The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Benning's remake of Canucks an uncluttered picture

Ossi Vaananen

Missed the 'hard to replace' assessment?

Missed the pretty obvious lip service?

Any departing player worth an NHL contract is "hard to replace".

We were still a President's cup winning, high scoring machine the year after Ehrhoff left for Buffalo. Salo was in fact arguably an even better partner for Edler.

2010-11

Ehrhoff : 14g 36a 50pts

Bieksa:: 6g 16a 22 pts

In 2010-11 Ehrhoff was the sixth best scoring d man in the NHL,ahead of notables such as Weber.Letang,Keith,Karlsson,Seabrook,Chara,Doughty,Subban,etc..

Ehrhoff-#6 in the NHL

Bieksa-# 76 in the NHL

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20102011&gameType=2&team=&position=D&country=&status=&viewName=summary#

Lets look at hindsight since the trade.

Ehrhoff

192 gp 87 p

Earned 22 million

plus and additional 12 million over the next 14 years for the buyout

Bieska

190 gp 80 p

Earned 16.5 million

The fact that your arguing that we should have re-signed a player that was just bought out just proves you don't know what your talking about. Ehrhoff was not worth the money that he was going to command. Gillis was smart in letting the Ehrhoff walk, his replacement choices (gragnani, ballard) on the other hand weren't so smart.

Market value for his points production was $9 million per season.

Gillis demanded he take Bieksa's contract and berated him when he did not accept it- $4m less than market value.

Gillis refused to negotiate.

The free market world operates in a fair and efficient manner and players do not have to acquiesce to bullies on demand.

Come again???

The highest defencemen cap hit in 2011-12 was Weber who only was getting 7.5. You think Ehrhoff deserved 9?? He definitely wasn't worth more than the leagues MVP that year who took home 6.2 million.

the point is.... Canucks again won the PT the year after we let Ehrhoff go, but we would have kept ehrhoff on the roster paying him 9 million a season.. he obviously would have been the key that kept canucks from loosing to the kings in 5 games that post season.

I think that's the point.....

Yeaaaaah... I'm gonna have to disagree with that "point". ;)

i still think miller was a mistake....prove me wrong miller...

Mistake might be a bit strong but I think his signing was an over reaction. I would have been far happier spending ~2/3 of that money upgrading our D and the rest on a journeyman tender.

I think that's the point.....

The point is -Reinhart,Salo,Lumme and Ehrhoff all led this team to varying degrees of success as our PMD's.

You don't win squat without one ,as the last four years have illustrated.

Now that Benning is in command the team will find and sign a PMD and contend once again.

The point is -Reinhart,Salo,Lumme and Ehrhoff all led this team to varying degrees of success as our PMD's.

Now that Benning is in command the team will find and sign a PMD and contend once again.

I fear that's Weber/Sanguinettit until Hutton comes along in a couple years....

Does it matter? Salary wise that would have put him on the same level of Crosby, Malkin and Ovi, All 3 were making 9 million in 2011-12.

In no way was Ehrhoffs value 9 million.

Cap hit of $4 million.

Penguins will do very well with Ehrhoff this year.

I'm not disagreeing with you that PMD's are important. I just don't agree that Ehrhoff was worth the value he got and therefor a good decision not to try and match and to let walk. If crosby came out and said I want 15 million per season, I'd let him walk too. It's a cap world you can't have overvalued players.

Cap hit of $4 million.

Yeah penguins got a decent one year deal on him after a buyout that cost the sabres 44 million for only 3 years of him being on their roster.

Too bad he wasn't so greedy after the canucks run and was willing to take something reasonable. Say around 4.6 million for 5 years.

Please go and try and convince sabres fans that he was worth his front loaded 10 year contract. Good luck

Cap hit of $4 million.

Quit kidding yourself. If MG has signed him to the Buffalo deal you would have been crucifying him for signing yet ANOTHER cap circumvention deal to a player who isn't remotely worth that contract (evidenced by being bought out from it).

He wasn't worth the contract. Period.

MG's mistake was not properly replacing him (or eventually Salo).

Nobody's saying a PMD isn't important.

Archived