The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

I like how people are comparing Ehlers and Bennett now. Size isn't everything, Bennett plays a gritty game with skill, more so than Ehlers, but both will be very good NHLer's one day.

If Nik ends up being 6'0 185-190 he will be great.

If he has a late growth spurt like many young adults do he could end up being 6'1 200, then people would be kicking themselves over and over after passing him up.

1. Linden is not the GM

2. Linden is not the head scout

He wants competitors and will expect the GM/scouts to take the best player available in the context of our prospect pool and future needs, assuming he hires a smart strategic GM

its not about finding Linden clones man

again, oversimplification

Oh and ps, Eric Lindros and Milan Lucic are not in this draft nor is someone even close to as good with

all those qualities (hit, skate and score) ie Cam Neely available in this draft and if they were they wouldn't be available when we pick.

If they haven't hired a GM before the draft the Linden will be the defacto GM

Don't matter none. They still wont draft Ehlers

If we don't take a risk on Ehlers, it could be a while before we have a chance at drafting a center with skill unless we tank next season as well. So there's that angle as well.

Then again, I would question the necessity of such a player: when is the last time you saw a center like Ehlers lead a team to the Stanley Cup?

Outside of Crosby & the 2009 Penguins (supported by Malkin and Staal - 6'3" and 6'4" respectively), the last time a team with a small but skilled #1 center was Anaheim in 2007 with Andy McDonald. Perhaps you can make an argument for Krejci (6'0" 188lbs) if Ehlers grows.

I think a lot of it depends on Ehlers's defensive play and his physicality. If he can play defense and somewhat physically like Krejci, I think Ehlers might be worth the pick over Ritchie.

I have no idea why Ehlers threshold now is to lead an NHL franchise to a cup.

But to put an example into context lets use his predecessor. Nathan MacKinnon is 6ft 182 pounds. He played in the Western conference and was not bullied . In fact he thrived. The coach of the Mooseheads who is very familiar with both says Ehlers is faster than MacKinnon.

While nobody says Ehlers is as good as he is, the fact remains that if Mac Kinnon can thrive without being pasted, so will Ehlers. He is only 1/2 an inch and 6lbs lighter .

Ehlers will never make the NHL next year anyways. So he will be 6ft and 185 or 190 by time he gets to the 2015 camp.

I think too many people read too much into size. There have been no fights in the playoffs. There have been good hits but none where it knocked some guy out . When you have a chance to draft elite speed and skill, there would have to be some serious problem with the draftee that cannot be overlooked or fixed.

This is why I take him over Ritchie.

I agree that Ehlers is talented, but he's not 6th overall talented. Especially considering that we play in the West.

Firstly, I don't think comparing Giroux's stats to Ehlers' proves anything. Giroux wasn't even in the top 10 in scoring the season he scored 103 points in the QMJHL (2006) while this season (2014) Ehlers was 4th in league scoring with just 104 points. This disparity can be explained in two different ways:

1) that scoring was just as difficult in 2006 as 2014, but the talent level in the QMJHL in 2006 was higher than 2014. This would mean Giroux faced tougher competition to score roughly the same amount of points and thus his points should be valued more than Ehlers's.

OR

2) that the talent level in the QMJHL is about the same in 2006 and 2014, but scoring was a lot more difficult in 2014 than in 2006. This would mean Ehlers scored more goals despite it being tougher to score in the league and thus his points should be vahlued more than giroux's.

Not sure which is the case (or it could be a combination of both), but it goes to show you can't really compare Giroux's numbers from 2006 to Ehlers in 2014 then say they are equal in skill. IMO 8 years apart in a junior league means it may as well be a different league.

Another point is that this compares their draft years. A lot can happen since then, and nobody could have predicted Giroux to become what he is today, and for every Giroux, there's hundreds who range from serviceable NHLers to complete flops. In other words, even if Ehlers's points being identical to Giroux's supports your claim that Ehlers right now is the same as Giroux pre-draft day, there is a very slim chance Ehlers will become someone like Giroux - a top-5 scorer in this league (3rd this season).

Lastly, I don't think Giroux would be who he is if he played out in the West, which is where we play. In particular, the Pacific is dominated by big men down the middle - Getzlaf, Kopitar, Carter, Thornton, Kesler - heck even Henrik is 6'2". Giroux would not be scoring all those points if he had to go up against the players in the West IMO. In the West, Giroux would be (at best) a better version of Logan Couture, but nothing like his dominant self in the East. See the transition of Mike Richards from Philadelphia to LA. I think you can expect similar drop off and decrease in role for Giroux if he came to the West.

