The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

10 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Like I said... we can't expect a payroll this high forever, they'll bring it back to reality and we'll have good young players once this core is on its way out.

We will have a high payroll as long as we have the players to be competitive. It doesn't really matter that their speciality is drafting/rebuilding because Ross Atkins already confirmed this team won't be going through a rebuild due to having the financial resources to avoid one. Them being good at drafting and rebuilding just means the transition from this era to the next will be a lot smoother. When our players get older and we're not as competitive then there's no reason for a high payroll until we are competitive again, but the idea is to always remain competitive.

There's nothing to worry about my friend.

Edited by Xbox
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yes but come on now let's be honest. Rogers knew they had to do something because losing both EE and JB would of killed their fan base/attendance. I'm glad they payed up, but there's no way that was their plan from the beginning, they got scared and allowed the extra cash to save their butts.

You're right about one thing here. It wasn't their plan from the get go. We know their Plan A was Encarnacion/Fowler but those targets right there proved their financial commitment for the coming season. They shelled out for Bautista later on because he became the best player available. 

Edited by Xbox

2 hours ago, Xbox said:

You're right about one thing here. It wasn't their plan from the get go. We know their Plan A was Encarnacion/Fowler but those targets right there proved their financial commitment for the coming season. They shelled out for Bautista later on because he became the best player available. 

Yes the plan was EE, Fowler was an option they were definitely looking at. New management, once EE turned down the quick offer they jumped on Morales, so was EE really their first priority? If he was then in my mind they wouldn't of signed Morales so fast, and signing Smoak half way through the season was a little over board imo. Rogers new they needed one of them back for sure. Look I'm glad Rogers payed up, but they did it for business which is smart, but they were worried for revenue obviously.

7 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yes the plan was EE, Fowler was an option they were definitely looking at. New management, once EE turned down the quick offer they jumped on Morales, so was EE really their first priority? If he was then in my mind they wouldn't of signed Morales so fast, and signing Smoak half way through the season was a little over board imo. Rogers new they needed one of them back for sure. Look I'm glad Rogers payed up, but they did it for business which is smart, but they were worried for revenue obviously.

I like the new management but they didn't play the Edwin Encarnacion scenario correctly that's for sure. However, it took both sides of the party to screw up Edwin's return. Who knows what hardball method Kinzer used to get a new deal? They did get a good replacement for EE and actually used the money saved on the bullpen like we hoped. I agree with you about the Justin Smoak signing as I always thought the timing and term were ridiculous.

I actually already have tickets for Edwin's first game back since I wasn't able to get Home Opener tickets. That said, Rogers planned the entire time to spend more money this year. They said that to season ticket holders before renewal and they followed through with their word. I do appreciate the extra money Rogers gave them to make the Bautista deal happen sooner than later though. At the end of the day we really can't complain because this is a massive step up from Rogers (and this is coming from someone who hates Rogers and will never buy their services).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Xbox said:

I like the new management but they didn't play the Edwin Encarnacion scenario correctly that's for sure. However, it took both sides of the party to screw up Edwin's return. Who knows what hardball method Kinzer used to get a new deal? They did get a good replacement for EE and actually used the money saved on the bullpen like we hoped. I agree with you about the Justin Smoak signing as I always thought the timing and term were ridiculous.

I actually already have tickets for Edwin's first game back since I wasn't able to get Home Opener tickets. That said, Rogers planned the entire time to spend more money this year. They said that to season ticket holders before renewal and they followed through with their word. I do appreciate the extra money Rogers gave them to make the Bautista deal happen sooner than later though. At the end of the day we really can't complain because this is a massive step up from Rogers (and this is coming from someone who hates Rogers and will never buy their services).

Everything did pan out in a way and the money that was available was spent in the areas that were needed so I am glad they used it wisely in a way. 

Lucky you on getting tickets to his first game back jealous, enjoy! Well the last 2 years they have been making tons more revenue then in the past due to attendance and other stuff(merchandise) due to fans, so they had to imo or people would of really started questioning them. Yes I hate Rogers as well find them way over priced as to why 4 years ago I cancelled my phone service with them and went somewhere cheaper and better!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Everything did pan out in a way and the money that was available was spent in the areas that were needed so I am glad they used it wisely in a way. 

Lucky you on getting tickets to his first game back jealous, enjoy! Well the last 2 years they have been making tons more revenue then in the past due to attendance and other stuff(merchandise) due to fans, so they had to imo or people would of really started questioning them. Yes I hate Rogers as well find them way over priced as to why 4 years ago I cancelled my phone service with them and went somewhere cheaper and better!

A few months ago I always said that I was disappointed with the off-season but I'd give them until the beginning of the season before I passed judgment. I'm glad I did because I think we have a wicked team on paper right now. I would have been part of that majority questioning Rogers had they not done anything. Hell I was ready to put being a fan on hold until the team was sold and cheer for the New York Mets but thankfully things worked out. My sister asked me if I wanted a ticket to that game and I was so excited! Bummed about the Home Opener though I really wanted to be there, see Sanch or Stro pitch and cheer Bautista on during his first AB.

But yeah Rogers services are a rip off. It's literally paying more for less.

I'm getting this and 4 wireless HD cable boxes for cheaper than Rogers was willing to go down to. Why would I ever get rid of this?

speed.png

Edited by Xbox

14 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Hayhurst probably knows first hand..they were both in the Padres organization around the same time..  8 teams in 8 years says something.

Unofficial Captain Tulowitzki won't let that sh*t slide in the clubhouse so I'm not worried.

I remember a while back you were asking why we wear Blue so much at home now. Well the answer is actually simple, it's because Tulowitzki likes blue so he picks that lol.

