The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

Duchene is 200 lbs. Everybody else plays in the east. Versteeg doesn't make a huge difference for the hawks.

So yea please continue

Markus Naslund when drafted 5 '11 175

Ehlers 5'11 168

ya markus naslund sucked and ya think Duschene was 200 lbs when drafted? lol...

oh and players don't gain weight? umm he's 18...most 18 yr old professional athletes gain muscle

I remember 2 years ago people yammering that Tanev was too small and light lol

Crosby would suck in the west, so would Giroux

wow so many holes in your silly points

how do we know the west will be so big and bad 5 years from now, things change, by the time ehlers is ready the west could very well not be so airtight and not nearly as huge

The league has slowly trended towards teams that are balanced in speed, skill, and size. I really doubt we're turning back time here where size is just a bonus

Duchene is 200 lbs. Everybody else plays in the east. Versteeg doesn't make a huge difference for the hawks.

So yea please continue

Only THREE years ago, skill was the #1 priority. Now it is size. In three years it might be back to skill and we might have a bunch of slow powerforwards. You do NOT pick a player based on what other teams have, you pick the best player available UNLESS you have BPA'ed for numerous years and now really need a certain player.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk played for years in the West and dominated. You're telling me Crosby and Giroux among others won't perform in the West?

point is (which you astutely make/related to yours)...people here keep assuming who we draft is going to step in this year (its implicit in the point that we need size).

1. We need size NOW

2. We are drafting a player than won't be ready for at least 2-3 years more likely 3-4

3. Therefore a smart person (such as yourself) see's that what we should be looking at is our team needs in 3-5 years

4. Thus we look at our prospect pool and its NEEDS

5. We have size and 2 way players in that prospect pool

6. We lack speed and pure gamebreaking talent other than Shinkaruk in that prospect pool (ie the reason so many have said we need replacements for the Sedins right?)

7. I have repeated this over and over and yet people really dont get it

8. you dont solve today's problem with a player who's not coming for 3-5 years lol

9. you don't want to create a different problem by trying to constantly draft the same player, as teams need a mix

10. our FUTURE mix is needing number 6 above

I agree, with number 6.....and as for number 7...who the hell are you to repeat anything and get upset..you are a fan bro like me.

Markus Naslund when drafted 5 '11 175

Ehlers 5'11 168

ya markus naslund sucked and ya think Duschene was 200 lbs when drafted? lol...

oh and players don't gain weight? hmm

Crosby would suck in the west, so would Giroux

wow so many holes in your silly points

Naslund never had to play against today's Bruins, Kings, Sharks, Ducks, Blues.

I'm not saying Crosby and Giroux would suck in the west but don't you think their numbers would take a dip? Crosby was completely shut out last season against the Bruins in the playoffs. Imagine him playing against big teams like the day in and day out through an 82 game season and into the playoffs.

"silly point"

Only THREE years ago, skill was the #1 priority. Now it is size. In three years it might be back to skill and we might have a bunch of slow powerforwards. You do NOT pick a player based on what other teams have, you pick the best player available UNLESS you have BPA'ed for numerous years and now really need a certain player.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk played for years in the West and dominated. You're telling me Crosby and Giroux among others won't perform in the West?

Every team in the west is now trending to the model where there is that balance. You really think a bunch of tweeners with sick hands will dance around teams like the Sharks, Kings, Ducks, Blues, Bruins? They're having a lot of success right now because of their balance. They're most definitely not getting any smaller, that's for sure

So yea please continue

Little, Oshie, Schwartz, Pavelski, Hornqvist, Pominville, Parise, Grandlund, Eberle, RNH, Seguin, Mackinnon, Hudler, Cammalleri, Cogliano and Perreault.

All small guys, all from the West and all have put up good numbers considering the teams they are on.

Naslund never had to play against today's Bruins, Kings, Sharks, Ducks, Blues.

I'm not saying Crosby and Giroux would suck in the west but don't you think their numbers would take a dip? Crosby was completely shut out last season against the Bruins in the playoffs. Imagine him playing against big teams like the day in and day out through an 82 game season and into the playoffs.

"silly point"

silly point?

look at our prospect pool that's what we're drafting for...not TODAY..for the last time...please read my post above it lays it out quite nicely as to how we should be thinking about this draft and why elite skill is a must...

for a quick summary prospect players (forwards) with size / who can play a fight through the traffic game

Kassian (potential 55-60 pt power forward player)

Jensen (potential 70-75 pt sniper who can handle the size/ Hertl type)

Horvat (potential 60-70 pt 2 way player who has the size to play any style (as we know compared to Bergeron)

Lain (20-25 pt 4th line center)

Matthias (25-35 pt 3rd liner with size)

Archibald (15-20 pt 4th liner with size)

Cassels (can play a gritty game 35 pt 3rd line player with grit)

Gaunce (3rd line center potential 35-40 pt player with size to handle a tougher game)

Fox (who knows but a player with size and strength)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Shinkaruk (potential 1st liner with 75-85 pt potential), finesse, speed game

No one else

So tell me again, we need size in the future? In a perfect world we'd find a big elite skilled center to be Hank's replacement in this draft but sadly, if Lindros was around he'd be first overall. At our pick, if there is not an elite center we need a winger with that elite skill to be that extra scorer. You need scoring depth man, not just size...right now we have enough size in the prospect pool and size is easier to find in later rounds, elite skill is not.

