The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does everyone drive above the posted speed limit?

ChrisCo!

Who are you to determine how other people should drive? If you wanna stick to 100km/h on Highway 1 eastbound in the Langley-Chilliwack area, you go ahead, don't block me from going 120km/h in the left lane.

I'm putting myself at risk for a speeding ticket, but that's my choice, not for you to act as traffic authority and go 100km/h in the left lane and hold everyone up behind you. Not to mention you never know the personality of the person behind you, or a few cars behind you. You might flip the switch in a mentally unstable person and induce road rage and could find yourself in a heap of trouble when they figure out Mr. Clean is acting as a pace car in the left lane to tell others what speed limit to drive at.

Who are you to determine how other people should drive? If you wanna stick to 100km/h on Highway 1 eastbound in the Langley-Chilliwack area, you go ahead, don't block me from going 120km/h in the left lane.

I'm putting myself at risk for a speeding ticket, but that's my choice, not for you to act as traffic authority and go 100km/h in the left lane and hold everyone up behind you. Not to mention you never know the personality of the person behind you, or a few cars behind you. You might flip the switch in a mentally unstable person and induce road rage and could find yourself in a heap of trouble when they figure out Mr. Clean is acting as a pace car in the left lane to tell others what speed limit to drive at.

You are also putting others at risk, especially if you are trying to go faster than the general flow of traffic. You actually sound like the mentally unstable person you are describing.

What's the speed limit in the area you mention?

What flow are you talking about, the speed limit is the speed limit. If you are enraged by the law then you are the problem. Like I said before. If you are in a hurry or late, that's not my problem. Plan better next time. I ain't going against the law just to convenient you.

Thank God this new law doesn't apply to road slower than 80km/h, I will stay at the lane cruising at speed limit on whatever lane I choose to, thank you very much.

Actually you should stay in right lane unless you have a left turn coming in the near future, slower traffic keep right, keep right except to pass.

That is not a matter of choice to follow the law or not, you have to follow the law. That is not something up for discussion.

By speeding you are putting everyone at risk. The traffic flow should be the speed limit no matter what. What has this world come to? The speeder become the norm and the law abiding drivers becomes the outliers?

I am not acting as traffic authority, I am simply following the rule. Something you should have done. If you are late or in a hurry, that's too bad, plan better next time. If you have road rage, seek help.

No thanks, no such law requires me to do that, unless I am in a road faster than 80km/h

I'm not sure if you're trolling or just an idiot, if you keep to the right then you let knuckleheads like nuckspatsfan go past instead of having him behind you, I'd rather let him go past and laugh as I see him in the ditch 2 miles up the road instead of having him 6 inches off my rear bumper. It actually does help traffic flow smoother which makes it safer for everyone, also the lead foot idiots won't have to weave in and out of lanes if people driving the limit or slower stay to the right.

I'm not sure if you're trolling or just an idiot, if you keep to the right then you let knuckleheads like nuckspatsfan go past instead of having him behind you, I'd rather let him go past and laugh as I see him in the ditch 2 miles up the road instead of having him 6 inches off my rear bumper. It actually does help traffic flow smoother which makes it safer for everyone, also the lead foot idiots won't have to weave in and out of lanes if people driving the limit or slower stay to the right.

Not trolling, its not my responsibility to convenient anyone, unless I am driving way under speed limit. Speeders/road ragers should seek help, not the other way around.

Not to mention even if I stay at the right lane driving at speed limit, there are always tailgaters who refuse to pass me at left lane for some odd reason. So keeping right doesn't always help.

I have experienced tailgaters in the right lane before, the driver not only tailgate me, but turn on his high beam in an attempt to get me to drive faster. I ain't risking myself for a speeding ticket just to convientient. He eventually get the idea that no matter what i am not going to speed for him, he passed me after a while.

Not trolling, its not my responsibility to convenient anyone, unless I am driving way under speed limit. Speeders/road ragers should seek help, not the other way around.

Not to mention even if I stay at the right lane driving at speed limit, there are always tailgaters who refuse to pass me at left lane for some odd reason. So keeping right doesn't always help.

But you don't have to go out of your way to inconvenience them either and that seems to be what you are doing. It is your responsibility to do what you can to make things safe for others. Common sense driving, stay in the right lane until you need to make a left or come up on someone driving slower, leave enough space between you and the car in front to have time to react to emergency, leave enough room between you and the car ahead in the other lane so a faster car can get around without clipping you, don't drive side by side with another car or drive in their blind spot (those are pet peeves of mine). Look several cars ahead not just at the one in front of you (this is why I try to get ahead of buses and large trucks because they block the view of the road ahead even if the are going the speed limit). Adjust your speed to suit road and weather conditions, and the first rule my dad taught me about driving, always assume everyone else on the road is a complete a**hole, 99% of the time you'll be right.

But you don't have to go out of your way to inconvenience them either and that seems to be what you are doing. It is your responsibility to do what you can to make things safe for others. Common sense driving, stay in the right lane until you need to make a left or come up on someone driving slower, leave enough space between you and the car in front to have time to react to emergency, leave enough room between you and the car ahead in the other lane so a faster car can get around without clipping you, don't drive side by side with another car or drive in their blind spot (those are pet peeves of mine). Look several cars ahead not just at the one in front of you (this is why I try to get ahead of buses and large trucks because they block the view of the road ahead even if the are going the speed limit). Adjust your speed to suit road and weather conditions, and the first rule my dad taught me about driving, always assume everyone else on the road is a complete a**hole, 99% of the time you'll be right.