So I think Ehlers, for his sake, should be drafted by an Eastern conference team. I am not doubting his skills or size - he can play in the NHL and be a serviceable player. But you never know what will happen in the future, and fact is that we do need that #1 center with elite skill. It'll be a tough decision between Ehlers and Ritchie if the top 5 (Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl and Dal Colle) are gone.\

I like the effort but pretty flawed. Its like saying all the small players in the west would double their numbers in the east and all the players from the east would have a lot worse numbers in the west.

To challenge your logic Giroux only has to face the best centers in the NHL on a nightly bases: Crosby, Malkin, both Staals, Johansen, Tavares, and Richards. So would he really have it any harder in the west and the Pacific, especially with your size concern when Malkin, Staals, Johansen, Crobsby matches Getzlaf, Kopitar, Carter, Thornton, Kesler.

I have no idea why Ehlers threshold now is to lead an NHL franchise to a cup.

But to put an example into context lets use his predecessor. Nathan MacKinnon is 6ft 182 pounds. He played in the Western conference and was not bullied . In fact he thrived. The coach of the Mooseheads who is very familiar with both says Ehlers is faster than MacKinnon.

While nobody says Ehlers is as good as he is, the fact remains that if Mac Kinnon can thrive without being pasted, so will Ehlers. He is only 1/2 an inch and 6lbs lighter .

Ehlers will never make the NHL next year anyways. So he will be 6ft and 185 or 190 by time he gets to the 2015 camp.

I think too many people read too much into size. There have been no fights in the playoffs. There have been good hits but none where it knocked some guy out . When you have a chance to draft elite speed and skill, there would have to be some serious problem with the draftee that cannot be overlooked or fixed.

This is why I take him over Ritchie.

Are you sure you've been watching the playoffs? There have been many. The Ana-Dal series was full of them and the LA-SJS series had a few. Plus, physicality has been huge in every series.

And that's just a matter of opinion.

An equal, and equally valid, opinion could be that when you have the ability to draft a player with Ritchie's size/skill/speed combo then you do it. It's arguably even rarer and in my opinion it is.

If we don't take a risk on Ehlers, it could be a while before we have a chance at drafting a center with skill unless we tank next season as well. So there's that angle as well.

Then again, I would question the necessity of such a player: when is the last time you saw a center like Ehlers lead a team to the Stanley Cup?

Outside of Crosby & the 2009 Penguins (supported by Malkin and Staal - 6'3" and 6'4" respectively), the last time a team with a small but skilled #1 center was Anaheim in 2007 with Andy McDonald. Perhaps you can make an argument for Krejci (6'0" 188lbs) if Ehlers grows.

I think a lot of it depends on Ehlers's defensive play and his physicality. If he can play defense and somewhat physically like Krejci, I think Ehlers might be worth the pick over Ritchie.

now you're getting my point in your first sentence....other issue is Ehlers is a LW not a center (same size as another famous LW sniper we had a few years back)

:)

Anyone want to see how jacked this kid is? go to his twitter and look at the picture - shirt off

https://twitter.com/NikolajEhlers24/status/413721871604285440/photo/1

kid has an 8 pack not six...worried about strength? anyone who plays hockey knows where balance and strength come from, the core and legs, clearly he has leg strength given his speed....guy is a physical specimen

The Canucks wont draft Ehlers. They will put an emphasis on size, skill and toughness with the 6th overall pick.

I just don't see Ehlers as a Linden kind of player when it comes right down to it. He is going to want to draft players who can do it all... hit , skate and score. Ehlers is too one dimensional. End of story.

Yeah, Linden never had any success with small skilled speedy wingers, so why would he covet one in the draft?

Anyone want to see how jacked this kid is? go to his twitter and look at the picture - shirt off

https://twitter.com/NikolajEhlers24/status/413721871604285440/photo/1

kid has an 8 pack not six...worried about strength? anyone who plays hockey knows where balance and strength come from, the core and legs, clearly he has leg strength given his speed....guy is a physical specimen

Is that him on the bottom right?

Are you sure you've been watching the playoffs? There have been many. The Ana-Dal series was full of them and the LA-SJS series had a few. Plus, physicality has been huge in every series.