I'm silly? And for the last time, this guy isn't the size of Briere and scouting reports say he can handle a tough game and doesnt shy away.

thanks for coming out

Little, Oshie, Schwartz, Pavelski, Hornqvist, Pominville, Parise, Grandlund, Eberle, RNH, Seguin, Mackinnon, Hudler, Cammalleri, Cogliano and Perreault.

All small guys, all from the West and all have put up good numbers considering the teams they are on.

But 90% of them are out of the playoffs

Every team in the west is now trending to the model where there is that balance. You really think a bunch of tweeners with sick hands will dance around teams like the Sharks, Kings, Ducks, Blues, Bruins? They're having a lot of success right now because of their balance. They're most definitely not getting any smaller, that's for sure

Look at our future forward top 9 roster and other than Shinkaruk do you see any "small" players?

Jensen - 6'3

Kassian - 6'3

Horvat - 6'0

Gaunce - 6'2

Cassels - 6'0

Shinkaruk - 5'11

Then you have other young big players like Lain, Archibald, Fox, Zalewski and Grenier.

Ehlers is one of the few prospects outside of the top five with first line potential and that's what the Canucks need. They have a bunch of future second liners but not many future first liners. The main need is a future first line center but the Canucks would have to hope somebody drops to get that (or pick Nylander).

silly point?

look at our prospect pool that's what we're drafting for...not TODAY..for the last time...please read my post above it lays it out quite nicely as to how we should be thinking about this draft and why elite skill is a must...

for a quick summary prospect players (forwards) with size / who can play a fight through the traffic game

Kassian (potential 55-60 pt power forward player)

Jensen (potential 70-75 pt sniper who can handle the size/ Hertl type)

Horvat (potential 60-70 pt 2 way player who has the size to play any style (as we know compared to Bergeron)

Lain (20-25 pt 4th line center)

Matthias (25-35 pt 3rd liner with size)

Archibald (15-20 pt 4th liner with size)

Cassels (can play a gritty game 35 pt 3rd line player with grit)

Gaunce (3rd line center potential 35-40 pt player with size to handle a tougher game)

Fox (who knows but a player with size and strength)

No one else

So tell me again, we need size in the future? In a perfect world we'd find a big elite skilled center to be Hank's replacement in this draft but sadly, if Lindros was around he'd be first overall. At our pick, if there is not an elite center we need a winger with that elite skill to be that extra scorer. You need scoring depth man, not just size...right now we have enough size in the prospect pool and size is easier to find in later rounds, elite skill is not.

I'm silly? And for the last time, this guy isn't the size of Briere and scouting reports say he can handle a tough game and doesnt shy away.

thanks for coming out

Jensen shies away from physical play. Kassian and Horvat are fine but everyone else you mention are 3rd/4th liners. Why do we have to sacrafice size for skill? Why not take a guy like Ritchie where you don't have to compromise. We clearly see things differently and I respect your opinion but I just don't see Ehlers as someone who can thrive in our conference

silly point?

1.Kassian (potential 55-60 pt power forward player)

2.Jensen (potential 70-75 pt sniper who can handle the size/ Hertl type)

3.Horvat (potential 60-70 pt 2 way player who has the size to play any style (as we know compared to Bergeron)

4.Lain (20-25 pt 4th line center)

5.Matthias (25-35 pt 3rd liner with size)

6.Archibald (15-20 pt 4th liner with size)

7.Cassels (can play a gritty game 35 pt 3rd line player with grit)

8.Gaunce (3rd line center potential 35-40 pt player with size to handle a tougher game)

9.Fox (who knows but a player with size and strength)

No one else

I'm silly?

thanks for coming out

I highlighted your mistakes..

2. Jensen will never hit 70-75 points..ever

6. Archibald will never be a regular on the Canucks.

8. Gaunce is big but a slug and sure isnt any saviour

No..you are wrong,,you are tool..put an R in there and you are a troll..we all understand hockey her buddy,,you seem to think you are enlightening us...

Damn..maybe you could be Batman,,,sorry

you get so angry when people present arguments that make sense because they understand hockey much better than you

sorry you think this is some sort of ego thing, i feel for you that you are so insecure

be well

I highlighted your mistakes..

2. Jensen will never hit 70-75 points..ever

6. Archibald will never be a regular on the Canucks.

8. Gaunce is big but a slug and sure isnt any saviour

1. I used the word potential and if he cant hit 70-75 pts EVEN MORE REASON TO DRAFT ELITE SKILL, AS HE NEXT TO SHINKARUK, HE IS REALLY OUR BEST OFFENSIVE PROSPECT - OOPS ARGUED AGAINST YOUR OWN POINT

2. Archibald has already shown he can manage playing the 4th line and that's all he will be -a role player with size. its opinion, but clearly being called up numerous times shows he can play that role, that's simply a fact from last season, debate a fact as much as you please

3. Never said Gaunce is a saviour, and I said he has size and is a third liner - again suggests the need for skill

amazing your lack of reading comprehension even when i ordered everything nicely for you

sorry you lose

John Scott is 6'8 and out of the playoffs. Guess we shouldn't draft big players. Your points are getting worse and worse with each post.

John Scott is a caveman and has less skill than an ape.. how is that even relevent to this discussion?

that's like me saying well I go to school with some 5'7 guys so lets draft them as well since you like small guys... That just makes no sense

Archived