The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does everyone drive above the posted speed limit?

ChrisCo!

Only time i have driven above the posted speed limit was this one time i hit this wicked jump.

Guess i am a left lane hog but i am a southpaw so it is warranted. Its hard to flip the bird and spit on oncoming traffic from the right hand lane.

Just do it from the HOV lane while going exactly the speed limit. Might piss off one of these speeding lunatics who thinks the HOV lane is the fast lane. :lol:

I'll leave it to you to ponder all the subjective, once again, logic follows Mr. Ambien.

No, this current law does not apply to HOV lanes. There's no mention in the article anywhere of logic. As RonTheCivil has frequently noted, logic rarely plays a large role in decision making where it come to our roads and laws, speed limits etc.

Just do it from the HOV lane while going exactly the speed limit. Might piss off one of these speeding lunatics who thinks the HOV lane is the fast lane. :lol:

Just curious, do you assume I drive above the speed limit in the HOV lane?

So, does this mean that the left lane is typically supposed to be clear (barring rush-hour), and that even those driving a little over the limit should move right except when actively passing someone in a slower lane?

For example, if you are on an 80kph 2-lane-per-direction highway, doing 80-90 kph and staying in the left lane consistently, even though there is reasonable opportunity go into the left lane, could/would you be ticketed? Or would it only happen if you were holding up faster drivers?

Also, does this only apply on "highways", or would the Trans-Canada freeway also count?

"Keep right except to pass." What does that tell you?

Everything you asked is in the articles posted.

Well that's the problem - most people aren't smart about it.

Banner4_780px.jpg

The fact that only 2566 didn't make it home actually demonstrates how most people ARE smart about it. Ya that number is probably too high but that's not even close to majority number of drivers. IMO it's all about keeping the flow of traffic moving. SOME people don't consider physics or use their brains and sometimes the above happens, but MOST are generally pretty good especially considering how infrastructure doesn't always meet the current demand and how hilarious dumb the average human is. The fact it's only 2566 is mildly impressive to me to be honest.

Even DriveSmart BC recommends yielding to faster traffic when in the HOV lane, when safe to do so. 'Simple self preservation may dictate that you move out of the HOV lane when the broken line appears, let the selfish driver go by and then move back.'

However, they also say that speed limit driving in the HOV lane means they're in the right and nobody should complain. But in a world where everyone speeds at least a little on the highway, this is of little comfort to actual drivers.

Slower than the limit drivers, who are a real problem that now everyone acknowledges, should yield to the slow lane, regardless of the amount of passengers they have. 'Nobody likes left lane blockers.'

In that light, I think a cop could use his best judgement to ticket an HOV lane lollygagger if he chooses to do so.

It's all just a big pile of common sense, really. Imagine a world in which everyone used it.

The fact that only 2566 didn't make it home actually demonstrates how most people ARE smart about it. Ya that number is probably too high but that's not even close to majority number of drivers. IMO it's all about keeping the flow of traffic moving. SOME people don't consider physics or use their brains and sometimes the above happens, but MOST are generally pretty good especially considering how infrastructure doesn't always meet the current demand and how hilarious dumb the average human is. The fact it's only 2566 is mildly impressive to me to be honest.

Tell that to their families.

Now I know how Buddas Hand feels...

"Keep right except to pass." What does that tell you?

Everything you asked is in the articles posted.

Sorry, but it's not entirely that clear. It doesn't state "Keep right except to pass" anywhere in the article (but I understand and agree with the concept). The second paragraph in the Straight article implies that, but the first paragraph actually uses the phrase "crackdown on slow drivers". Slow is relative, so does the law mean you have to get out of the way of anyone wanting to drive faster? I could be passing people, but if the person behind me wants to go even faster, does that mean I could get a ticket if I don't pull over, even if I have to slow down to do it?

The article doesn't reference any legal text or more detailed info, nor does it answer my question about the freeway, and googling this only turns up similar articles on news sites or blogs, or general motor vehicle laws. I was just looking for someone closer to the news to provide some clarity, so when I come back to BC to visit I don't get ticketed for something that is not illegal or enforced elsewhere.

I want to see how the RCMP translate this new law on the Coke. I'm in the slow lane doing 115km. Those Alberta plates going past me like I'm standing still. Very scary.

If you're doing 115, you're driving below the speed limit. If they are speeding that fast and the cops catch them, they will be ticketed.

