The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

AA knows how to wheel and deal for injury prone superstar bats and washed up pitchers and just about... nothing else.

And yet here we are. Joey bats and EE have two of the best contracts in MLB; Stro, Hutch, Sanchez and Norris all strong; and Donaldson is on a cheap contract with years of control.

I admit AA has made some big mistakes, but he deserves credit when it's due. This off-season is not the time to be critiquing. He has made the best moves in the entire league so far, and it's not even close.

Or would you rather he gave a 100 mil to panda....

Blue Jays seeking replacement for CEO Paul Beeston.

After more than three decades, however, the organization is looking to move on.

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the club's owners are seeking a replacement for Beeston, the first person ever employed by the Blue Jays - and Dan Duquette, the executive vice-president of baseball operations for the Baltimore Orioles, is among the candidates that have been discussed.

http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/651347

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Update, Paul Beeston will be with the Blue Jays for 2015 now :picard:

Rogers Communications is actively seeking a replacement for Beeston, with Baltimore Orioles general manager Dan Duquette and former Chicago White Sox GM Kenny Williams having been internally discussed as successors, according to an ESPN report.

But Beeston is not going any where, we are told and will be the president for the 2015 season, we’re told.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/12/07/beeston-will-stay-with-blue-jays-for-another-year

Robertson signs with White Sox 4 years/$40 million.

It's reported Jays are looking for minimum 2 closers and maybe even a 3rd. Budget they have to work with is $15-$20 million = they won't be signing Miller or any top end guy. That 1 person would eat up their remaining budget, unless they get a guy like Miller and sign a guy to like league minimum which I don't see happening but could, just don't think it's realistic.

With that, AA, get some quality guys and not some halfass dudes and waste your money. This will make or break their season. 2nd base will be filled with the current players - a combination of them. Just excited/anxious for the remaining signings they make for the closers. And don't forget they'll likely trade Navarro too so who knows what that return will fetch us. I'm guessing they trade him for a closer+prospect.

Robertson signs with White Sox 4 years/$40 million.

It's reported Jays are looking for minimum 2 closers and maybe even a 3rd. Budget they have to work with is $15-$20 million = they won't be signing Miller or any top end guy. That 1 person would eat up their remaining budget, unless they get a guy like Miller and sign a guy to like league minimum which I don't see happening but could, just don't think it's realistic.

With that, AA, get some quality guys and not some halfass dudes and waste your money. This will make or break their season. 2nd base will be filled with the current players - a combination of them. Just excited/anxious for the remaining signings they make for the closers. And don't forget they'll likely trade Navarro too so who knows what that return will fetch us. I'm guessing they trade him for a closer+prospect.

The Robertson deal ended up being 4 years/46 Million.

As well, Miller was signed by the Yankee's last week (4 years/36 million).

The latest rumors have the Jays talking to KC about closer Greg Holland - which would be awesome!

http://jaysjournal.com/2014/12/08/blue-jays-rumors-toronto-in-pursuit-of-royals-closer-greg-holland-hot-stove/

The latest rumors have the Jays talking to KC about closer Greg Holland - which would be awesome!

http://jaysjournal.com/2014/12/08/blue-jays-rumors-toronto-in-pursuit-of-royals-closer-greg-holland-hot-stove/

Yes this would be huge for the Jays if they can land this guy, over the last 4 years an avg. era of 1.87, the guy had 90 K's last year in 60 innings roughly. 103 K's the year before, he's better then Miller imo, he has showed consitency which is big.

My bad, Holland was who I meant to say.

All the top closers in the league were groomed with-in their organization, getting one by trading/signing one would be stupid of AA.

Let Sanchez or Cecil take the role of the closer, and spend the money elsewhere.

Yes and no. Jays need help right now, badly. They can't groom 1 or 2 guys in a snap like it's magic. It takes time and they cannot depend on that this year at all. Signing/trading for one gives immediate relief to the team and in no was is stupid. You can't expect Cecil to become a stud closer by grooming him, just won't happen. And if (when) they sign/trade for a closer, if it's a quality guy and not some bad player, it'll help the development of the Jays current guys vastly with that experience and guy they can look up to.

Thought I agree I'd like to see Sanchez in the bullpen this year and not force him into the rotation. He's looked excellent, but I think it'd be better to keep him in the bullpen for a bit longer and get another pitcher like you said.

