The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign D Chris Tanev

Subban showed us that bridge contracts can be dangerous for a team's long term, but in Benning's case he took two gambles on Kassian and Tanev that could really go either way, and they're quite low risk considering how much cap space we'll have once Vbrata's term runs out.

Tanev is unlikely to command north of 5M after one season (he'd need to put up 40-50 points which is quite unlikely), and this year will let us see how Sbisa, Stanton and Weber pan out as younger defencemen.

I don't think I'd call Tanev a gamble at this point, I think we've already seen what he brings consistently. The only thing I'd be concerned about is injuries, but he's still young, and (hopefully) there will less shot blocking next season. I think he would have commanded 2.5-3mil on the open market.

I actually don't think 40pts is too outrageous. Will it likely happen? No. But he was on pace for 25pts last season and has been improving offensively every year. At 24 he's at that age where D-men in the NHL often break out. Tanev was always a late bloomer and has more to show / give I strongly suspect.

He got pretty much no PP time last season so if he adds 5-10pts in pure "offensive development" and gets significant PP time (so add another 5-10pts?) suddenly 40pts doesn't seem so outrageous. As long as the Canucks PP doesn't tank again. Though again I doubt it, but who knows, maybe he thinks he can do it and wants to cash in.

Yeah, Tanev's offense (specifically his ability to make a crisp, accurate pass) is pretty underrated. I'd like to see him get some PP time, as I do think he's young enough (especially given that we know he's a late bloomer) to significantly improve his offense. His outstanding hockey sense will help him greatly in this regard.

Yeah, Tanev's offense (specifically his ability to make a crisp, accurate pass) is pretty underrated. I'd like to see him get some PP time, as I do think he's young enough (especially given that we know he's a late bloomer) to significantly improve his offense. His outstanding hockey sense will help him greatly in this regard.

Agreed. Tanev got hardly any offensive zone time with us having Garry, Hammer, Bieksa and Edler.

With Garry gone he is bound to get some PP time.

Tanev is also an underrated skater.

Archived