The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[BOXING]Related discussion here!

Angry Goose

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LuckyLuciano said:

I put $100 on Cotto for this (underdog), but I don't think he wants GGG.

Canelo though I could see willing to fight Golovkin even if he loses tonight

Yeah Canelo has that about him, young enough that he doesn't seem to care who he fights. Who ever they put in front of him, he will go against without a problem. 

Cotto is top guy in my book, gave Mayweather a bloody nose and plenty of problems when they fought. I say Cotto's experience is the deciding factor. 

On 11/23/2015, 10:25:10, RRypien37 said:

Yup. I say he could take Mayweather at this point. 

well to be fair to Floyd he fights in a lower weight class than GGG.  I don't think he could get to welterweight without giving up alot of his strength that makes him so dominant.  

Finally watched Canelo/Cotto.  Pretty entertaining fight.  Cotto just didn't have the power to hurt Canelo even though he was right there point wise for much of the fight.  The fact that Canelo ate so many of Cotto's jabs and combinations makes me think he is either going to get wolloped by GGG, or have to make some big time adjustments.

6 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

well to be fair to Floyd he fights in a lower weight class than GGG.  I don't think he could get to welterweight without giving up alot of his strength that makes him so dominant.  

Finally watched Canelo/Cotto.  Pretty entertaining fight.  Cotto just didn't have the power to hurt Canelo even though he was right there point wise for much of the fight.  The fact that Canelo ate so many of Cotto's jabs and combinations makes me think he is either going to get wolloped by GGG, or have to make some big time adjustments.

I didn't think it was too entertaining tbh. A couple of great action packed moments, asides from that it was just OK.

Agreed on the GGG/Canelo comment. GGG will make him pay with early shots. 

I used to love boxing but there hasnt been a descent Heavy since Lennox retired...frankly I glad this Russian is gone....

DUESSELDORF, Germany -- Tyson Fury defeated Wladimir Klitschko by unanimous decision to end the Ukrainian's 9 1/2-year reign as heavyweight champion on Saturday and take his WBA, IBF, and WBO heavyweight titles.

After a bruising encounter that ended with cuts near both of Klitschko's eyes, referee Tony Weeks went to the judges' scorecards.

Cesar Ramos and Raul Caiz Sr. scored it 115-112 each, while Ramon Cerdan had it 116-111 in favour of the undefeated Briton (25-0, 18 KO).

Fury, 12 years younger than the 39-year-old Klitschko, taunted and baited the champion at various stages, prompting jeers from fans at the 55,000-seat soccer stadium in Duesseldorf.

Klitschko (64-4, 53 KO) was cautious until attempting a recovery in the final rounds, but suffered his first defeat since April 2004.

"I've said some stupid things," an emotional Fury said of his pre-fight talk and antics. "Wladimir, you're a great champion and thanks for having me. It was all fun and games in the buildup."

It was Klitschko's 28th title fight, but the premier heavyweight of this era relinquished the IBF belt he had held since 2006, the WBO title he'd owned since 2008, and the WBA crown he'd had since 2011.

The other major belt, the WBC's, was held by Deontay Wilder of the U.S. That was vacated in 2013 by Klitschko's older brother Vitali, who was the major of Kyiv.

Fury was itching to go from the start, and he ran into the first round to put Klitschko off kilter. The Briton took the liberty of goading Klitschko during and after the round.

Fury put his hands behind his back in the third round, though the defending champion improved in the next. Fury landed a big right on Klitschko in the fifth, when he opened a small cut under his right eye, and taunted him again.

The Briton's intensity seemed to drop as Klitschko improved, but still he needled him in the seventh, when he urged Klitschko to "come on" and baited him again with his hands behind his back, prompting more jeers.

Klitschko replied to an uppercut in the ninth with a big right of his own, before Fury was warned for punching the back of his head. But then he had Klitschko in trouble in the corner.

Klitschko needed a response, and sought it in the 10th, by which time there was blood coming from his left eye, too.

Fury had a point deducted for hitting behind the head in the 11th and both fighters gave their all in a furious final round before raising their arms in celebration. The Fury camp's celebrations seemed more sincere.

I watched the fight and it was brutal.  All Klitschko did was grapple, causing Fury to get repeated warnings and a point deducted for punching to the back of head.  When I first heard the name Tyson Fury I did not expect some chubby white British fighter but whatever glad the Klitschko's are out of boxing, for now.

Edited by Tre Mac

• 2 weeks later...

For a heavyweight championship fight it was fairly conservative from both sides.  Fury just kept Klitschko to the outside with his long reach and Klitschko didn't take many risks trying to get in on Fury.   Overall kinda boring.  And Fury is a goof.

Porter trying to make a fight with Thurman happen.