The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK28r7DxHzo

^This is why I don't want Ehlers. Do you supporters want to put a 160lb boy against the Ducks, Sharks and Kings all season long?

Are you insane!?!

If you love him, set him free. Let him slide on over to the east where's he's far less likely to be killed.

No Perimeter players.

That means we need Ritchie/

Ehlers isn't a perimeter player, meaning he stays to the outside. No, he gets down into the dirty areas and battles it out with the big boys.

That being said, it's highly likely that we go with whoever falls out of the Big 5 or Nick Ritchie, just because of the package Ritchie brings to the table. We need a guy like Lucic but more skilled and speedy. That's Nick Ritchie.

Highly skilled and smart? Yeah, Ritchie's our guy.

This topic is for Ehlers love, though.

The 1% chance that we pick Ehlers - that's what this topic's for.

^This is why I don't want Ehlers. Do you supporters want to put a 160lb boy against the Ducks, Sharks and Kings all season long?

Are you insane!?!

If you love him, set him free. Let him slide on over to the east where's he's far less likely to be killed.

There are much worse hits against Ehlers.

He's been crunched many times this year, but you must take into account the fact that you haven't watched every game of the year. The amount of highly skilled plays Ehlers makes eclipses the amount of times he's actually been taken down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCWOKRN0jKY

Ehlers isn't a perimeter player, meaning he stays to the outside. No, he gets down into the dirty areas and battles it out with the big boys.

That being said, it's highly likely that we go with whoever falls out of the Big 5 or Nick Ritchie, just because of the package Ritchie brings to the table. We need a guy like Lucic but more skilled and speedy. That's Nick Ritchie.

Highly skilled and smart? Yeah, Ritchie's our guy.

This topic is for Ehlers love, though.

The 1% chance that we pick Ehlers - that's what this topic's for.

If we pick Ritchie, our team is going to be god damn boring to watch. Were gonna be like Nashville. We need some flashy skill man. Even the Big Bad Bruins have small skilled guys.

Are you insane!?!

Lol, if I love him...........?

You mean like in Free WilliE...hlers?

Are you insane!?!

You're implying that he'll never grow. Doesn't matter who you are, if someone comes at you at that velocity, you'll feel the effects of it. I'm not rooting for the Canucks to draft this kid but you're completely overlooking his skills and potential.

Yes but currently do we have small skilled guys? The answer is no. We have the big ones. That being said, Ehlers is not small. Hes 6 foot which is pretty average.

Shinkaruk, Schroeder, Subban, Cassels.

It's all relative. Why is being small and skilled better than big and skilled? That makes no sense.

I have my own preference but I don't like it when people talk down other prospects inaccurately to boost the evaluation of another.

Ehlers has the potential to be a star, top 6 guy - that being said we need versatility.

Ehlers wouldn't be able to battle it out with third line minutes - which is EXACTLY what this organization wants. Ritchie could go up and down the lineup, our coaches AV and Torts have all expressed the need for depth scoring from all lines.

A versatile player who can score from all four lines is what the doctor ordered this time.

Ehlers has star potential.

He wouldn't want to be switched around with different linemates, he wants chemistry and the chemistry to stick.

On our team, players go up and down the lineup, the instability of the team is just too much.

We may need to a guy less skilled, but who has the ability to make an impact from any line he's on.

That's just the way this division works, sadly.

You're implying that he'll never grow. Doesn't matter who you are, if someone comes at you at that velocity, you'll feel the effects of it. I'm not rooting for the Canucks to draft this kid but you're completely overlooking his skills and potential.

The problem with him needing to grow is that he has to do so, instantly, just to catch up with his draft class peers. Meanwhile, his draft class peers will grow at the same time, so will he ever catch up? Not to mention, won't his speed potentially go away if he gains more weight?

This is the main problem with all undersized players. They all carry significant risk, as you don't know what you have when they finally put on the weight, assuming they're able to put on the weight.

They're alright to pick if you think they'll be facing some soft competition and/or get some easy minutes. But otherwise? Way too risky.

Yes, Ehlers has skill, but it will be safer and easier for him to score against teams like Tampa Bay and Carolina, who love those kinda players. Over here, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft_HhyBiXxw

21 seconds in, you can see him crazily cut into the middle of the ice towards an opponent.

If he does that against the Kings, Dustin Brown may select to end his career, just like he almost ended Hertl's, and Hertl isn't a toothpick.

One (There will be no two): Let's talk about speed. Ehlers has outside speed. Bure had inside speed. Ehlers has tunnelvision and gets stopped easily on the boards unless he has a clear path to the net. Bure went through all 5 guys at times and continuously scored spectacular goals in traffic. Ehlers legs, both of them, could fit inside one of Bure's thighs. Bure was a superstar. Ehlers will not be. Please stop comparing the two players. Maxim Afinogenov was also very fast, but in a similar, outside speed regard that Ehlers his. Please compare those two players instead as it's less disrespectful to one of the best Canucks ever.

Did Mackinnon score today? Yes, he did. So that means Ehlers and all his great QMJHL points will project the same way, right? No. No it won't. If scouts thought so, then Ehlers would be a consensus 1st overall pick.