An equal, and equally valid, opinion could be that when you have the ability to draft a player with Ritchie's size/skill/speed combo then you do it. It's arguably even rarer and in my opinion it is.

I disagree and I wont digress to the 'are you sure you have been watchin' backhand either.

There has been hits. Lots. However, the number has been minuscule compared to the continual speed and skill plays The whole game is speed and skill. No fights. Pushing and shoving after the whistle around the goalie.

You think Ritchie is fast enough to keep up with this? You think Ritchie can outscore Ehlers? How does one paste Ehlers on the powerplay? Killing penalties? 4 on 4? None of those situations require hitting at all.

You draft Ritchie so you can have him fight and sit in the penalty box? You draft him so he can lay hits out ? I would far rather have a guy speeding up the ice and trying to make scoring plays and is far more useful in the other situations listed above.

Well at least I know none of you are our scouts and I’m glad by these terrible arguments. Im sure our team will pick a fine player regardless of Ehlers/Nylander/Ritchie/Virtanen or any of the top 5 that drop. Honestly you cant go wrong with any of them and if we have 1 too many big guys or if we need a skilled guy we can make that happen through trades and there’s always next years draft...

Yeah, Linden never had any success with small skilled speedy wingers, so why would he covet one in the draft?

Agreed. Linden has never played with smaller european speedsters /scoring stars. We dont covet those in Vancouver.

Oh wait . Look up. 3 out of the 4 numbers hanging from the rafters are guys under 6ft.

Sure if Ritchie was rare, his skill comes down to his shot and his shot only he does nothing else special with the puck. His speed is fine, but nothing special in the CHL in the NHL it is slow.

Yes he hits so do many other draft picks and yes he has size, but for many it the 230 pounds that gets them creaming their pants. He will not be playing at 230, maybe 220, more than likely 215 in the NHL.

Point is if he was rare he would be a number one overall, as is he is a risk at number 6.

I really like the kid think he is a smart choice at number 8 - 10, but a huge risk at number 6.

If the Canucks do take the risk I would be fine with that, the kid could be a project that plays off.

I disagree and I wont digress to the 'are you sure you have been watchin' backhand either.

There has been hits. Lots. However, the number has been minuscule compared to the continual speed and skill plays The whole game is speed and skill. No fights. Pushing and shoving after the whistle around the goalie.

You think Ritchie is fast enough to keep up with this? You think Ritchie can outscore Ehlers? How does one paste Ehlers on the powerplay? Killing penalties? 4 on 4? None of those situations require hitting at all.

You draft Ritchie so you can have him fight and sit in the penalty box? You draft him so he can lay hits out ? I would far rather have a guy speeding up the ice and trying to make scoring plays and is far more useful in the other situations listed above.

I definitely think Ritchie is fast enough to keep up with the play. I think he's better than just 'keeping up.'

I think Ritchie can do some things in a physical series that Ehlers can't. For sure. He can also score.

I don't think any reasonable person thinks that fighting will be the calling card of Ritchie's career. It'll be as a power forward on a top 2 line. Take a look at every team. The leading scorers aren't always or even usually their pure skill guys.

Again, I'm not knocking Ehlers but I think you're doing what you preach against which is criticizing Ritchie unduly in your argument for Ehlers.

If Ritchie was as great as many here like to praise him for, why is it not his name that is being mentioned by Tallon? Why is he not a no brainer pick for Mr. Trucalent Brian Burke?

Oh that's right, there is risk with him too! there is risk w every player folks!

People who want Ritchie seem to be implying no risk with him simply because he has size, well I don't think we want Alex Stojanov do we? Wouldn't we rather have Markus Naslund?

And NO I am not saying he is Stojanov, I am simply drawing people to the simple fact that there are no guarantees with size or lack thereof

Sure if Ritchie was rare, his skill comes down to his shot and his shot only he does nothing else special with the puck. His speed is fine, but nothing special in the CHL in the NHL it is slow.

Yes he hits so do many other draft picks and yes he has size, but for many it the 230 pounds that gets them creaming their pants. He will not be playing at 230, maybe 220, more than likely 215 in the NHL.

Point is if he was rare he would be a number one overall, as is he is a risk at number 6.

I really like the kid think he is a smart choice at number 8 - 10, but a huge risk at number 6.

If the Canucks do take the risk I would be fine with that, the kid could be a project that plays off.

That's the indisputable truth of every draft pick.

The point being that if he does get close to his ceiling then he will be exceptionally rare.

Archived