There's not even enough roster spots open for Lattos anyways and if he comes up and acts like a tool while replacing an injured player then he won't last very long in our veteran clubhouse.

Edited by Xbox

4 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Unofficial Captain Tulowitzki won't let that sh*t slide in the clubhouse so I'm not worried.

I remember a while back you were asking why we wear Blue so much at home now. Well the answer is actually simple, it's because Tulowitzki likes blue so he picks that lol.

There's not even enough roster spots open for Lattos anyways and if he comes up and acts like a tool while replacing an injured player then he won't last very long in our veteran clubhouse.

Latos is a big man..6-6   245....yeah I dont think crap will fly in that locker room.

1 minute ago, ShakyWalton said:

Latos is a big man..6-6   245....yeah I dont think crap will fly in that locker room.

If other players find him intimidating you get Ross Atkins on the phone asap and bury him deep in the system. I really doubt 9th times the charm.

45 minutes ago, Xbox said:

A few months ago I always said that I was disappointed with the off-season but I'd give them until the beginning of the season before I passed judgment. I'm glad I did because I think we have a wicked team on paper right now. I would have been part of that majority questioning Rogers had they not done anything. Hell I was ready to put being a fan on hold until the team was sold and cheer for the New York Mets but thankfully things worked out. My sister asked me if I wanted a ticket to that game and I was so excited! Bummed about the Home Opener though I really wanted to be there, see Sanch or Stro pitch and cheer Bautista on during his first AB.

But yeah Rogers services are a rip off. It's literally paying more for less.

I'm getting this and 4 wireless HD cable boxes for cheaper than Rogers was willing to go down to. Why would I ever get rid of this?

Reveal hidden contents

speed.png

Yes on paper the team does look pretty good, it's just if they pan out that will be the test of course. And as others have mentioned imo will come down to SP again, last year we may of got a little lucky on that aspect no one expected that. But if they can stay hot like last year we should be very competitive again as long as injuries don't factor in at all.

Wow those are some ridiculous good speeds lucky you, yeah wouldn't want to change that!

• Upvote 1

Latos is another low risk high reward signings just like Saltalamachia. If he pitches well and impresses in training camp, he will find himself a spot in the BP over Bolsinger, Floyd say since Floyd could use Triple A to get his stuff back after a injury depleted season. But if he can't sort out his attitude like what Shaky had mentioned, then he will be buried in the minors

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Xbox said:

I swear the sports media here asks the most ridiculous questions. I doubt there's a city with worse sports journalists. Just listen to the questions they ask Bautista.

Yeah I hear you there but lots of sports journalist ask stupid questions a lot and hoping for a headline story that the player will say something to get attention it is annoying. For example Dan Murphy for the Canucks, yes people like him and he's a good guy, but when I watch him interview players between periods I always end up questioning his questions, some are just like really why are you even asking that. It's just a problem with lots of sports journalist imo. 

• Upvote 1

http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1234572-bautista-open-to-playing-different-positions-to-help-blue-jays-win

I think that this has been mentioned before on here but Joey Bats says publicly that he will be willing to playing anywhere to help the Jays win this year. since we lacked the BP the Tribe had in last year's ALCS which resulted in us getting trounced, management has addressed those issues signing Howell and Smith to replace Cecil while picking up Bolsinger also. If Donaldson has another MVP like season, Bats has a repeat of his 2015 performance, Morales and Pearce break out while the pitching rotation remains healthy again, the team has a strong chance of competing for the pennant and win the World Series. though teams like Boston, Indians have gotten better, if we play small ball and mix it up with the home run ball when we really need it, we would have a chance of beating them though both have aces. 

8 hours ago, Xbox said:

We will have a high payroll as long as we have the players to be competitive. It doesn't really matter that their speciality is drafting/rebuilding because Ross Atkins already confirmed this team won't be going through a rebuild due to having the financial resources to avoid one. Them being good at drafting and rebuilding just means the transition from this era to the next will be a lot smoother. When our players get older and we're not as competitive then there's no reason for a high payroll until we are competitive again, but the idea is to always remain competitive.

There's nothing to worry about my friend.

i agree

why is everyone needing to second guess what is actually going on

look at the current trend

i think rogers has learned that if they spend on the club they earn it back from fan interest

and if they keep this up the jays will become the nations team

they have the biggest market of any mlb team if you include the country

they'd be stupid to not try to maximize that

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1234572-bautista-open-to-playing-different-positions-to-help-blue-jays-win

I think that this has been mentioned before on here but Joey Bats says publicly that he will be willing to playing anywhere to help the Jays win this year. since we lacked the BP the Tribe had in last year's ALCS which resulted in us getting trounced, management has addressed those issues signing Howell and Smith to replace Cecil while picking up Bolsinger also. If Donaldson has another MVP like season, Bats has a repeat of his 2015 performance, Morales and Pearce break out while the pitching rotation remains healthy again, the team has a strong chance of competing for the pennant and win the World Series. though teams like Boston, Indians have gotten better, if we play small ball and mix it up with the home run ball when we really need it, we would have a chance of beating them though both have aces. 

what about moving Bats to first on occasion...Im sure he can handle it..he was a 3rd baseman...that frees up Pearce for the OF and limits Smoaks ABs.....just a thought..

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

what about moving Bats to first on occasion...Im sure he can handle it..he was a 3rd baseman...that frees up Pearce for the OF and limits Smoaks ABs.....just a thought..

That's exactly what I've been thinking, and going by his comments in that interview almost may of suggested that regarding moving around in different positions....

• Upvote 1