The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft #6

Royals123423

Dammit...

-_-

Ehlers hype is over for me. Dang it, I had it all planned out. I was going to wait for them to say "...From the Halifax Mooseheads" and then streak through the city... :(

Linden why do you have to SHUT ME DOWN.

He was just on GlobalBC to answer questions on the draft...

"... Focussing mainly on skill and size. Powerful and strong, dominant players that use their size to advance the play. The way the Canucks will be built for a long time" something like that.

6th Pick is going to be used on a bigger player, I suspect:

a.) Big Five (Leon Draisaitl, Michael Dal Colle, Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett - if any are avail)

b.) Brendan Perlini

c.) Nicholas Ritchie

d.) Alex Tuch

e.) Jake Virtanen

I seriously hope we go with Ehlers... but the Canucks will probably let me down. Again.

Well he's lied to global tv already once right? :P

Does anyone have some highlights of Ehlers? Doesn't seem like there are many videos on YouTube(could be because I've searched from my phone). Also, who is our scout out in the Q?

Ritchie seems like a safe and smart pick to me.

If Ritchie is at 6 I can't imagine us passing on him.

Most of the comparisons on this board for him are incorrect and from people who have obviously never seen him play.

To dispel a few myths:

- He is not slow. He is not a good skater for his size. He is a strong and quick skater who is not late to the ice he needs.

- He is not relying on his size to score. He has skill that stands alone. His shot is NHL quality, his reads are great, excellent hands, and he he has a nose for the net

- He isn't lazy. He's inconsistent but most players are. He does not have any off ice issues that have been published.

- He isn't a project. He's not far off now.

- He isn't like Kassian. He isn't like Lucic. He isn't like Hartnell. He's closer to Shanahan. A real classical throwback PWF.

I thought you preferred Perlini?

Ritchie just looks too promising with his speed and stick handling, and a quick accurate shot.

Then I heard someone mention Nick Ritchie has the potential to be unlike any player currently in the world and I think we need to take that gamble the more I thought about it.

Trade #6 and a prospect for a scorer. It always amazes me how many Canucks fans in one moment demand instant results (Stanley Cup now now now) but in the next moment trade NHL ready players for prospects that won't provide results for 3-5 years. It's like CDC has ADD. You know which teams are stacked with high end prospect talents? HINT: Take a look at the draft order from today.

Guys we need Ehlers, a pure offensive machine. Ritchie looks good in juniors but the risk of drafting big guys is that sometimes the offensive skills don't translate or translate very slowly. We don't need a god damn "its a process". I would rather take a hit or break considering we have enough of the Ritchie type of players already. Look at it this way, Ritchie probably won't make our top 6 right away so he will likely be on the third. Now he becomes just another grinding checker who provides grit and toughness because its hard to make an offensive impact as a checker.

Most of the comparisons on this board for him are incorrect and from people who have obviously never seen him play.

To dispel a few myths:

- He is not slow. He is not a good skater for his size. He is a strong and quick skater who is not late to the ice he needs.

- He is not relying on his size to score. He has skill that stands alone. His shot is NHL quality, his reads are great, excellent hands, and he he has a nose for the net

- He isn't lazy. He's inconsistent but most players are. He does not have any off ice issues that have been published.

- He isn't like Kassian. He isn't like Lucic. He isn't like Hartnell. He's closer to Shanahan. A real classical throwback PWF.

Haven't seen him play, but I've heard he's a lot like JVR. Would that be fair to say?

Haven't seen him play, but I've heard he's a lot like JVR. Would that be fair to say?

No, I wouldn't use that comparison. He's got the skill to be talked about in that sense but his physical game has a much greater edge to it.

JVR really was a bean pole when drafted and was a bit of a shock at his draft spot. He was then viewed as a tall, skinny kid with good hands and vision that could develop a physical game.

With Ritchie, the discussion isn't really about him needing to develop anything other than learning to do the same things every night. I think each of his skills are already existent but they all have room for even more growth, which is amazing.

Guys we need Ehlers, a pure offensive machine. Ritchie looks good in juniors but the risk of drafting big guys is that sometimes the offensive skills don't translate or translate very slowly. We don't need a god damn "its a process". I would rather take a hit or break considering we have enough of the Ritchie type of players already. Look at it this way, Ritchie probably won't make our top 6 right away so he will likely be on the third. Now he becomes just another grinding checker who provides grit and toughness because its hard to make an offensive impact as a checker.

If you are only thinking one or two years ahead then you are missing the point of drafting. Unlikely that anyone make the team from this draft.

Ehlers won't make the Canucks so it shouldn't matter if Ritchie does either. Ritchie is not a project or slow to develop. He isn't a project… he's a fully formed PWF.

Kassian and Ritchie play very different games.

To dispel a few myths:

Thanks for the perspective .. I am still 'shopping' .. i.e. learning.

It’s official, Panthers have the first pick. Sam Cosentino of Friday Night Hockey joins Ken Reid to unveil his 2014 NHL mock draft.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/cosentinos-2014-nhl-mock-draft/

Think we're taking Nylander?

I can't see it.

There's Monstrous Canadian Power wingers out there at 6 of our choosing. We won't roll the dice on small european skill Aqualini won't allow it.

I've seen Ehlers, Kapanen, and Nylander higlights. Ritchie has comparable pure skill compared to all of them with the hockey IQ as well. Add his speed and the fact he could become a 240lb player is disturbing on a line with Kassian.

Archived