That's asking too much for me to do something for people i barely know. And i ain't risking myself to get a speeding ticket just so you can be on time as well. I know you meant well, so please don't take my comment personally.

This thread is why I hate driving in Vancouver.

Left lane = passing lane. Deal with it. If you're going down H1 at 80 and everyone else is going 90, stick to the right lane. It's safer for you, and for everyone else on the road. If everyone is going 70, then you're still more than welcome to go into the left lane to pass them.

You are also putting others at risk, especially if you are trying to go faster than the general flow of traffic. You actually sound like the mentally unstable person you are describing.

Have you ever been on the 1 east bound? The general flow of traffic including cops and border patrol is 120km/h. I'm the mentally unstable one for knowing the risk of a speeding ticket and willing to accept it if I get pulled over? :lol: If you wanna drive at your 100km/h or slower ,stay in the right lane or take back roads through cities.

What's the speed limit in the area you mention?

100km/hr until McCallum/Sumas Way and then 110km/h

That is not a matter of choice to follow the law or not, you have to follow the law. That is not something up for discussion.

By speeding you are putting everyone at risk. The traffic flow should be the speed limit no matter what. What has this world come to? The speeder become the norm and the law abiding drivers becomes the outliers?

I am not acting as traffic authority, I am simply following the rule. Something you should have done. If you are late or in a hurry, that's too bad, plan better next time. If you have road rage, seek help.

The same law that the authoritative figures who are supposed to enforce the law also break?

Again, by going 20km/h over the posted speed limit on an open highway in the left lane is not putting "everyone at risk." Most times I gotta go 120km/h just to keep up with the flow. I'm comfortable driving at 120km/h, hell, I'm paying a lot more attention going 120 on the highway than going 60 in the city.

The speeder has become the norm because the posted speed limits are outdated. Take 140th street (50km/h) in Surrey. You will never catch anyone going below 60 on it because that's become the norm. Going 50 on 140th feels like going through a school zone for 10km.

That's asking too much for me to do something for people i barely know. And i ain't risking myself to get a speeding ticket just so you can be on time as well. I know you meant well, so please don't take my comment personally.

Common courtesy is asking too much? Where was I asking you to risk a speeding ticket? Most of what I was saying is give yourself and others space to maneuver, if you're side by side with another vehicle neither of you has room if you have to swerve to avoid something (dog, child, car or bike coming out of a driveway)

Have you ever been on the 1 east bound? The general flow of traffic including cops and border patrol is 120km/h. I'm the mentally unstable one for knowing the risk of a speeding ticket and willing to accept it if I get pulled over? :lol: If you wanna drive at your 100km/h or slower ,stay in the right lane or take back roads through cities.

The same law that the authoritative figures who are supposed to enforce the law also break?

Again, by going 20km/h over the posted speed limit on an open highway in the left lane is not putting "everyone at risk." Most times I gotta go 120km/h just to keep up with the flow. I'm comfortable driving at 120km/h, hell, I'm paying a lot more attention going 120 on the highway than going 60 in the city.

The speeder has become the norm because the posted speed limits are outdated. Take 140th street (50km/h) in Surrey. You will never catch anyone going below 60 on it because that's become the norm. Going 50 on 140th feels like going through a school zone for 10km.

So if a cop commits a murder, does it make it okay to commit murder? Just because its an outdated law, that doesn't excuse you from violating the law. If you want faster speed limit, ask the government to do so.

So if a cop commits a murder, does it make it okay to commit murder? Just because its an outdated law, that doesn't excuse you from violating the law. If you want faster speed limit, ask the government to do so.

Comparing apples and oranges. Is me keeping up with the majority of the traffic and bypassing the slow, perfect, law abiding citizens who have never broken a rule in their life the same as murdering someone?

Saw a lady get pulled over on the 99 yesterday afternoon for not moving to the right when there were 3 cars behind her in the left lane wanting to get by. All 3 cars gave an approving honk to the officer (or a F U honk to the lady :lol: ) as they drove by.

I've driven through Chicago at rush hour that good enough for you? I do stay in the right lane until I need to turn left or have to pass, unlike our friend I do understand the concept of traffic flow, I usually do travel slightly over the limit unless road and weather conditions say otherwise, and get as frustrated as you with slow drivers in the left lane, I also dislike reckless Jacques Villenueve wanna-be's who drive faster than their abilities and put others at risk (you aren't the only one on the road)

I've driven through Chicago at rush hour that good enough for you? I do stay in the right lane until I need to turn left or have to pass, unlike our friend I do understand the concept of traffic flow, I usually do travel slightly over the limit unless road and weather conditions say otherwise, and get as frustrated as you with slow drivers in the left lane, I also dislike reckless Jacques Villenueve wanna-be's who drive faster than their abilities and put others at risk (you aren't the only one on the road)

Like I said, 120 isn't past my abilities. I do move over to the right when men suffering from small p*nis syndrome in their jacked up trucks are riding my tail at 120km and want to go 140km/h-150km/h on the highway because their wife hasn't hasn't experienced cloud 9 in months. /endrant

Some here are putting excessive speeding in the same category as speeding. Most people match traffic speed and drive at what they feel is a comfortable speed. I've almost always driven 10-15 k over the limit (on the highway)which usually matches other drivers. I have never been in an accident or even had a close call because of it. I find slower drivers to cause more dangerous situations because they force people to pass when they should just let people by. On city streets is an entirely different thing. Thats where enforcement needs to step up.

Archived