The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll/ Discussion] Nylander vs. Ehlers; only 2 options for Canucks at #6

canucks155

Who should the Canucks draft at #6  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which highlights are u watching? The ones I see, he's speeding through the neutral zone and scoring or he's on the boards and lets go an amazing shot.

Now I realize that u have fallen in love w/ Nylander. You're making his cons look like pros. As far as whole "attitude" problem is concerned, Hodgson had the same problems and now look, he got sent to Buffalo.

I meant in terms of a player u build around. You will never see Ovi hoist the cup if he's a minus player and he's the best guy on the roster. Tavares can still improve his d play but Ovi looks completely unwilling to do so.

Did u really compare Nylander to Thornton? He may have had 11 goals, but he also had 65 assists.

So he can't put up points in the best div in Sweden but he's somehow supposed to put up 100+ points in the NHL. The best hockey league in the world. If he can't even put up any points in the SHL, than Sodertalje means nothing.

You're probably watching the same highlights me, you're just looking at it incorrectly. And him speeding through the neutral zone is pretty much exactly what I was saying lol.. And like I said, Nylander doesn't have attitude problems. How many times will I have to put it down your think skull? And why not compare Nylander to Thornton, you were pointing out how Nylander having 1 goal in 22 SHL games is bad, but look at Thornton, who is in a very similar scenario. We are talking abouty how many GOALS he scored. You have seem to forgotten about that. Plus, I never said he's supposed to be a 100+ point guy in the NHL, I said that he has the potential to be a 90+ point guy in the NHL so I don't know what you're talking about. Also, If Sodertalje means nothing, then the Halifax Mooseheads mean nothing as well. None of your statements add up.

We all look at videos and reviews and have our personal favorites and views. Personally I am happy that Benning is from a scouting family and has an inside track on scouting. He is way way better than we are at judging talent. It is still a bit of a crap shoot, but I think we have the right guy making the calls.

We all look at videos and reviews and have our personal favorites and views. Personally I am happy that Benning is from a scouting family and has an inside track on scouting. He is way way better than we are at judging talent. It is still a bit of a crap shoot, but I think we have the right guy making the calls.

Lets hope so....only the scouts have seen these young players in the flesh.....and know the intangibles...To me,Nylander has Canucks written all over him...I thought this before the U18 and the combine....almost like there is a destiny ( although I have been wrong before).

You're probably watching the same highlights me, you're just looking at it incorrectly. And him speeding through the neutral zone is pretty much exactly what I was saying lol.. And like I said Nylander doesn't have attitude problems? How many time will I have to put it down your think skull? And why not compare Nylander to Thornton, you were pointing out how Nylander having 1 goal in 22 SHL games is bad, but look at Thornton, who is in a very similar scenario. We are talking abouty how many GOALS he scored. You have seem to forgotten about that. Plus, I never said he's supposed to be a 100+ point guy in the NHL, I said that he has the potential to be a 90+ point guy in the NHL I don't know what you're talking about. Also, If Sodertalje means nothing, then the Halifax Mooseheads mean nothing as well. None of your statements add up.

I mean in terms of u saying most of his goals are off of primary assists from Drouin which isn't entrily true as he speeds by dmen and snipes one.

*thick. Learn to spell. Nylander has been reported to have many attitude problems:

http://oilersnation.com/2014/4/24/william-nylander

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2014/6/7/5784268/hw-staff-mock-draft-pick-11

Like I said b4, Thornton also had the 2nd most assists in the NHL, 2nd only to the best player in the world. Nylander had 7 points in 22 games. Thornton is noted to be a playmaker and doesn't score much, but he makes up for it w/ ridiculous assist numbers. Nylander gets 1 goal w/ only 6 assists. It's borderline insulting to compare the 2 in any way.

Well, there are a lot of ppl saying that he'll be scoring that much. Lol, u think he's going to have over 90+ points in the NHL? That might be dumbest thing you've said... Nylander = 60+ points and Ehlers = 70+ points IMO. We have to wait and see tho.

Can u read? I said Sotertajle means nothing because it's not the best league in Sweden, SHL is. I also said #'s don't tell the whole story altho, 7 points in 22 games is alarming, even if he is a 17yo.

Maybe if you improved your reading, you could see u misinterpreted my whole comment...

I mean in terms of u saying most of his goals are off of primary assists from Drouin which isn't entrily true as he speeds by dmen and snipes one.