Question: If he has such great speed and skill, then why is he not the consensus 1st overall pick? Because scouts don't know him? Please. Give scouts some credit here. It's because many scouts feel that his speed and skill won't translate to the NHL. Not unless it's in a Jeff Skinner kinda way. ie. He has to be in a puff division to score against puff opposition. Have you seen how easily Montreal is lighting up Tampa Bay? Freakin' Rene Bourque schooled their 'shutdown' pairing. This is the type of opposition Ehlers should be playing against. Why do you hate him so much that you want him to be absolutely crushed while playing against our opposition? That's not nice.

Big part of the reason of MacKinnon's ranking is that he had a complete game. He was a center. He played with a fair defensive acumen. He wasn't undersized. If Ehlers was all these things, he's be a better prospect and perhaps worthy of all the love he's been getting here. But unfortunately this is not the case. In fact the case is that the undersized factor means the risk of picking him is exceptional.

btw Ehlers was shut out today as his team fell down 0-2 in their series. Drouin had a goal and was once again the best player on his team.

Spoken like someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Ehlers does play with "fair defensive acumen" thats why he's on the #1 PK unit.

Mackinnon was the same height coming into his draft year as Ehlers was coming into this one, Mackinnon is now 6'0. Ehlers has been listed on some sites as 5'11 & a half, and some at 6'0. We will have to wait till the combine but there will probably be only half an inch difference (at the most)

But Ehlers is undersized and Mackinnon isn't/wasn't? Niether are or ever were undersized.

Afinogenov is a terrible comparison, he had no head for the game, talk about someone with tunnel vision, he didn't have hockey sense, didn't pass well, was selfish, couldn't make plays & his shot wasn't anything to write home about either.

Ehlers doesn't have tunnel vision, he's a smart player, a good skater in every area, agility, acceleration, his zone entry is outstanding and he's not a perimeter player, he has a great shot, he can makes plays, he's got good hockey sense and uses his skating ability very well with and without the puck.

I was watching him play today and I saw him accelerate in a hurry and weve in and out of 3 guys in the middle of the ice in the nuetral zone to gain the line.

If you don't lwant us to take a certain player fine, but don't make up stuff to discredit them.

Edit: And he's not a consensus 1st overall because there were other prospects that put up 100 points this season. Its not like he's the only one with a really high skill level.

Mackinnon was the same height coming into his draft year as Ehlers was coming into this one, Mackinnon is now 6'0. Ehlers has been listed on some sites as 5'11 & a half, and some at 6'0. We will have to wait till the combine but there will probably be only half an inch difference (at the most)

But Ehlers is undersized and Mackinnon isn't/wasn't? Niether are or ever were undersized.

Afinogenov is a terrible comparison, he had no head for the game, talk about someone with tunnel vision, he didn't have hockey sense, didn't pass well, was selfish, couldn't make plays & his shot wasn't anything to write home about either.

Ehlers doesn't have tunnel vision, he's a smart player, a good skater in every area, agility, acceleration, his zone entry is outstanding and he's not a perimeter player, he has a great shot, he can makes plays, he's got good hockey sense and uses his skating ability very well with and without the puck.

I was watching him play today and I saw him accelerate in a hurry and weve in and out of 3 guys in the middle of the ice in the nuetral zone to gain the line.

If you don't lwant us to take a certain player fine, but don't make up stuff to discredit them.

Edit: And he's not a consensus 1st overall because there were other prospects that put up 100 points this season. Its not like he's the only one with a really high skill level.

IMO its him or Kapanen we should draft. We don't need Ritchie.

Ehlers doesn't have tunnel vision, he's a smart player, a good skater in every area, agility, acceleration, his zone entry is outstanding and he's not a perimeter player, he has a great shot, he can makes plays, he's got good hockey sense and uses his skating ability with and without the puck.

MacKinnon was 20lbs heavier in his draft year. That's significant. Even 10 pounds is significant. Consider the fact that skinny guys usually remain skinny. That's important. That's a big risk to consider.

Afinogenov and Filatov are certainly better comparisons to Ehlers than Pavel Bure, wouldn't you say?

Ehlers is a perimeter player. Constantly keeps to the outside because there is more fear the further inside he's in. It's typical for prospects like him. Bure was fearless. He was also way faster. If we want to compare the speed alone of said player anyway, then Afinogenov and Filatov are fine comparisons.

Shinkaruk, Schroeder, Subban, Cassels.

It's all relative. Why is being small and skilled better than big and skilled? That makes no sense.

I have my own preference but I don't like it when people talk down other prospects inaccurately to boost the evaluation of another.

The prospects you named don't have that first line potential like Ehlers. Ehlers would be the perfect playmaker for Jensen

The prospects you named don't have that first line potential like Ehlers. Ehlers would be the perfect playmaker for Jensen

That's fine that is your opinion but it doesn't make Ritchie a bad prospect without skill.

Ritchie certainly has first line potential if he has the right line mates.

Is Krejci a true 1st line centre? Probably not.

Ehlers and Jensen would both be looking for the same spots on the ice, so no. Drouin, however, would be nice.

Anyone see that sweet spin-o-rama assist to Ehlers?

Archived