What happened to money is no object for the Jays when it comes to Lester. Bob Mccown stated the Jays willing were to pay market value for him. Lester gets a 6 year deal. Jays could made exception and given Lester that 6th year. If AA does add 1-2 pitchers to bullpen, along with signing Martin and acquring Donaldson, Saunders and thinks this team will make the playoffs, he's sadly mistaken because that won't be enough. Jays have hitting but not the pitching. Starting rotation along with bullpen were the main reason why Jays didn't make the post-season. They need an elite starting pitcher and Shields would fit the bill. I don't know how AA didn't trade for Shields last year. They should consider trading Dickey who has been a major disappointment and not lived up to expectations, but does have a financially friendly contract.

• Upvote 1

Boras rips Jays 5 yr policy

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/boras-rips-blue-jays-five-year-contract-policy/

SAN DIEGO – Powerful agent Scott Boras blames the ongoing freeze between his players and the Toronto Blue Jays on the club’s policy limiting contracts to five years.

The last Boras Corporation client to play for the Blue Jays was Brad Wilkerson in 2008, and the last of the agency’s prospects to be drafted by the club was James Paxton, who went unsigned, in 2009.

While Boras did say Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos has expressed interest in Japanese infielder Takashi Toritani – “We’ve had discussions, yes,” he said – the club isn’t actively engaged and it’s unclear if he’ll be the player that ends the drought between the two sides.

“I talk to AA all the time, I think it’s a matter of his fits,” Boras said during a lengthy and entertaining media session at the winter meetings. “I think the Blue Jays economically are one of the top six, seven teams in baseball. Rogers Communications is the wealthiest owner of any team in baseball, there’s no doubt. They have the wherewithal to do it. I’ve always said the free-agent structure, and we’ve had a lot of free agents, you’ve got to do what they’re doing with hockey.

“Rogers Communications owns the Leafs, you’ve got to be able to compete with the marketplace to give the years the other teams are offering free agents to make a great city and great franchise attract those players.”

Rogers owns 37.5 per cent of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Maple Leafs. Last year, the Maple Leafs gave Phil Kessel a $64-million, eight-year contract extension and Dion Phaneuf a $49-million, seven-year contract extension.

The longest contract in Blue Jays history is the $126-million, seven-year deal handed to Vernon Wells after the 2006 season, but under president and CEO Paul Beeston, the club has refused to go longer than five years on player contracts.

“The baseball staff there is very astute, they know who these players are, they know how talented these major free agents are, but to attract them there, they’ve got to compete with the rest of the league,” said Boras. “What we’ve seen, certainly from my perspective, is a lot of the great players we’ve represented who received seven, eight, 10 year contracts, they’ve been precluded from even entertaining Toronto because of the limitations.

“They’re the only team that has said that limitation is five years. When you do that, you are cutting yourself off from a pool of talent that makes it very, very difficult to compete, particularly in the AL East.”

^was just about to post that. Not encouraging news for Jays fans. I mean I get what AA is saying by having that rule of thumb, but to have it no questions asked is nonesense.

A lot of the times it'll save you from not getting any bad contracts but how about the other times when there's gem players out there? Not breaking the rule for them is kinda stupid and you're limiting yourself to what you have to work with. It's true Rogers has all the money but AA hasn't been good at managing the team when it's all said and done in all his years.

On side news,

@gregorMLB:

Anthopoulos: "We're probably turning our attention a little more to trades right now in terms of the relievers." #BlueJays

...better not cheap out at this point..

Yes and no. Jays need help right now, badly. They can't groom 1 or 2 guys in a snap like it's magic. It takes time and they cannot depend on that this year at all. Signing/trading for one gives immediate relief to the team and in no was is stupid. You can't expect Cecil to become a stud closer by grooming him, just won't happen. And if (when) they sign/trade for a closer, if it's a quality guy and not some bad player, it'll help the development of the Jays current guys vastly with that experience and guy they can look up to.

Thought I agree I'd like to see Sanchez in the bullpen this year and not force him into the rotation. He's looked excellent, but I think it'd be better to keep him in the bullpen for a bit longer and get another pitcher like you said.

Sure they can, Boston did it with Papalbon. Oakland did it with Street. Atlanta did it with Kimbrel. Being a closers is pretty much a hit or miss. You put a guy in that position and pray and hope he does well, there's isn't really a correct way of moulding a pitcher into an elite closer. That's why you see guys come out of nowhere and become elite closers (Rivera, Kimbrel, etc), while other guys who have high velocity, never lived up to expectations (Koch, League, Morrow).

Sounds like the reason the Jays did nothing at the GM winter meetings is they have no assets left to part with. They want to keep their young and upcoming pitchers. The only asset they have is Navarro.

I still say they should go FA to improve starting pitching. Shields is still out there.