The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] 2014 Canucks. BUF-VAN, Re-signings, Signings

First steps need to be bring in Benning and Trotz

Trades

To BUF: Edler + Hansen + 2nd + 3rd + Schroeder

To VAN: Buffalo's 1st (2nd overall)

Buffalo gets: Speedy forwards and a great D-man to reunite with Erhoff and my prospects in their pool.

Vancouver gets: Super high pick. ( Either Ekblad or Reinheart )

Re-signs

Kassian - 3 Years @ $1.250 m

Archibald - 1 Year @ $0.726 m

Tanev - 2 Years @ $2.20 m

Weber - 1 Year @ $0.715 m

Sanotrelli - 2 Years @ $1.000 m

Signings

Iginla 1 Year @ $7.000 (Will hopefully be easier with Benning)

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Jarome Iginla ($7.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Zack Kassian ($1.251m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Mike Santorelli ($1.000m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m)
Darren Archibald ($0.726m) / Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Ryan Stanton ($0.550m)
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Frank Corrado ($0.591m) / Chris Tanev ($2.200m)
Yannick Weber ($0.715m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
BUYOUTS
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.13% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
------

With almost $5 m left in cap space. Obviously this will change if any prospects ( Horvat, Gaunce, Shinkaruk) is ready to make the leap.

I wouldn't mind the trade since I'm a Sabres fan, but I think it may be an overpayment for Ekblad or Reinhart. If it did happen, it would help the Sabres get to the cap floor. As things are right now, the Sabres are going to struggle to reach the overall salary cap minimum. Watch for them to grab an aging lower second tier free agent this summer and overpay him on a 2-3 year contract.

I don't think it is an overpayment. Elder's value is at an all time low currently and Hansen really does not have a place on the team with the likes over Burrows, Jensen, Kassian. With JS being a free agent he doesn't carry that muich value either.

I don't think it is an overpayment. Elder's value is at an all time low currently and Hansen really does not have a place on the team with the likes over Burrows, Jensen, Kassian. With JS being a free agent he doesn't carry that muich value either.

If the fan of the other team is telling you it's an overpayment, it's an overpayment. I think it is too, where Edler and Hansen should be enough, but throwing in extras might add 'value' but is hardly going to convince anyone.

I understand going for Iginla, but throwing more at him this year than he got last year is not that great an idea. He'll either want to come here or he won't so if we can't do it with $5.5-6M (if we have cap space, I'm fine with spending it to get someone) then no thanks.

If the fan of the other team is telling you it's an overpayment, it's an overpayment. I think it is too, where Edler and Hansen should be enough, but throwing in extras might add 'value' but is hardly going to convince anyone.

I understand going for Iginla, but throwing more at him this year than he got last year is not that great an idea. He'll either want to come here or he won't so if we can't do it with $5.5-6M (if we have cap space, I'm fine with spending it to get someone) then no thanks.

So then just do Hansen + Edler + JS (since he doesn't have a place on the team anymore)

Sign Iginla for $ 6.25M

So then just do Hansen + Edler + JS (since he doesn't have a place on the team anymore)

Sign Iginla for $ 6.25M

That's where things get squirly. It has been rumoured that Murray is asking for 2 top flight prospects for the second pick. Just throwing some veteran players in a deal won't get the job done and it's out of the question that the Canucks part with their best prospects. The Canucks have their own future to think about. When you add in a second round pick as well as a third on top of several veteran players, then you have an overpayment.

The Canucks are an unrealistic draft time trading partner for the Sabres this year. Murray is going for youth, plain and simple. He's going to overpay for a couple of UFA's to get the salary situation squared away. Unfortunately that may mean that Leino will be on the team for another season.

Seems like a fair deal for both teams honestly.

Edler Hansen Schroeder/2nd should be enough for that pick, but I wouldn't be opposed to throwing in the extra stuff you mentioned. People should keep in mind, Cory Schneider, a perennial all star, on a 2 year contract landed the 9th overall pick in what is predicted, and already started to show, to be one of the deepest drafts of all time. Edler, a perennial all star even though he was an all star a couple years back, on a 5 year contract, does have significant value. Add in a speedy winger line Hansen, who can be used pretty much on any bottom 3 lines as well as bring a veteran presence to a fairly young team, and on top 2 b level prospects (Schroeder and our 36th overall pick) as well as the third for added insurance, I think it's a mighty good deal for both sides. And as elvis15 says, if a sabers fan thinks it's an overpayment, you're probably in good territory.

Seems like a fair deal for both teams honestly.

Edler Hansen Schroeder/2nd should be enough for that pick, but I wouldn't be opposed to throwing in the extra stuff you mentioned. People should keep in mind, Cory Schneider, a perennial all star, on a 2 year contract landed the 9th overall pick in what is predicted, and already started to show, to be one of the deepest drafts of all time. Edler, a perennial all star even though he was an all star a couple years back, on a 5 year contract, does have significant value. Add in a speedy winger line Hansen, who can be used pretty much on any bottom 3 lines as well as bring a veteran presence to a fairly young team, and on top 2 b level prospects (Schroeder and our 36th overall pick) as well as the third for added insurance, I think it's a mighty good deal for both sides. And as elvis15 says, if a sabers fan thinks it's an overpayment, you're probably in good territory.

Schneider was never an all star in the NHL and Edler was an all star just once. You should look up the word "perennial" before using it in a sentence.