*thick. Learn to spell. Nylander has been reported to have many attitude problems:

Like I said b4, Thornton also had the 2nd most assists in the NHL, 2nd only to the best player in the world. Nylander had 7 points in 22 games. Thornton is noted to be a playmaker and doesn't score much, but he makes up for it w/ ridiculous assist numbers. Nylander gets 1 goal w/ only 6 assists. It's borderline insulting to compare the 2 in any way.

Well, there are a lot of ppl saying that he'll be scoring that much. Lol, u think he's going to have over 90+ points in the NHL? That might be dumbest thing you've said... Nylander = 60+ points and Ehlers = 70+ points IMO. We have to wait and see tho.

Can u read? I said Sotertajle means nothing because it's not the best league in Sweden, SHL is. I also said #'s don't tell the whole story altho, 7 points in 22 games is alarming, even if he is a 17yo.

Maybe if you improved your reading, you could see u misinterpreted my whole comment...

Is junoir the best league in the NA? No, so i guess whatever Ehlers did means nothing cause thats the way ur putting it. Also, isn't there only 1 assist per goal in Sweden, that could've eliminated a lot of points for Nylander

Are you stupid? Since when was having your stats pumped up because of playing with a certain talented player a good thing? He's being playing with Drouin, that's the only reason why his stats are so high. If you take away all of his goals and assists that Drouin was involved with, Whether he scored a goal that Drouin assisted, or vice versa, he only has 74 points. Now that doesn't look so impressive now does it? No. In fact, its mediocre. And how does getting many points with Drouin mean he could be a great line mate with a decent NHLer? The two do not connect. And Drouin is going to be much better than a "decent NHLer", so I don't know what the hell you're talking about. And according to your pathetic logic, being a minus player means it would not be a compliment to a young prospect if he were to be compared to you. Well I'm sorry, but its damn hard for Alex Ovechkin to be a plus player when Mike Green is on his top 2 defense pair.. and his whole team knows NOTHING about defence. And Toronto is just Toronto. And also, Alex Ovechkin, Phil Kessel, John Tavares, Taylor Hall, Nicklas Backstrom, Erik Karlsson, Jason Spezza, Jordan Eberle and Kyle Okposo were all minus players during the regular season. So please tell me that it wouldn't be a compliment to be compared to anyone of the people I have listed above. It would really show how ignorant and stupid you are. Not to mention, all of those players above are superstars in the NHL (minus Okposo). Jeff Skinner and even Ryan O Reilly, who is actually a good defensive player, are minus players. And Jeff Skinner is a 30 goal scorer. And whats better? Playing with men who may not be quite good enough to play in the NHL, or play with a bunch of boys who are your same age. Nylander has been playing with men over in Sweden, and most of them are twice his age. Let Ehlers go over there, and produce at a PPG rate like Nylander.. IN that league of MEN. He would be lost. And since when was not going to the dirty areas a bad sign? That's just not his playstyle. What the hell do you want him to do? Stand in front of the net and hope for deflections? And you say that as if Ehlers is goes to the dirty areas much either. Ehlers uses his speed to score goals and make plays. It's not like he drives to the net with power and authority or anything like that. Nylander is the cleary the better choice out of the two. Anyone who thinks differently, has clearly not put his mind in the best interest of the tea

Have you ever tried having a respectable debate without calling someone names. Give it a try, It will lead credibility to your argument. Name calling aside, I just don't agree that you have to overlook Ehlers mindblowing stats because he had one good team mate. Canucks management has to go with the facts.

With regards to Ovechkin and Kessel: what good is having player score 50 goals if he's a -35 or -5. They're not having a favourable impact on the wins and losses so I would avoid a player like them if it meant getting someone who is great at offensive and defensive production.

I expect another 500 word essay on my desk by tomorrow.

It is hard to pass up on a guy like Ritchie. He is not just big and tough - his skill is very underrated and he lead his team in goals and points by a fairly wide margin. Can't even say that about Nash or Horton.

If Nylander and Ehlers end up being 2nd/3rd line tweeners they will have trouble sticking around. Ritchie on the other hand has the ceiling of a 1st liner but at worst he would be like a Mike Rupp type player (which sucks, but at least I think his chances of being an NHLer are very high).

Is junoir the best league in the NA? No, so i guess whatever Ehlers did means nothing cause thats the way ur putting it. Also, isn't there only 1 assist per goal in Sweden, that could've eliminated a lot of points for Nylander

I've already said I don't care about metrics too much. Throw away both guys' numbers and I still think Ehlers is better purely based on his skill set because speed > skill.

