The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Why do people keep bringing him up?

Why not? Do you have inside info? Then why slam people who are throwing out names in a hockey forum.

He's just as good a candidate IMO as Jeff Blashill, who many are suggesting will be a head coach in the league soon. Jon Cooper had no NHL experience and a very similar AHL record to Desjardins, and he seems to be doing just fine no?

I'm actually tired of the recycled head coach carousel, and frankly if our team is going younger over the next three years, I like the idea of a head coach who excels at teaching kids. If lack of experience dealing with NHL players is a concern, then that's where a Gulutzan comes in handy.

Here's a article in USA Today where Desjardins is being mentioned in some pretty good company:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2014/05/06/nhl-coaching-candidates/8782281/

From Kuzma's article today with Don Hay on Desjardins:

Thank you.

He doesn't have to think so vividly.

Why do people keep bringing him up?

Why not? Do you have inside info? Then why slam people who are throwing out names in a hockey forum.

He's just as good a candidate IMO as Jeff Blashill, who many are suggesting will be a head coach in the league soon. Jon Cooper had no NHL experience and a very similar AHL record to Desjardins, and he seems to be doing just fine no?

I wasn't slamming him...

He questioned my choice of John Stevens, and then countered with Willie Desjardins. I didn't know a whole lot about him, so I was asking what was special about him.

If both were equal I would choose Blashill because he has been groomed by Babcock. Detroit also has a great track record of producing NHL coaches.

I wasn't slamming him...

He questioned my choice of John Stevens, and then countered with Willie Desjardins. I didn't know a whole lot about him, so I was asking what was special about him.

If both were equal I would choose Blashill because he has been groomed by Babcock. Detroit also has a great track record of producing NHL coaches.

No.

I did not question anyone nor counteract with anyone.

I simply asked why you thought that Stevens was the slam dunk choice. Never did I question you about his coaching abilities. Desjardins was just an example that there are many other candidates out there than just one.

Nowhere have I said that one is better than the other.

No.

I did not question anyone nor counteract with anyone.

I simply asked why you thought that Stevens was the slam dunk choice. Never did I question you about his coaching abilities. Desjardins was just an example that there are many other candidates out there than just one.

Nowhere have I said that one is better than the other.

Hmm...You sure about that?

DeNiro, on 16 May 2014 - 4:22 PM, said:snapback.png

John Stevens it is then?

Unless you're being sarcastic, I expect better from you Deniro ;)

Seems to me like you didn't think Stevens was a good choice. Maybe you were being sarcastic, but that's not always easy to tell on the internet.

Hmm...You sure about that?

DeNiro, on 16 May 2014 - 4:22 PM, said:snapback.png

John Stevens it is then?

Seems to me like you didn't think Stevens was a good choice. Maybe you were being sarcastic, but that's not always easy to tell on the internet.

Quite sure.

Nope, just misinterpretation on your part sir.

I meant I expect better from you as in you were thinking so vividly. I'd expect that from the likes of Merci or BanTSN. Sorry bud.

Quite sure.

Nope, just misinterpretation on your part sir.

Do you even know what you meant then?

You said you expected better from me. If that wasn't implying that Stevens was not a good choice, I'm sure what it could have meant.

So, I heard from some guy, who overheard a girl in his office, that her best friend was talking to her brother who had just come from a coffee shop where he saw someone who he said looked just like Trevor Linden saying something about it was time to just hire Benning and be done with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait.....I'm in Vegas! What the hell would Linden be doing in Vegas???

Sorry guys, my bad!

Edited my recent post now.

Just thought you of all posters on here would be more considerate of other options.

I didn't question anyone's options at that point.

I threw out Stevens name because I thought he was the next logical choice for coaches if Trotz is not available.

Pretty sure you were the one to question my choice of Stevens. Just cause I didn't choose an "outside the box" coach, doesn't mean he's not a good choice.

I threw out Stevens name because I thought he was the next logical choice for coaches if Trotz is not available.

Pretty sure you were the one to question my choice of Stevens. Just cause I didn't choose an "outside the box" coach, doesn't mean he's not a good choice.

"John Stevens it is then" isn't exactly "throwing out a name."

"John Stevens it is then" isn't exactly "throwing out a name."

When there's a question mark at the end of it, it kind of changes the context. ;)

I was posing a question to get the discussion going, since it's rumored Trotz might go to Washington.

Again, I never questioned Stevens' abilities. I was questioning why he was your indisputable choice rather than you considering much more options. Who thinks it should be Stevens? You and maybe some other fans and media? That doesn't mean it's what Linden and his staff would think.

Lol. Now, I have no idea why you are insinuating that I think that Stevens is a poor choice because he isn't an outside of the box coach. That's just complete nonsense.

Again, I never questioned Stevens' abilities. I was questioning why he was your indisputable choice rather than you considering much more options. Who thinks it should be Stevens? You and maybe some other fans and media? That doesn't mean it's what Linden and his staff would think.

Lol. Now, I have no idea why you are insinuating that I think that Stevens is a poor choice because he isn't an outside of the box coach. That's just complete nonsense.

Never said you did question his abilities. If he's my choice for coach, that's my choice. You're the one that questioned me for choosing him, and then listed two outside the box coaches.

I've already considered choices since the end of the season because I had a feeling Tortorella would get fired. My choice is Stevens.

Posing a question of will it be Stevens is in no way insinuating anyone else's choice's are bad ones.

I didn't mean to butt heads with you DeNiro.

We have just had a misunderstanding.

That's fine.

I'm just trying to clear things up that I didn't say other people's choices were bad ones. Simply that my first choice is Stevens.

That's fine.

I'm just trying to clear things up that I didn't say other people's choices were bad ones. Simply that my first choice is Stevens.

Stevens would be solid. He was definitely my preference last year.

Now with a change in culture and personnel here in Vancouver with different ideas, I'm trying to learn about some more of the names and get a better perspective on different options.

Archived