The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll/ Discussion] Nylander vs. Ehlers; only 2 options for Canucks at #6

canucks155

Who should the Canucks draft at #6  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ehlers is my vote. As a rookie in a new country, a new league he put up over a 100 points and almost 50 goals. I know it's the Q, but that's damn impressive. And he didn't play with Drouin... only the PP I think. He will be the best offensive player out of this draft in the NHL. I guarantee! :bigblush:

Yes very impressive, but If Nylander played in the Q he would have gotten about 120 points playing against kids his age :bigblush:

Ehlers is 6'0 and can flat out play. He's basically a bigger Nylander, who's already accustomed to the NA ice surface and playing style. Plus he won't bring the daddy issues Nylander has...

A bigger Nylander ?....Ehlers towers over Nylander by an inch...The big difference is Nylander is 15lbs heavier....

As good as Ehlers and MDC look, this team needs a future center. We've had success with Swedes before so I wouldn't be surprised if we take Nylander. If he's gone in the top-5, we really should draft the best player who would be MDC. As it stands we've got a couple of big future powerforwards (Jensen and Kassian) and one skilled winger in Shinkaruk, with a couple of gritty middle-6 centers (Horvat and Gaunce) but we lack a skilled center who can put up a point per game in the NHL.

Either we get him through a trade with Kesler, trade up to pick Reinhart or grab Nylander. We've got no one to replace Henrik and Kesler right now and that has to be our #1 priority at this draft, either through picking a skilled center or trade.

Why would it just be between these two, I think it's probably between Ritchie and nylander!

Agreed...Ehlers has slipped off the radar a bit..I couldn't really find any interviews or anything from the combine with him...Ritchie would still have to be a 6-9 pick IMO

I would be very happy with any player that does not dive, takes a hit to make a play, goes to the net with authority, makes the right play at the right time, can control the flow of the game, is clutch in the playoffs.

Does that sound like any player in this years draft, if there is one take that player, if the Canucks can't get him at number 6 then they need to move up to take them.

If they play their cards right the Canucks can walk away with the 1st, 6th, and 10th picks this year.

Those are the hard choices they must make, they only makes those choices once they know what Kesler wants.

They could come out of the draft with a #1 centre a power forward, and a skilled winger, imagine all the complaints from the fans regarding a core being dismantled, fingers would be pointing as angry fans look for a target when they realize the team well be weaker for a few years waiting for new players to develop.

The hunger the youth would infuse well be nice to see, might really see some veterans play hard again, might even solve some of the speed vs size vs skill arguments for the short term, unless they pick the wrong skill guy that is.

I like to live in the real world. You know, the world which won't see Reinhart fall out of the top 3 or Dal Colle/Draisaitl fall out of the top 5. MAYBE Dal Colle, but even that is a stretch.

I gave my reasons for saying these were the only 2 options in the original post. (Benning wants speed and skill) Virtanen brings speed but no skill, Ritchie brings avg speed and no skill.

Am sorry but that is your ideal world. In a real world, not everything goes according to plan. Maybe Burke will pick Virtanen due to his size or Edmonton goes off-board and picks Ehler. You don't really know what the top 5 in this draft will be like so please refrain from making threads that make it seem like a guarantee that the Canucks will pick certain players. If any one of the the consensus top 5 drop (I said consensus), everything could change.

A bigger Nylander ?....Ehlers towers over Nylander by an inch...The big difference is Nylander is 15lbs heavier....

Well, if a player is 5'11 and the other is 6'0, one of them is called undersized and the other is considered avg by the media. 1 inch may not be a huge deal but he is bigger and faster than him.

Why would it just be between these two, I think it's probably between Ritchie and nylander!

Ritchie is fast for his size, but he's not "fast or skilled," which is what Benning wants the team to be like. Ehlers and Nylander fit the bill for who Benning wants the team to be composed of.

As good as Ehlers and MDC look, this team needs a future center. We've had success with Swedes before so I wouldn't be surprised if we take Nylander. If he's gone in the top-5, we really should draft the best player who would be MDC. As it stands we've got a couple of big future powerforwards (Jensen and Kassian) and one skilled winger in Shinkaruk, with a couple of gritty middle-6 centers (Horvat and Gaunce) but we lack a skilled center who can put up a point per game in the NHL.

Either we get him through a trade with Kesler, trade up to pick Reinhart or grab Nylander. We've got no one to replace Henrik and Kesler right now and that has to be our #1 priority at this draft, either through picking a skilled center or trade.

I don't see Nylander becoming that. I see him as a 2nd line center who puts up 50+ points/season but not much more. He has too many drawbacks to be a 1st liner.

Ritchie will be the pick LA is showcasing why bruin hockey wins.

LA is winning because they got Gaborik at the deadline and now he's leading the playoffs in goals and has lifted the LA offense. If they didn't have Gaborik, they wouldn't be 1 win away from the Cup. Gaborik brought the SPEED they needed to compliment the size they already had.

Btw, the Bruins got beat by the Habs, the same Habs who have limited size. So, no, there;s no particular style that's dominant.

Again, Benning said he wanted speed and skill, 2 things Ritchie doesn't bring...

I don't see Nylander becoming that. I see him as a 2nd line center who puts up 50+ points/season but not much more. He has too many drawbacks to be a 1st liner.

Basing this one what? Your infinite hockey knowledge?

Archived