I'm not sure if they do it like that, but I'd honestly like to see the NHL do that

Have you ever tried having a respectable debate without calling someone names. Give it a try, It will lead credibility to your argument. Name calling aside, I just don't agree that you have to overlook Ehlers mindblowing stats because he had one good team mate. Canucks management has to go with the facts.

With regards to Ovechkin and Kessel: what good is having player score 50 goals if he's a -35 or -5. They're not having a favourable impact on the wins and losses so I would avoid a player like them if it meant getting someone who is great at offensive and defensive production.

I 100% agree

It is hard to pass up on a guy like Ritchie. He is not just big and tough - his skill is very underrated and he lead his team in goals and points by a fairly wide margin. Can't even say that about Nash or Horton.

If Nylander and Ehlers end up being 2nd/3rd line tweeners they will have trouble sticking around. Ritchie on the other hand has the ceiling of a 1st liner but at worst he would be like a Mike Rupp type player (which sucks, but at least I think his chances of being an NHLer are very high).

His team was garbage, or at least that's what everybody one here is saying. Btw, he may have lead goals by quite a margin, but not points. He only had 5 more points than 2nd place Hunter Garlent; he also had a +26 as well and not Ritchie's +4. I don't care about stats too much tho. It takes a lot to impress me based purely on stats

IMO, Nylander and Ehlers are pretty much locks for the top 6 and can be 1st liners too, if they get bigger (height or weight). I think Ritchie isn't going to be good in the NHL. Carries around to many problems: too heavy, injuries and inconsistent.

You're probably watching the same highlights me, you're just looking at it incorrectly. And him speeding through the neutral zone is pretty much exactly what I was saying lol.. And like I said Nylander doesn't have attitude problems? How many time will I have to put it down your think skull? And why not compare Nylander to Thornton, you were pointing out how Nylander having 1 goal in 22 SHL games is bad, but look at Thornton, who is in a very similar scenario. We are talking abouty how many GOALS he scored. You have seem to forgotten about that. Plus, I never said he's supposed to be a 100+ point guy in the NHL, I said that he has the potential to be a 90+ point guy in the NHL I don't know what you're talking about. Also, If Sodertalje means nothing, then the Halifax Mooseheads mean nothing as well. None of your statements add up.

wat

This whole thread that Nylander and Ehlers are the only options for the Canucks at 6 is based solely on the posters wishes and has nothing to do with reality. I can assure you that Benning and his team are very much looking at other possibilities along with these 2 players and Virtanen and Ritchie are definitely under consideration. If I had to bet I would say it is between Nylander and Virtanen.

Trashing Ritchie because he is not the player you want is a little off base. The guy has a wicked shot, moves extremely well for a big man and if he pans out is a very rare commodity in the NHL, a 230 lb beast who can shoot and skate. Saying he wont be able to compete because there are other big players in the NHL is a bit silly. He is 18. I have to think when he is in his early 20s he could be pretty strong and hard to deal with. He is well beyond Kassian in skill and potential.

I do have to ask a question for the posters in all these threads who are fixated on Ehlers and Nylander as the end all. Have you not had enough of the Canucks being manhandled and pushed around in the western conference, even worse in the playoffs?? I am tired of it and am very ok with some big skilled bruising Canadian payers that win in the playoffs. I am open minded about Nylander and his upside (not that he doesn't come with risks as every prospect does) but I have no problem with Virtanen or Ritchie. A 169 lb Dane no thanks.

And for those who keep repeating that Benning wants skill, he also made it clear is he well aware he has to compete with the "heavy teams in the Pacific Division"

Keep an open mind.

You're the only who cant read here. I didn't say he was going to have 90+ points in the NHL. I said he has the POTENTIAL too. Let me say that again. POTENTIAL. You said Sodertalje means nothing because it's not the best league in Sweden. The league that Sodertalje is in, is obviously better than the QMJHL lol... And if your inteligent, you would know that as a 17/18 year old who is just coming up, he would obviously be getting 3rd and 4th line minutes.

This whole thread that Nylander and Ehlers are the only options for the Canucks at 6 is based solely on the posters wishes and has nothing to do with reality. I can assure you that Benning and his team are very much looking at other possibilities along with these 2 players and Virtanen and Ritchie are definitely under consideration. If I had to bet I would say it is between Nylander and Virtanen.

Trashing Ritchie because he is not the player you want is a little off base. The guy has a wicked shot, moves extremely well for a big man and if he pans out is a very rare commodity in the NHL, a 230 lb beast who can shoot and skate. Saying he wont be able to compete because there are other big players in the NHL is a bit silly. He is 18. I have to think when he is in his early 20s he could be pretty strong and hard to deal with. He is well beyond Kassian in skill and potential.

