The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does everyone drive above the posted speed limit?

ChrisCo!

Sorry, but it's not entirely that clear. It doesn't state "Keep right except to pass" anywhere in the article (but I understand and agree with the concept). The second paragraph in the Straight article implies that, but the first paragraph actually uses the phrase "crackdown on slow drivers". Slow is relative, so does the law mean you have to get out of the way of anyone wanting to drive faster? I could be passing people, but if the person behind me wants to go even faster, does that mean I could get a ticket if I don't pull over, even if I have to slow down to do it?

The article doesn't reference any legal text or more detailed info, nor does it answer my question about the freeway, and googling this only turns up similar articles on news sites or blogs, or general motor vehicle laws. I was just looking for someone closer to the news to provide some clarity, so when I come back to BC to visit I don't get ticketed for something that is not illegal or enforced elsewhere.

There's a photo right in the article...

http://d2ciprw05cjhos.cloudfront.net/files/v3/styles/gs_large/public/images/15/06/18124077033_32de8c0200_o.jpg?itok=jeU5tYjm

Please note what I underlined. The law is "Keep right except to pass". If you're passing people, what does that tell you...?

Once you've passed those people, you simply move to the right lane and let the faster people behind you, pass you. No laws broken. This really is not complicated.

As for your 80/90 KPH highway question, directly from the article:

As of today (June 12), drivers caught in the left-most lane on multi-lane roads where the speed limit is 80 kilometres or greater risk a $167 fine and three demerit points if they get caught by police.

Though please also note that as per the Link Elvis provided it can apply to ALL multi lane roads:

No one likes a left lane blocker. These are the drivers who inhabit the left hand lane on multiple laned roadway and are oblivious to the traffic behind them that want to pass by. Clearly, they believe that if they are travelling at or close to the speed limit, there is no need for them to move over to the right hand lane for others.

If you are driving in the left hand lane and you are driving at a speed less than normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing, you must drive in the right hand lane if it is practical to do so. It is important to note that the words speed limit do not appear anywhere in the last sentence. If you are slower, move over. If you choose not to, you are at risk of being ticketed for failing to keep to the right unless it is unreasonable to do so.

There are two exemptions to this rule. The first allows you to move into the left lane to pass someone travelling slower than you are and the second allows you to use the left lane to prepare for a left turn at an intersection or into a driveway or private road. Preparation for the left turn will depend on the traffic volume at the time, but it is unlikely that a kilometer or more will be considered acceptable.

Left lane blockers increase the risk caused by aggressive drivers. The aggressive driver cares for no one but themselves and will try to get by using any means available. By refusing to move over, the left lane blocker contributes to unsafe lane changes and tailgating behaviour. A defensive driver will reduce the risk by giving right of way even when the law does not require them to.

Not trolling, its not my responsibility to convenient anyone, unless I am driving way under speed limit. Speeders/road ragers should seek help, not the other way around.

Not to mention even if I stay at the right lane driving at speed limit, there are always tailgaters who refuse to pass me at left lane for some odd reason. So keeping right doesn't always help.

I have experienced tailgaters in the right lane before, the driver not only tailgate me, but turn on his high beam in an attempt to get me to drive faster. I ain't risking myself for a speeding ticket just to convientient. He eventually get the idea that no matter what i am not going to speed for him, he passed me after a while.

Actually it is your responsibility to be "convenient" to everyone on the road. It's your responsibility to be a courteous driver and not impede the flow of traffic. You can be ticketed for not doing so. I suggest you stop unwittingly breaking the law as it's apparent that's quite important to you.

I do agree it's a bit odd to tail gate you in the right lane when they could simply pass you but really, you're legally also supposed to drive with the flow of traffic. Even over the speed limit. You can also be ticketed for that FWIW.

Not everyone going 10-15KPH over the limit are "speeders/road ragers" FYI. They may simply be following the law of driving with the flow of traffic and being courteous drivers. You doing 15KPH less than everyone else, are actually one of the most dangerous people on that road.

That's asking too much for me to do something for people i barely know. And i ain't risking myself to get a speeding ticket just so you can be on time as well. I know you meant well, so please don't take my comment personally.

Nobody told you you have to speed (unless you're dangerously driving below the flow of traffic). Simply be a courteous driver and move over. It's the safe and law abiding thing to do.

Archived