The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign D Chris Tanev

I really hope we hang on to tanev. A trade for Myers would suck, I think he is entirely overrated. 2nd tallest guy in the league and biggest feline

Tanev isn't exactly My Rambunctious is he. lets be honest here Tanev doesn't bring a lot of scoring, he intimidates no one and he's underweight which = injuries. He is also Cody Hodgson 2.0 in that his father believes he can walk on water...hence the difficulty every time Vcr comes to re sign him and if you think he's bad now wait until his RFA runs out...assuming he's still playing and hasn't been obliterated by some one like Lucic by then. He's a good player, not a great player and is undersized for the style he plays. I like his skill set but seems like he's a difficult player to placate. I wouldn't hesitate to move him for the right piece

they were probably far apart on the salary, he agrees to take less $ for a 1 year deal to show what he can do.

Again though? His last contract was a "prove what he can do" and in my books earned a 3-4 year deal.

Him and Hammer have been our best defence men for a while now. They aren't consistent offensive threats but consistently playing good to great D.

I have a feeling that Tanev's camp is probably unhappy with him being the number 4 in vancouver hence the 1 way contract. It's more than likely he will get moved at some point

I think he earned a 1-way deal with his play. I don't think it was ever a consideration for Tanev to be signed on a 2-way deal, especially after rejecting the qualifying offer and considering how his play compares to other NHLers. I don't think the fact his deal is a way 1-way contract has any bearing on whether Tanev will be moved, his position behind more established defensemen, or his happiness.

I think he earned a 1-way deal with his play. I don't think it was ever a consideration for Tanev to be signed on a 2-way deal, especially after rejecting the qualifying offer and considering how his play compares to other NHLers. I don't think the fact his deal is a way 1-way contract has any bearing on whether Tanev will be moved, his position behind more established defensemen, or his happiness.

i'm fairly sure the poster you're quoting meant to say 1 year, not 1 way.

According to cap geek Tanev will be an RFA at the end of this 1 year $2 million dollar deal.

Its my theory that Benning signed Tanev and Kassian cheaper than they could otherwise get with the promise he moves guys out so they can get bigger $$$ later.

In my opinion we need to move both Hamhuis and Edler out to get the best packages for them . If the team starts to falter, its these 2 who will be asked to move.

Ya there was no doubt that any deal he got would be 1way...

Tanev isn't exactly My Rambunctious is he. lets be honest here Tanev doesn't bring a lot of scoring, he intimidates no one and he's underweight which = injuries. He is also Cody Hodgson 2.0 in that his father believes he can walk on water...hence the difficulty every time Vcr comes to re sign him and if you think he's bad now wait until his RFA runs out...assuming he's still playing and hasn't been obliterated by some one like Lucic by then. He's a good player, not a great player and is undersized for the style he plays. I like his skill set but seems like he's a difficult player to placate. I wouldn't hesitate to move him for the right piece

I'd love to see:

A source quoting Tanev's dad relating to anything about Tanev's contract situation

A source quoting NHL players relating to how Tanev intimidates no-one

A source quoting how its been difficult to re-sign Tanev "every time"

The rest is opinion and conjecture, but the above points you made seem, to me at least, to be based on your own imaginings.

Could also have been one year to keep the cap hit down. If he signed for a longer term, it would have been a larger hit.

This makes lots of sense: we'll see. If so, it suggests that the negotiation was collegial unlike last year, that is, the exact opposite of what many people are saying here.

He's been working on putting on some muscle and has been a plus player who is very sound...shows a lot of composure/little panic with the puck. Mr. Rambunctious doesn't always pan out because those guys can expend a lot of energy running around...play your position well and it can eliminate the need for that. This difficult/Dad stuff? Not seeing/buying it...of course, every player and their family pushes for the best and this deal in no way exceeds his worth. So much ado about nothing? I hate when people create drama...it's hockey, not As The Puck Turns.

Tanev has great hockey iq. That can't be taught.

He makes his teammates better when he's on the ice.

This is still a team game isn't it?

I would be surprised to see Tanev traded once the Coaches and Benning actually see him play.

Like Burrows, his value to a team is higher than his trade value.

For people who criticize Tanev's offensive abilities, consider this, for 5 on 5 situations:

-Tanev had the 2nd best realtive CF% on the team for defenseman (Stanton being the first, perhaps due to less ice time), at 0.7% (no one had the greatest numbers). However, that means when Tanev was on the ice more shots were being directed at the opponents nets than at Vancouver's net (which was not the case with Edler, Garrison, or Weber).

-Tanev had the 2nd best GF% on the team for defenseman (Hamhuis being first), meaning when he's on the ice the team's more likely to score.

-Tanev had the 2nd best Sh% for defenseman on the team (though he doesn't shoot as often).

-Tanev was 1st for defenseman on the team in on ice SV%, which suggests he gives up the least quality shots.

^He did all this starting 44.8% of his starts in the defensive zone, lowest offensive zone start percentage for defenseman on the team.

Archived