I do have to ask a question for the posters in all these threads who are fixated on Ehlers and Nylander as the end all. Have you not had enough of the Canucks being manhandled and pushed around in the western conference, even worse in the playoffs?? I am tired of it and am very ok with some big skilled bruising Canadian payers that win in the playoffs. I am open minded about Nylander and his upside (not that he doesn't come with risks as every prospect does) but I have no problem with Virtanen or Ritchie. A 169 lb Dane no thanks.

And for those who keep repeating that Benning wants skill, he also made it clear is he well aware he has to compete with the "heavy teams in the Pacific Division"

Keep an open mind.

Lol, u lose credibility when u say it's between Nylander and Virtanen. Virtanen won't even go in the top 10, hell, he may not even go in the top 15.

You're the only who cant read here. I didn't say he was going to have 90+ points in the NHL. I said he has the POTENTIAL too. Let me say that again. POTENTIAL. You said Sodertalje means nothing because it's not the best league in Sweden. The league that Sodertalje is in, is obviously better than the QMJHL lol... And if your inteligent, you would know that as a 17/18 year old who is just coming up, he would obviously be getting 3rd and 4th line minutes.

Everybody has POTENTIAL to score 90+ points. Does anybody but Crosby do it? No. Nylander isn't ever going to get more than 80 points in the league and neither is Ehlers IMO.

Oh, so you're intelligent? Sure looks like what you've implied, even tho u cant spell the damn word and are pretty arrogant in all your posts.

This is probably the 5th time I've said this, STATS DON'T MEAN S*** to me. You keep bringing them up tho

I love how you're only talking about Ovechkin and Kessel and compltely ignoring the other 9 players I listed in that post that are minus players. And now, scoring 50 goals, and being the only one on your team who really does anything besides your 1st line centre, means you're not having a favourable impact on wins and losses? Is hockey not a team sport? One excellent player can't make a team that's bad into a good team. If their respective teams are poor and non playoff teams, which all of teams of the total 11 players in that post are (minus O Reilly), that one player cannot simply put the team on his pack, and magically turn it into a good team. The +/- stat is much more of a team stat, than it is an individual player stat. For e.g, Johnny Boychuk, Dustin Penner, Matt Bartkowski, and Ben Lovejoy are +31, +25, +22, and +21. Are any of them "good players"? No. Boychuk, Penner, and Lovejoy are average players, while Bartkowski is a youngster who is trying to make a name for himself. Why is their +/- so high? Because they are all on great teams. Boychuk and Bartkowski are in Boston and Penner spent the majority of his season in Anaheim, while Lovejoy spent the whole season in Anaheim. See where I'm coming from?

I love how you're only talking about Ovechkin and Kessel and compltely ignoring the other 9 players I listed in that post that are minus players. And now, scoring 50 goals, and being the only one on your team who really does anything besides your 1st line centre, means you're not having a favourable impact on wins and losses? Is hockey not a team sport? One excellent player can't make a team that's bad into a good team. If their respective teams are poor and non playoff teams, which all of teams of the total 11 players in that post are (minus O Reilly), that one player cannot simply put the team on his pack, and magically turn it into a good team. The +/- stat is much more of a team stat, than it is an individual player stat. For e.g, Johnny Boychuk, Dustin Penner, Matt Bartkowski, and Ben Lovejoy are +31, +25, +22, and +21. Are any of them "good players"? No. Boychuk, Penner, and Lovejoy are average players, while Bartkowski is a youngster who is trying to make a name for himself. Why is their +/- so high? Because they are all on great teams. Boychuk and Bartkowski are in Boston and Penner spent the majority of his season in Anaheim, while Lovejoy spent the whole season in Anaheim. See where I'm coming from?

Can u space your words out better or better yet, condense your info? So hard to read...

Everybody has POTENTIAL to score 90+ points. Does anybody but Crosby do it? No. Nylander isn't ever going to get more than 80 points in the league and neither is Ehlers IMO.

Oh, so you're intelligent? Sure looks like what you've implied, even tho u cant spell the damn word and are pretty arrogant in all your posts.

This is probably the 5th time I've said this, STATS DON'T MEAN S*** to me. You keep bringing them up tho

"even tho u can't spell a damn word"

though*, you*

I spell just fine, so I don't know where you're coming from. And you out of all people want to tell me I can't spell? Alright then.

Archived