The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "I would like to see Torts stay for at least one more year" thread.

SuperReverb2

No, it's actually a sign of prototypical 3rd liners like Higgins and Hansen being forced into top-6 roles for the entire season.

It's actually a sign of many things including that.

Way too many people trying to make it out like it's all one person's fault. Many things contributed to this miserable season.

It wasn't just the players, the coaches or the previous three GM's. It was all of them. (As well as a few issues outside of the team's control.)

It's actually a sign of many things including that.

Way too many people trying to make it out like it's all one person's fault. Many things contributed to this miserable season.

It wasn't just the players, the coaches or the previous three GM's. It was all of them. (As well as a few issues outside of the team's control.)

Hard to argue with that...but my point was specifically in response to the lack of production Vs. the number of shots and scoring chances.

outshooting your opponent 2:1 and winning 2-1 isn't a sign of a team playing well. it's a sign of a bad system.

it's a sign of players not being able to finish. How often do we get to see a shot get ripped top shelf? 30/30 shots by our players go right into the goalie's crest or misses the net

No, it's actually a sign of prototypical 3rd liners like Higgins and Hansen being forced into top-6 roles for the entire season.

its a sign of a system that emphasizes "shooting from everywhere" which amounts to forcing low percentage plays. the theory is that lots of shots = lots of rebounds = lots of scoring chances. but the actual net result is lots of easy saves for the goalie, which gets him in a groove, and lots of turnovers, since at least as many rebounds are gathered up by the opposing team instead of being turned into second chance opportunities.

its a sign of a system that emphasizes "shooting from everywhere" which amounts to forcing low percentage plays. the theory is that lots of shots = lots of rebounds = lots of scoring chances. but the actual net result is lots of easy saves for the goalie, which gets him in a groove, and lots of turnovers, since at least as many rebounds are gathered up by the opposing team instead of being turned into second chance opportunities.

I disagree with your premise of shooting "from everywhere" but there may be a preference to get shots from the points and to get rebounds. This is how a lot of teams score most of their goals. Looking at the amount of high-grade scoring chances the Canucks had throughout the year that they were not able to finish was staggering. Add to this the amount of clean looks that missed the net...

As an example, the Canucks had 21 scoring chances in their last game against the Oilers but still lost 5-2.

That's not the coaches fault as he uses what he's supplied with. The supplier (Mike Gillis) has already paid the price for his inadequacies.

:)

It's no coincidence all of our star players players had some of their worst years under Torts. Get rid of the guy and find someone who knows how to deal with advanced stats and modern tactics. Not stone age garbage. I can see him drawing out his gameplan ...

YOU GET PUCK

YOU DUMP PUCK

YOU HIT MAN

YOU GET PUCK

YOU SHOOT PUCK

YOU SKATE BACK

It's no coincidence all of our star players players had some of their worst years under Torts. Get rid of the guy and find someone who knows how to deal with advanced stats and modern tactics. Not stone age garbage. I can see him drawing out his gameplan ...

YOU GET PUCK

YOU DUMP PUCK

YOU HIT MAN

YOU GET PUCK

YOU SHOOT PUCK

YOU SKATE BACK

Have you been watching the playoffs so far? Lot's of that going on. Just saying...as the second season is upon us and as we all know, it's the only season that really matters. No time in the playoffs for "advanced stats and modern tactics". Just hard nosed, old fashioned hockey.

It's funny how the arguments change. Used to be shots shots shots was the mantra around here. People trying to make pretty plays and fans getting frustrated screaming for them to just shoot.

You keep talking about Torts system but I'm not sure you understand what his system is. It's pressure not lots of shots. There's a world of difference.

BTW the Canucks averaged 30.8 shots per game while allowing 28.4 shots against per game. Care to explain your point given those two numbers?

YOU GET PUCK

YOU DUMP PUCK

YOU HIT MAN

YOU GET PUCK

YOU SHOOT PUCK

YOU SKATE BACK

Is this your first year watching hockey?

It also may mean that we need some better players, which again, is the GM's responsibility, not the coaches responsibility. I seem to remember AV trying to "shoot from everywhere" when we were desperate to win against Boston in 2011 finals. Same tactics, same players, same results. Time to shake up a few players I think.

Have you been watching the playoffs so far? Lot's of that going on. Just saying...as the second season is upon us and as we all know, it's the only season that really matters. No time in the playoffs for "advanced stats and modern tactics". Just hard nosed, old fashioned hockey.

the speed and possession game seems to be doing ok for san jose against the kings.

and it was mentioned during the broadcast last night that both the hawks and blues subscribe to the same advanced stats service that provides them with up to date numbers between periods.

It's funny how the arguments change. Used to be shots shots shots was the mantra around here. People trying to make pretty plays and fans getting frustrated screaming for them to just shoot.

You keep talking about Torts system but I'm not sure you understand what his system is. It's pressure not lots of shots. There's a world of difference.

BTW the Canucks averaged 30.8 shots per game while allowing 28.4 shots against per game. Care to explain your point given those two numbers?

my point was that even in the games when the canucks outshot their opponent by a wide margin, they still weren't playing good hockey.

Archived