The trade is just not very good, the Sabres need high end forwards. This is a team that scored the fewest goals in the NHL last year and by a wide margin too. They need Reinhart a lot more than they need Edler + spare parts. Hansen hasn't had a very good year. Schroeder is useless to them. They already have Grigorenko, Girgensons, Ennis and Hodgson at center. I am assuming the 2nd and 3rd are 2014, so lesser picks in a poor draft. I would do this trade in a heartbeat if I was the Canucks which should probably tell you it isn't a very good deal. The best part about this deal is that the Canucks clear about 8m in cap and take back no salary. If your intent is to rebuild, that deal would be the best start.

That's where things get squirly. It has been rumoured that Murray is asking for 2 top flight prospects for the second pick. Just throwing some veteran players in a deal won't get the job done and it's out of the question that the Canucks part with their best prospects. The Canucks have their own future to think about. When you add in a second round pick as well as a third on top of several veteran players, then you have an overpayment.

That just means that the poster is reaching. He knows Edler and Hansen isn't enough so he throws in a bunch of picks to balance the value. This is the Sabres highest draft pick in years in also one of their most miserable seasons in years. I disagree that this an overpayment, and adding 2nd and 3rd round picks does not change that.

That just means that the poster is reaching. He knows Edler and Hansen isn't enough so he throws in a bunch of picks to balance the value. This is the Sabres highest draft pick in years in also one of their most miserable seasons in years. I disagree that this an overpayment, and adding 2nd and 3rd round picks does not change that.

It's all academic in any case. Like I said in a previous post, the Canucks are an unrealistic trading partner for the Sabres' draft pick this year. Murray is going for youth, plain and simple. The Canucks were the 6th worst performers this past season, so giving up the kind of young players that Murray wants for that pick would hurt the Canucks, especially if he wanted the sixth overall pick with it. Linden and/or his future GM won't be that insane. Garth Snow on the other hand..... lol

It's all academic in any case. Like I said in a previous post, the Canucks are an unrealistic trading partner for the Sabres' draft pick this year. Murray is going for youth, plain and simple. The Canucks were the 6th worst performers this past season, so giving up the kind of young players that Murray wants for that pick would hurt the Canucks, especially if he wanted the sixth overall pick with it. Linden and/or his future GM won't be that insane. Garth Snow on the other hand..... lol

I think in general the Sabres and the Canucks are terrible trade partners. Both teams require high end forwards. I agree with you that the Canucks won't be able to afford the asking price for that pick. If I were the Sabres I would ask for Horvat+ and I doubt the Canucks would consider that at all.

So other then the trade tp BUF everything is good?

Santorelli is a UFA, he played pretty decent for the Canucks. I think if you want to retain him you will have to give him more than 1m as just about any team that needs a depth forward could beat that offer.

I also think Tanev's excellent play this year warrants him being paid more than your average bottom pairing defenseman. I would offer something in 3-4m range, he deserves it and I think he will more than live up to that price tag.

Kassian is just starting to break out, if I were him I would want less term in that deal. So 3 years is a bit too much, a 1 or 2 year deal would probably be more desirable especially if you are only willing to pay 1.25m.

If that's all it takes to get the 2nd overall sign me up.

Santorelli is a UFA, he played pretty decent for the Canucks. I think if you want to retain him you will have to give him more than 1m as just about any team that needs a depth forward could beat that offer.

I also think Tanev's excellent play this year warrants him being paid more than your average bottom pairing defenseman. I would offer something in 3-4m range, he deserves it and I think he will more than live up to that price tag.

Kassian is just starting to break out, if I were him I would want less term in that deal. So 3 years is a bit too much, a 1 or 2 year deal would probably be more desirable especially if you are only willing to pay 1.25m.

1 year at $1.5-$2 million for Santorelli is just fine for me.

First steps need to be bring in Benning and Trotz

Trades

To BUF: Edler + Hansen + 2nd + 3rd + Schroeder

To VAN: Buffalo's 1st (2nd overall)

Buffalo gets: Speedy forwards and a great D-man to reunite with Erhoff and my prospects in their pool.

Vancouver gets: Super high pick. ( Either Ekblad or Reinheart )

Re-signs

Kassian - 3 Years @ $1.250 m

Archibald - 1 Year @ $0.726 m

Tanev - 2 Years @ $2.20 m

Weber - 1 Year @ $0.715 m

Sanotrelli - 2 Years @ $1.000 m

Signings

Iginla 1 Year @ $7.000 (Will hopefully be easier with Benning)

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Jarome Iginla ($7.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Zack Kassian ($1.251m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Mike Santorelli ($1.000m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m)

Darren Archibald ($0.726m) / Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Ryan Stanton ($0.550m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Frank Corrado ($0.591m) / Chris Tanev ($2.200m)

Yannick Weber ($0.715m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.13% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)

------

With almost $5 m left in cap space. Obviously this will change if any prospects ( Horvat, Gaunce, Shinkaruk) is ready to make the leap.

Buffalo doesn't need Edler, they need Reinhart.

Kassian should probably get more for a 3 year deal.

Same with Tanev.

Iginla is not coming here. A) Vancouver plays Calgary a lot and the teams are rivals. B) Vancouver is not a cup contender, at least it's not seen as one.

Also a Kesler, Iginla, Jensen line would be horrible (there'd be no passing), especially with the two passers on the first line.

The D-Pairings also: Hamhuis, Garrison, & Stanton on the left; Bieksa, Tanev, & Corrado on the right.

Archived