The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Benning's remake of Canucks an uncluttered picture

Ossi Vaananen

People don't really take note do they?

I guess not.

Apparently changing my opinion of someone over the course of 2 years based on their actions is "flip flopping".

By Ryan Strome's logic, once you have an opinion, you have to stick to it forever no matter what.

No, but in this case when you have an up and coming center like Horvat who is likely going to take over that third line center position next year, it makes Matthias' time here short term.

If that's the case, I would have rather received a draft pick or prospect for Lu.

Neither of them can play wing ? Neither of them can be traded? I think you're stretching a bit here - if it really is a complete disaster that we have possible 2 good 3rd C's coming up, we have TWO YEARS to do something about it

Gillis also had the benefit of being handed a team with the Sedins, Kesler, and Luongo in their prime.

Benning is likely going to have to completely remake this team over time. So it's a little different.

Well the situation is quite a bit different.

That's like saying Nonis and Burke weren't as good of GMs as Gillis because they didn't make the finals. Despite handing over Gillis his entire core.

A GM can only be as good as what he inherits. And Benning didn`t exactly inherit alot in terms of young impact players. So it`s going to take a little longer for Benning, if he`s afforded the amount of time it takes to rebuild a team.

Did anyone know Kesler was going to turn into what he did? Does anyone know what Horvat, Shink, Jensen, Virt, McCann et cetera are going to turn into?

Dude - you're totally applying double standards

MG 'inherited' 2 all-star players and (depending on who you listen to around here) a below average to awesome goalie and some players who surpassed their potential - thats pretty average when you look around the league.

After Gillis came onboard our centers became an improved Sedin, an improved Kesler, decent minutes guy and hofer Sundin, ozone guy Kyle Wellwood and pk guy Ryan Johnson. He also drafted Hodgson so that we'd have a decent center prospect available to us. That's way, WAY better, right out the gate.

On the other side, he was handed a top 10 pick to start the job, and had Hodgson fall into his lap.

He then managed to allow their relationship with Hodgson to deteriorate so much that he demanded a trade.

Neither of them can play wing ? Neither of them can be traded? I think you're stretching a bit here - if it really is a complete disaster that we have possible 2 good 3rd C's coming up, we have TWO YEARS to do something about it

Did anyone know Kesler was going to turn into what he did? Does anyone know what Horvat, Shink, Jensen, Virt, McCann et cetera are going to turn into?

Dude - you're totally applying double standards

Matthias is going to be a UFA. Do you really think he's gonna re-sign here if it's obvious Horvat is going to be our third line center? And our depth on wing isn't going to allow him to be a winger on the third line.

He also doesn't wanna be a fourth liner. That's why he wanted out of Florida.

As for knowing what Kesler was going to become, that's irrelevant. The fact is he became a two-way selke center here. That's a pretty good one-two punch for any GM to take over.

Matthias is going to be a UFA. Do you really think he's gonna re-sign here if it's obvious Horvat is going to be our third line center? And our depth on wing isn't going to allow him to be a winger on the third line.

As for knowing what Kesler was going to become, that's irrelevant. The fact is he became a two-way selke center here. That's a pretty good one-two punch for any GM to take over.

So you are saying for a fact that Matthias is going to walk and we will lose him for nothing?

As for Kesler - it's relevant because you said:

And Benning didn`t exactly inherit alot in terms of young impact players

again, you know this for a fact? JB might have inherited a lot more in terms of young impact players then MG did... time will tell

Lets not try and rewrite history. Part of the failure in 2011 was dues to Hamhuis injured and out for the entire finals, Edler playing with a brokem finger, Erhoff a dislocted shoulder, Rome suspended by Jeremy Jacobs and that's just the "D" Raymond out with a broken back. Schneider with panic attacks. To win the Stanley Cup you need a competant team, no injuries and a hot goalie. IMO had we had a full roster I think the series swing in Vcr favour

And so one could say the Bruins "broke" the Canucks.

And isn't that the point... to win the Cup, you have to outlast your opposition and that's exactly what the Bruins did and the Canucks didn't.

My point is I'm highlighting where the Canucks need to improve...looking at the past helps to see where the team has been successful and where they haven't been successful.

I'm pointing to the fact that our past "D" was very good and underrated. Very little has been done to address the down fall of our defense.

JB has put $6M into goaltending rather than improving our D. Obviously, he feels the Canucks will get more bang for their buck with Miller rather than improving our D with a shutdown and PMD, which Mitchell, Erhoff and Salo were to the Canucks.

I'm not saying our forwards or goaltending will be the Canucks Achilles heel, all I'm saying is the Canucks D will be the downfall of us not making the playoffs as it stands today.

I'm throwing darts at our D.

What a waste of time picking on the D?

3rd last in goals for and you think the loss of Mitchell, Ehrhoff and Salo is the reason for our demise?

