The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

So I really want to play a Skyrim-esque game that isnt Skyrim. Any recommendations?

Dragon Age, Witcher, and Fallout seem like the closest series that I have played. With DA I would go 1st and 3rd games, Witcher I would go 2 and 3, and Fallout I would go 3 and New Vegas. DA and Witcher are at least dealing with similar era and concepts.

Dragon Age, Witcher, and Fallout seem like the closest series that I have played. With DA I would go 1st and 3rd games, Witcher I would go 2 and 3, and Fallout I would go 3 and New Vegas. DA and Witcher are at least dealing with similar era and concepts.

Witcher 1 can be fun if you turn it into a point and click. It was actually my favourite of the series (yet to play 3).

So I really want to play a Skyrim-esque game that isnt Skyrim. Any recommendations?

Morrowind it's better than Skryim in nearly every way (just not in the graphic department). I've had it for years and I still just run around punching things.

I spent absurd amounts of time playing D2 and doing Baal runs. Loved that game. D3 has turned itself into a pretty good game too now, after a terrible start.

Diablo 2 was a great game, made me absurd amounts of money when I was in highschool. I quit playing D3 early on, maybe I'll have to give it another shot.

Witcher 1 can be fun if you turn it into a point and click. It was actually my favourite of the series (yet to play 3).

Morrowind it's better than Skryim in nearly every way (just not in the graphic department). I've had it for years and I still just run around punching things.

Morrowind is great. It's not like Skyrim today where they point you to the exact place where you're supposed to go. You actually have to figure things out and read stuff.

Although I think I'd love Morrowind, I think the graphics would make me scratch my eyes out. I can only manage games with at least Fallout 3 esque graphics +.

Anyhow, going to try Witcher 3. I stopped playing the 2nd after a while, as I got bored, but maybe it'll be better with all this hype.

I have no idea how good this game is (not even if it's half decent or not), but I've never been more enticed by an screenshot before.

02f5b924a33177716d4498d0190d6ee24595695b

https://www.gog.com/game/rebuild_3_gangs_of_deadsville

Some sort of fallout, Zombie survival strategy game. Made by some chick from BC, so the location makes sense.

Edit:

I found the first game in the series. It's a pretty fun flash game:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/sarahnorthway/rebuild

Apparently this 3rd game is more complex? As I said, I haven't played it.

Edited by g_bassi13

^^^^^^^^^^

Green Man Gaming will probably offer a deal for about 25% off. So if it truly is 80 bucks at release, you can probably get it for around 60 thru GMG.

That's far more reasonable, but it should be a sale of 25% off from $60 or $70, and not $80.

I think I may have vaguely recommended text based "choose your own" adventure games from the company, Choice of Games, somewhere on this forum or in this thread before. I've enjoyed their stuff in the past, and I say I only vaguely recommend them because you'd already know whether or not you'd be interested in a game that's gameplay boiled down to reading and making a continuous barrage of choices.

I've played a handful of their official games, which range from mediocre to fairly good, but they also host a bunch of games created from others based on their engine/source code, to be monetized by them.

I started playing one of them a couple of days ago called "Tin Star," and holy crap do I love it. the game is one probably the most complex choice and consequence simulator I have played through. While it has 10 chapters that contain individual storylines that are addressed in each play through, they can be navigated through and handled in so many different ways that you're legitimately creating your own story. Choices are compounded, and called back on throughout the game.

There's so much to see and do, and you can shape your motivations in nearly any manner, and temper your emotions to respond with whatever intentions you wish to reveal. It's not just about being good or evil. You could tie yourself to the success of your town, Massacre or befriend various Native clans, Mormon groups, gangs, etc. You could seek wealth. Fame. Love. Power. Prosperity. Law and Order.

You could work on your fighting and gun play, and just go around shooting everyone first without asking questions. Or you could develop your reputation and persuasive skills to talk your way out of or into, most situations. Characters carry individual personalities that you can play off of, and in some ways tweak. You could kill any of them ,at certain points. You can berade/create enmity with them through what you say or do, or befriend enough of them until you have a posse that will watch your back, and go out with you on your adventures.

The only defined thing tied to your character is that you become a US Marshal. My character was a female Chinese lawyer doctor. Why? Because I could be a female Chinese lawyer doctor. People in the world often responded appropriately, asking how a Chinese woman in the 1860's American West could be a doctor. Or a lawyer. Or a marshal, but nothing prevents you from proceeding as you wish when your reputation precedes you, or you've networked friendships to call on.

In short, it really felt like I was in the west, as it was well researched, and the immersion with each chapter was well crafted. It didn't take many liberties with what exactly the "wild west" really entailed, and plays up heavy adventure without feeding to much of into the mythology of it.

By the end of the game, I was able to be a shoot a lot of people, save the day, establish order, stabilize and promote my town, and retire to California with a educated Mexican Noble Woman as well as a short tempered daughter of a gang leader both living with me. Was a solid experience that I shortly summarized. The game itself. however, provides an incredibly long and detailed epilogue wrapping up your story, and touching on how you touched all the other characters in it through your actions.

It's not that it's a million plus words of well written storytelling on its own, it's that it's your story told the way you wanted, really only not being so when the consequences of your past actions prevent your desired future ones from being so. And that's pretty perfect. It goes far beyond what other "Choice of Games," entries have managed. It's longer, deeper, more complex. more responsive, and more fulfilling than their other works.

So there's a short spoiler free summary of the game. I do recommend this one pretty freely. $3 well spent.