What this law is in place for, is to stop people from traveling in the left hand lane when there is no reason. The only reason to go into the left hand lane is to pass, once you are finished passing then you merge into the right lane.

Far too often in BC you get people who use the left lane as a travel lane, and what this law does is makes it illegal which is a good thing.

If you're doing 115, you're driving below the speed limit. If they are speeding that fast and the cops catch them, they will be ticketed.

What this law is in place for, is to stop people from traveling in the left hand lane when there is no reason. The only reason to go into the left hand lane is to pass, once you are finished passing then you merge into the right lane.

Far too often in BC you get people who use the left lane as a travel lane, and what this law does is makes it illegal which is a good thing.

I simply don't get this law, so the left lane should be clear of cars in case someone feels the urge to pass a car? What a waste of roads then. I failed to see the point of this law, other than a money grabbing scheme. Just because the States implement thus idiotic ruled,it doesn't mean we have to follow.

I always drive at the speed limit, no matter what. There are always car tailgating me, even at the right lane. I sometimes intentionally hit the brake (only slightly, only press enough to show the red light at the back). Sometimes they get the message and simply passed me at the left lane, but sometimes drivers don't get the message and continued to tailgate, how rude. Well, he put himself at a dangerous position, and he is at fault if he hit me at the back.

I simply don't get this law, so the left lane should be clear of cars in case someone feels the urge to pass a car? What a waste of roads then. I failed to see the point of thus law, other than a money grabbing scheme.

It's not a waste of roads. Trucks, busses, vans, trailers should stay to the right. You can use the left lane to pass these vehicles and any other slower drivers. It's not rocket science.

It's not a waste of roads. Trucks, busses, vans, trailers should stay to the right. You can use the left lane to pass these vehicles and any other slower drivers. It's not rocket science.

There is no reason to pass any car, unless they are driving way under the limit. If they are driving at speed limit, it doesn't mean you can exceed the speed limit to pass them. If you do that, you should get a speeding ticket. If you are late or in a hurry. That's too bad, plan better next time.

There are always situation where you will be slowed down at traffic, if you are enraged because someone is driving slowly. Then you are the problem, not the slow driver... There are therapy sessions for people with such symptoms.

There is no reason to pass any car, unless they are driving way under the limit. If they are driving at speed limit, it doesn't mean you can exceed the speed limit to pass them. If you do that, you should get a speeding ticket. If you are late or in a hurry. That's too bad, plan better next time.

There are always situation where you will be slowed down at traffic, if you are enraged because someone is driving slowly. Then you are the problem, not the slow driver... There are therapy sessions for people with such symptoms.

Gee, aren't you squeaky clean. It's about traffic flow. Two people in two lanes doing the exact same speed holds up everyone. Speed limits are arbitrary. Hell, even cops don't do the exact speed limit.

Road ragers are way more dangerous than speeders. Let them pass, and they can be someone else's problem. I don't have issues with people doing the limit, just keep it in the right hand lane.

To be perfectly honest, it's people like you that this law was made for.

Who are you to determine how other people should drive? If you wanna stick to 100km/h on Highway 1 eastbound in the Langley-Chilliwack area, you go ahead, don't block me from going 120km/h in the left lane.

I'm putting myself at risk for a speeding ticket, but that's my choice, not for you to act as traffic authority and go 100km/h in the left lane and hold everyone up behind you. Not to mention you never know the personality of the person behind you, or a few cars behind you. You might flip the switch in a mentally unstable person and induce road rage and could find yourself in a heap of trouble when they figure out Mr. Clean is acting as a pace car in the left lane to tell others what speed limit to drive at.

Gee, aren't you squeaky clean. It's about traffic flow. Two people in two lanes doing the exact same speed holds up everyone. Speed limits are arbitrary. Hell, even cops don't do the exact speed limit.

Road ragers are way more dangerous than speeders. Let them pass, and they can be someone else's problem. I don't have issues with people doing the limit, just keep it in the right hand lane.

To be perfectly honest, it's people like you that this law was made for.

What flow are you talking about, the speed limit is the speed limit. If you are enraged by the law then you are the problem. Like I said before. If you are in a hurry or late, that's not my problem. Plan better next time. I ain't going against the law just to convenient you.

Thank God this new law doesn't apply to road slower than 80km/h, I will stay at the lane cruising at speed limit on whatever lane I choose to, thank you very much.

Archived