Without wasting time regarding the specifics regarding each of these players being allowed to walk perhaps the best GM we can hope for is one that places the Sedins back into their prime and maybe he can drop in Linden and Bure at 24 also.

Gillis next to Pat Quinn got our team as close to the Cup as we've been. His fall from grace had more to do with an inability to convince management he was the guy worth doing a rebuild. He lost the fans and ownership and a business decision was made. You cant take away the fact that the best Canuck team of all time was on his watch and ultimately his bad moves and deflections made for an easy scapegoat when the fall went into hyperdrive.

As for JB....I'm a fan. I like his personality traits. He's humble and candid and comes from a championship program. He seems to know exactly what he wants and seems likely that he can screw up own it and make his next move count. Having Linden around just makes it that much more exciting. Whether he's gonna be better than MG is really guesswork.

What are you talking about?

How could I know what Gillis was gonna do before he did it... <_<

You're talking about like two years ago. :lol: I've been bashing Gillis for like over a year and wanting him to get fired. I thought he should have been canned before AV.

I'm referring to the fact that he never ever did anything he spoke of right from the beginning. His early trades were also brutal, not to mention he early on ruined what reputation he did have amongst his peers. So again very early on the signs were in place and people like me got slammed for pointing these things out.

I guess not.

Apparently changing my opinion of someone over the course of 2 years based on their actions is "flip flopping".

By Ryan Strome's logic, once you have an opinion, you have to stick to it forever no matter what.

It's how vigorously you argued it against me and others but then again maybe you're passionate during debates, who knows.

I really hope we don't lose Matthais. :sadno: He brings that all around size, skill, and battle the bottom 6 needs.

Not asking for a link, but are you saying you have direct personal knowledge of Gills being labeled "arrogant" by people who had to deal with him often?

Mistrust of the media can lead one to act in ways that might be construed as arrogant, and I think Gillis had every right to be mistrustful of them,

I have never heard a first hand report on Gillis' persona from someone who knew him, however my impression of him through the media is of a guy who enjoys working behind the scenes but hated being in the spotlight. I never perceived it as arrogance, just a guy trying to get through an interview who knows he isn't very good at doing them.

2011 he was buying duthie and crew shots cause he thought the Stanley cup was a lock for us.

Was he? I remember the interview he did shortly after the trade (kind of his introduction to Vancouver) but as I recall him saying he was more disillusioned with the general intangible losing culture in Florida. The crux of what he said struck me mainly as "I'd rather play a smaller, focused role on a winning team." But I'm going by general recollection it was a while ago.

What I was recalling is that Matthias was unhappy at how ice time was being allotted in Florida. Guys like Bjugstad and Barkov were being played ahead of him in many games, and I was speculating that the same situation could happen here.

With Sedin and Bonino as 1C and 2C for the next three or so years, the best Matthias can probably do is 3C. My previous post was noting that the situation in Florida could be duplicated if the Canucks decided to try Vey at 3C, or if they gave significant ice time to Horvat and/or Gaunce. And with Lain and Richardson being available to play as 4C, this potentially makes Matthias (an upcoming UFA) expendable as trade bait at the deadline. Also of note, Lain will be a RFA and Richardson will be a UFA at the end of this season.

So, with the continued improvement of Canucks prospects this could make Matthias decide to look for greener pastures as a UFA after this season, assuming he isn't first traded.

Personally, I hope he does decide to stay, but a lot depends on how the season goes.

regards,

G.

What I was recalling is that Matthias was unhappy at how ice time was being allotted in Florida. Guys like Bjugstad and Barkov were being played ahead of him in many games, and I was speculating that the same situation could happen here.

With Sedin and Bonino as 1C and 2C for the next three or so years, the best Matthias can probably do is 3C. My previous post was noting that the situation in Florida could be duplicated if the Canucks decided to try Vey at 3C, or if they gave significant ice time to Horvat and/or Gaunce. And with Lain and Richardson being available to play as 4C, this potentially makes Matthias (an upcoming UFA) expendable as trade bait at the deadline. Also of note, Lain will be a RFA and Richardson will be a UFA at the end of this season.

So, with the continued improvement of Canucks prospects this could make Matthias decide to look for greener pastures as a UFA after this season, assuming he isn't first traded.

Personally, I hope he does decide to stay, but a lot depends on how the season goes.

regards,

G.

I'm not seeing Matthias as a center at all on our roster. I dont think he see's the ice that well and his faceoffs are less than average as well.

There's a reason Benning wanted to move Burrows. Im pretty sure he see's Shawns best spot as a 3L. Something has gotta give.....too many veteran wingers at the tweener spots. For now depth is nice as surely someone will be hurt before long.

If Matthias finds a suitable role there is little doubt in my mind he will resign. My bet is WD and JB find that role.

Archived