

It's the system or defensive positioning.

Tortz employs a tight gap down low coverage with center to net and wingers collapsing down. It's a solid positioning that many coaches employ but unless your players are faster skating with the puck than the back pressure your not gonna get away on any kind of transition.

The Sedin's are a disaster with this as there just too slow to brake away. Add to that all the defensive zone starts and a left handed pp defenseman and it's safe to say it's not working for more reasons than just age.

I wasn't even a big AV fan.....but he sure made use of his personnel. Tortz reacts to the game better but he needs to have an offensive mind or he will be obsolete.

That's assuming everyone returns, that Kesler doesn't get moved etc etc. Frankly I think Hansen gets traded and Santo re-signed so that's largely a wash, we'll see about Kesler. Most of those 3-4 spots can be filled by youth and/or are bottom 6 players (ie: "cheap"). We have lots of cap space.

Edit:

Just did a quick "what if" on cap geek and I see almost $9m in cap space with pretty basic moves AND retaining Kesler. I left Hansen on and Santorelli off as, like I said, they're basically a wash. If anything Santorelli likely saves us ~$500k.

That's plenty of space to add a UFA and/or acquire salary in a trade.

Yeah I realized I kind of missed the point. I do agree that perhaps players aren't being put into postions of strength. However, after everything that's transgressed, how we get here today and blame Torts doesn't make sense. It's not like he changed his style or anything. Didn't he say from day 1 that everyone is a shot blocker? It seemed to me that when Torts got here he didn't know the team at all being on the other side of the country, he said so himself. I think he expected us to be a really good team and was shocked to find out how lacking we were.

I expect that if any player on the ice is inbetween the shooter and net in a dangerous postion they should block the shot. I really believe with better players we'll see all these excuses dissapear.

Fair point.

A coach absolutely must understand and utilize his players to maximize results. I think MG's shot across the bow was exactly about this. Tortz will adapt or be replaced. If Gillis is the GM.

Having to say it in a interview says a lot about the communication between the two.

I wasn't even a big AV fan.....but he sure made use of his personnel. Tortz reacts to the game better but he needs to have an offensive mind or he will be obsolete.

This. It's too bad we can't somehow combine their strengths. Torts is better at making adjustments and bringing emotion, AV was a better tactician/planner.

Archived